Profile for frogzilla > Reviews

Content by frogzilla

frogzilla (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Here Comes a Chopper to Chop off Your Head: The Dark Side of Childhood Rhymes and Stories
by Liz Evers

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, 17 Aug. 2015
It's entertaining but feels very short, almost abridged. Some of the fairy tales/nursery rhymes are followed by interesting facts on their evolution or history, others are simply quoted or summarised with no additional information. Given the subject matter, it's probably safe to assume readers are familiar with many of the plots and while an impartial synopsis is important to establish a baseline for stories changed over time and location, it's probably wiser to omit those that cannot be added to. You can use Amazon's handy "look inside" option to get an idea of the font size and compare with the number of pages to make up your own mind but in my opinion, it's over priced. Worth a read (it can be read in an afternoon) but check your library for it first.

The Flying Diggers
The Flying Diggers
by Ian Whybrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Good pictures, but informal text., 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Flying Diggers (Paperback)
Illustrations are good. Text is a bit informal for my liking, including such phrases as "a bit spesh" and "giving the diggers a go". I find reading "spesh" a few times every night grating. The pictures are strong enough that you can just talk about them rather than read every last word, every single time. My two year old requests it, enjoys it and particularly likes the pictures of "Granbam" in his workshed. It takes about three minutes to read, but you can talk about the pictures for a while longer.

For those who like diggers and can't bear reading slang, I'd recommend "A Bigger Digger" by Brett Avison and Craig Smith. The story is better, but the pictures are a bit fuzzier (but you can see that from the cover).

Smart-Trike Deluxe 3-in-1 (Green/Blue)
Smart-Trike Deluxe 3-in-1 (Green/Blue)

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the newer model if buying it at all, 7 Mar. 2013
I had a number of issues with this trike:
1. There is no brake. Stop on a hill and it makes a bid for freedom.
2. It's a real bone shaker. Hard plastic wheels mean your child feels every bump. And protests.
3. The turning circle is huge. You will end up lifting the front wheel.
4. Your child can steer while you are steering, which is tiring on the wrist and causes you to steer into hedges.

I notice newer models have a brake and rubber wheels, so I dare say they have as much suspension as a supermarket trolley. Maybe the fault is mine as I expected it to be a nice alternative to a buggy for short summer walks but I've ended up kicking it home every time I've used it.

Two stars rather than one because the handle makes a good pretend pneumatic drill.

Einstein's Riddle: Riddles, Paradoxes and Conundrums to Stretch Your Mind
Einstein's Riddle: Riddles, Paradoxes and Conundrums to Stretch Your Mind
by Jeremy Stangroom

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying riddles, 28 Feb. 2013
A lot of the riddles in this book have unsatisfying solutions. They're interesting but the "answers" are most often philosophical discussions on how the "riddle" could be answered given that there isn't really a right or wrong answer. Fine if you're expecting this kind of thing but not so much if you were hoping for more like Einstein's riddle. And it is short, too.

Nerf Super Soaker Scatter Blast Water Gun
Nerf Super Soaker Scatter Blast Water Gun

4.0 out of 5 stars Anti-cat, 1 Oct. 2012
So, I've only actually slightly dampened two cats with this but the pooping on the grass (honestly what cat poops on a lawn?!) has stopped. It could be the "fake cat" has scared them off, it could be they don't like the citronella sticks we bought but neither of those things gives me the satisfaction of seeing a cat's backside bounding away instead of laying a stink egg on my grass.

For the record, we also tried the green garlicky gel stuff (got stepped over), an electronic cat scarer (got pooped behind) and "Silent Roar" (it's lion poop - initial results were impressive when defecating kitty left us a mouse instead of a turd but didn't last).

I wish the rest of you well in your battles against feline excrement. This certainly seemed to earn me some grudging respect from the neighbourhood cats. It only loses a star on range - I would ideally like a "sniper rifle" style water pistol with a range of 30 metres but I don't think such a thing exists and I don't actually want to hurt the offending moggies!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 12:20 PM BST

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
by Roald Dahl

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a small paper back, 29 Aug. 2012
I was expecting the large paper back picture book I recall from many years ago but this one was smaller with black and white illustrations. My fault, I should have done my research! The large picture book with colour illustrations does exist but this isn't it. That said, it's an ideal size for travelling and the story is still great.

The Enormous Crocodile
The Enormous Crocodile
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 9 July 2012
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
Bought this for my (only just) 3-year-old and he loves it. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to read aloud so is quite long by the standards of his previous books (i.e. MUCH longer than most things by Julia Donaldson, Fairy Tales for Little Children (Usborne Picture Storybooks), I Really Want to Eat a Child but not that much longer than Dr Seuss - The Lorax) and I wasn't sure we'd get to the end of it when it arrived. It turns out it's exciting/gruesome enough to hold his interest and, as he seems to have memorised large chunks of it, we're moving on to The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me.

Fireman Sam - Saves The Day [DVD]
Fireman Sam - Saves The Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fireman Sam
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly vintage, 18 April 2012
First, episode list from the back of the DVD:
Beast of Pontypandy
Fit for Nothing
Neighbourhood Watch Out
The Case of the Liquorice Shoelaces
Firefighter of Tomorrow

This is "in between" Fireman Sam. You can probably tell by the pictures on the cover that it isn't the CGI new stuff but it does have lip sync (so not the earliest Fireman Sam). My 2.5 year old seems to like this era of Fireman Sam best as he finds it funniest. I've seen some of these on Cartoonito recently but they are infrequent and far outnumbered by the newer stuff. Characters are still recognisable, though, so might be worth the price for a few "new" episodes to watch. I like the witt and charm of this era of Fireman Sam, too, and the detail in the backgrounds makes it (almost) pleasant to watch repeatedly!

Fireman Sam - Norman's Tricky Day [DVD]
Fireman Sam - Norman's Tricky Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fireman Sam

4.0 out of 5 stars Very vintage, 18 April 2012
This is really early Fireman Sam - the character's mouths don't move yet (as far as I can tell, these ones come first, then the stop-motion with lip sync and then the CGI ones). That said, it's not a bad thing. The older ones seem a fair bit wittier than the new CGI stuff (even my 2.5 year old finds the old ones funnier, although the lip synched episodes are funnier than these). I haven't seen any of these on TV recently. But if your pre-schooler is used to the CGI stuff, it might be worth trying to find a clip of these on the internet before you buy the DVD as they might not see it as the "real" Fireman Sam.
Episode list (from back of DVD):
The Kite
Barn Fire
Trevor's training
Flat Tyre
Lost Cat
Camping
Telly Trouble

Bedtime Stories for Little Children (Usborne Picture Storybooks)
Bedtime Stories for Little Children (Usborne Picture Storybooks)
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as "Fairy tales for little children", 29 Dec. 2011
I bought this having previously bought Fairy Tales for Little Children (Usborne Picture Storybooks) and wasn't disappointed. Again, it has the right number of words per page for short attention spans (my son is 2 and a half) but enough words so that there is actually a plot. Somewhere between "That's not my..." and "The Gruffalo". These stories are a lot calmer than the fairy tales, the most exciting is probably The Reluctant Dragon and there's a real shortage of decent villains (or big, bad wolves), but that's probably appropriate for bedtime reading. The only disadvantage has been that my son now quotes his books and "What a beautiful pussy you are" can be misinterpreted (thankfully it's well known enough that it hasn't been yet).

Page: 1 | 2