Profile for Donna (jaspertobycat) > Reviews

Content by Donna (jaspert...

Donna (jaspertobycat)

FitFlop Womens Gogh MOC Clogs 317-001 Black 8 UK, 42 EU, 10 US
FitFlop Womens Gogh MOC Clogs 317-001 Black 8 UK, 42 EU, 10 US
Price: 48.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Love fitflops, feels like I'm walking around in my slippers!

The Teashop on the Corner
The Teashop on the Corner
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Read it in three and a half ..., 5 July 2014
Loved it! Read it in three and a half hours and it should come with a warning - tissues required! Another cracker from Milly, absolutely loved it.

Don't Want To Miss A Thing
Don't Want To Miss A Thing
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I read it again,please?, 1 Feb 2013
I have been a Jill Mansell fan since ...forever so was really looking forward, as ever, to a new novel. So waiting until midnight until it downloaded onto my Kindle was torture! I really had to stop myself from starting it straight away!

The beginning of the book focuses on dashing Dex's tragic wake up call which smashes his man about town persona into one that realizes he is not the centre of the universe when his sister, Laura passes away.

His move to Briarwood heralds a new chapter in his life, not just a new home but also for the first time, he's in the unique position of making a female friend, Molly. Molly is one of Briarwood village's stalwarts but like in all of Mansell' s books, we are introduced to a number of significant others like Frankie and Joe, their daughter, Amber and the mysterious admirer she gains.

One of the many things I love about Jill Mansell as a writer is the fact she takes you on an emotional bumper car ride. You get knocked off course, cry and laugh and genuinely care about the characters.

Buy this book, in fact, buy them all, Jill Mansell never disappoints.

Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe
Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Sit down, feet up and enjoy!, 27 Oct 2012
As a long time Jenny Colgan fan, I was so looking forward to getting this and reading it in peace. And, yet again, it doesn't disappoint.

For those who read 'Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe', you return to London to catch up on Issy, Helena, Caroline, Pearl and lovely Louis. Time has moved on and so have the characters. Issy's cafe has become a firmly established business, her relationship with Austin, the delicious banker and his 'challenging' brother, Darny, has settled into something solid. However, like life does, this change when Autin is offered a new life and Issy is not sure if she wants to be part of it...

If you haven't read any of Jenny's books, do. She has a style that gathers you and envelopes you in the characters, even the ones you would want to cheerfully shake! She also provides in this book and the previous two, additional touches like the recipes. All her books are easily readable time and time again.

I do suggest though, have a cuppa, a chocolate digestive and a comfy sofa - you'll be there for sometime!

@jaspertobycat

Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams
Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams
by Jenny Colgan
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Rosie Hopkins - please can I have some more?, 7 April 2012
After being a fan of Colgan's books since 'Amanda's Wedding', I was looking forward to this book. Yet again, she doesn't disappoint.

Like many of her books, you are drawn into the character's life. There is a sense that the fast pace of Rosie's life echoes us all, not having the time to do anything except home and work. However, a family request changes it all for Rosie in so many ways.

It is the move to Lipton that signifies love on so many levels. Rosie's relationship with her delicious Great Aunt Lillian makes you giggle and cry at the same time. It also identifies with characters that exist in villages and the 'fish out of water' reality of moving from a city where no-one cares to suddenly everyone knows everything. The interplay of love, friendship and longing is carefully intertwined between the past and present All of this is before Rosie's 'wow' moment. The writing keeps you entranced and I couldn't put it down.

The research into the history of 20th century sweets is a love story in itself. Personally, it took me back to buying sweets from Mr Morruzzi's and the array of colours and taste sensations that place brought. In the book, Jenny takes you on a sensory trip down memory lane. Parma violets, my Gran's peppermint creams, Dad's Everton mints, cola cubes, liquorice and so on. You can almost transport yourself to the family sweet shop and indulge yourself in the richness of the surroundings.

I hope that we visit Rosie again (hint, hint - can we have a follow up book, please Jenny!) I want to find out what happens next, I want to see .... I can't, I'll spoil it for you. Buy the book, it is worth investing time and money in.