Profile for Bali Babe > Reviews

Content by Bali Babe

Bali Babe (UK)

Gone: The Disappearance of Claudia Lawrence and Her Father's Desperate Search for the Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars A harrowing story but could be better written., 28 Oct 2014
Let me start by saying how much I feel for Claudias family. Having had a relative go missing I had a taste of what they're going through and it's an absolute living nightmare. I'm sad to say that didn't come across in this book. In my opinion Root focuses on names, places, facts and times far too much and the book ends up reading like a series of police statements and misses out how her friends and family are feeling whilst all this. It would help people to be able to sympathise with the Lawrence family to know what their life was like and how they felt when their daughter first went missing. It's a very one dimensional look at a family and a young woman whose lives were anything but and I felt their story deserved more. I found it very dry and hard to read and as I live within a few miles of Claudias house it's a subject I wanted to learn more about. I hope her family get some answers soon.

Ideal Telestrations
Ideal Telestrations

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: Ideal Telestrations (Toy)
Hilarious! Played this with a group of (rather tipsy) adult friends recently and by the end of the game most of we're crying with laughter. By game 2 we had a few children joining in and they seemed to enjoy it just as much. It's rare to find a game that crosses age barriers in this way. No one found it boring as it's fairly fast paced. You needn't worry about not being Van Gogh either. The worse your pictures, the more fun the game is!

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
by Eben Alexander

1.0 out of 5 stars How can this be heaven if he didn't die?!, 28 Oct 2014
I bought this looking for answers shortly after losing a family member and was left disappointed. I'm not sure how you can write about what heaven is like when you haven't actually died, just been unconscious and on some heavy duty drugs with heavy duty side effects. At no point was he actually dead. He says at the beginning of the book that he is not religious but then mentions going to church. I have never thrown a book in the bin before today but this just struck me as egotistical ramblings of someone who has decided this was a religious experience and that some celestial being has spared him because he is in some way special. He doesn't seem to have considered the other possibilities such as leis brain swelling and the toxic cocktail of sedatives, pain killers etc. Having just lost someone very special that aspect of grated on my nerves so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone recently bereaved. If you're hoping to know what it feels like to die then you're not going to learn anything here.

It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes that Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great
by Gwyneth Paltrow

1.0 out of 5 stars Where in Yorkshire do I buy these ingredients?, 15 Mar 2014
With an asthmatic son being tested for food intolerances & allergies I thought I'd give this a go. After all, Gwyneth looks amazing and she married Chris Martin whilst eating this stuff. CHRIS MARTIN! Ok, maybe my expectatins were too high. Once it arrived I was so disappointed. It was pretty to look at but full of American quackery about heavy metals causing migraines & as a nurse who suffers from severe migraines but has lived off home grown organic food all my life I found that irritating. Where is the research to back up what this guy told her? Did she just believe him without checking it out before she wrote a cookery book and changed her life? The photos in it were more self promotional than instructional and ingredients that I couldn't find in any health food stores or large supermarkets. Asthmatic son wouldn't even entertain eating most of it and the ingredients lists for things he considered trying were off puttingly long with things in them Id never heard of. I took it back without making anything in the end and Ive NEVER returned a cookbook before. If you have a cook, a nanny to care for the kids whilst you spend al day making this stuff, a rockstar income to afford the organic obscure ingredients & kids with cast iron stomachs who will do anything for a bit of tofu to go with their quinoa then this is the book for you!

Little Friends Huge Rodent-Hive Rat Ferret Toy, Luxury Chocolate
Little Friends Huge Rodent-Hive Rat Ferret Toy, Luxury Chocolate

5.0 out of 5 stars cosy, 15 Mar 2014
My chinchillas don't bother with their wooden box any more! This easily fits my 2 adult chinchillas. We've had this a few months now and it still looks great. It washes well and goes in the tumble drier. They love it, I love it!

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
by Henry Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, 15 Mar 2014
Having worked as a theatre nurse with several neurosugeons I always found brains, brain surgeons and their work fascinating. Mr Marsh manages to paint a picture in the readers mind of the patients, the hospital staff and his reasons for choosing his line of work, I wont go into more detail in case of spoilers. I read an extract in The Times and couldn't wait to get my hands on the book. It arrived yesterday and by the evening I'd finished it. I had to keep reading to find out what would happen next to Henry and his patients. He's an excellent storyteller with a fascinating and varied CV and obviously cares deeply for his patients. By the end of the book I was Googling about a career in neurosurgery and wanting to work with him!

The Family That Couldn't Sleep: Unravelling a Venetian Medical Mystery
The Family That Couldn't Sleep: Unravelling a Venetian Medical Mystery
by D. T. Max

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 2 Feb 2014
Having recently lost a loved one to a prion disease I found very little on the internet to explain the illness without contradicting itself, being inaccurate or impossible to understand without a doctorate. This book managed to inform and educate me at the same time as being fascinating, that's quite an achievement when discussing such a terrible and frightening disease.

River Cottage Every Day
River Cottage Every Day
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes as good as it looks!, 22 Jan 2011
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago after getting bored with my childrens constant requests for meals with sausages in every day and needing to find something quick and easy that they would eat. I have not been disappointed! EVERYTHING I have made from this book has been utterly delicious. I wouldn't have said it was necessarily quick to make all of it but it's one of very few recipe books I have bought where everything has come out well (With the exception of the sourdough bread, but I suspect that was me!). There are several of these recipes that have now been added to my favourites list, such as the butternut and nut butter soup, chocolate and beetroot brownies (youngest son spotted the coarsely grated beetroot so grate it finely if you have fussy eaters!) and chicken cooked with capers. Lots of flavourful, fresh, nutritious food that actually works. The major downside of this book is that my husband and I have both put on half a stone since Christmas. Oh well, you can't have everything!

The Puppet Company - Hide Away Puppets - Tawny Owl with 3 Babies Hand Puppet Hand Puppet
Offered by Puppets By post

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 4 Jan 2010
My 4 year old son got an awful lot of presents for Christmas but this is the only thing he's really played with so far! His favourite story is 'Owl Babies' and he has had loads of fun pretending that the little ones are Sarah, Percy & Bill. Tey can all hold each others wings thanks to little velcro tabs on the wing tips, or they can all be held tight be owl mummy. Any child who loves that book will love these soft little owls!

Lumie Bodyclock Sunray Sunrise Natural Alarm Clock to reduce SAD symptoms
Lumie Bodyclock Sunray Sunrise Natural Alarm Clock to reduce SAD symptoms

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 22 Feb 2008
I found it easier to get up in winter since having this but in summer I find it annoying. You can't have just the alarm without the light on, which is all I need from March to September. The light fades on gradually which is great in dark winter months but wakes you up half an hour earlier than you need in summer.Ideally you'd be able to have the option of switching the 'light alarm' off. Also, whenever there's a power cut it emits a loud beep when the power comes back on, not ideal in the middle of the night!
When all's said & done it does what it says on the tin and I do find it much easier to wake up & less of a shock than an alarm going off suddenly but I'd use a different clock during summer if you relish lying in bed until the last second!