Profile for C. De Lange > Reviews

Content by C. De Lange

C. De Lange ""Hendrix fanatic"" (Nijmegen, Netherlands)

Headless Heroes Of The Apocalypse/Outlaw
Headless Heroes Of The Apocalypse/Outlaw
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars forgotten jewel, 10 Aug. 2010
As a longtime fan of Alphonse Mouzon I came across these recordings only recently. Especially "Headless Heroes" is a real chessnut. Gene McDaniels has a beautiful voice. As an European I fail to understand why vice-president Spiro Agnew at the time tried to stop the distribution of this record. Sort of the same story as with Larry Young, who recorded "Love Cry Want" around the same time with Nicholas, Joe Gallivan and Jimmy Molneiri (another favourite of mine).
I find "Headless" much more exciting than "Outlaw" because of the fabulous rhythm section. Gene has a really smooth voice, and you can hear why Roberta Flack was a great admirer of his. I'm amazed how well Gene blended in with the current music when he made these records, because he was a little older than the postwar generation. Highly recommended!!

Live in Philadelphia '70
Live in Philadelphia '70

3.0 out of 5 stars too much Doors, too little perception, 19 Feb. 2010
I've always loved Who Do You Love from the Absolutely Live album, thinking it was played at Philadelphia. It was a major disappointment when I found out it wasn't. Like Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin The Doors IMO were often recorded while Jim Morrison was not in a real good mind set. Personally I don't feel well when I listen to a musician who is in a state of depression. I genuinely admire Jim's capability to handle a crowd, but often he comes over a little too heavy to me. If you want to hear the Doors at their best in this period, you should go for the Felt Forum box. I really look forward to the announced release of the complete Matrix tapes.

Kees from Nijmegen

The Doors: 30 Years Commemorative Edition [DVD] [2002]
The Doors: 30 Years Commemorative Edition [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ The Doors

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 15 May 2004
There is a lot of repetition on this DVD. The bonus track from the Isle Of Wight, e.g., offers only a few seconds from that performance and in stead again a lot of Hollywood Bowl footage is shown. The same holds for the Soft Parade documentary. I'm disappointed because in my opinion it would have been better to include The End at the Isle Of Wight (complete on Message To Love documentary) if there are only a few segments available of the IoW Break On Thtrough performance (but maybe there is much more?)because too much repetion is simply boring