ARRAY(0xb577551c)

Profile for Phil Sterland Robb > Reviews

Content by Phil Sterland Robb

Phil Sterland Robb "Phil" (Leamington Spa)

The Next Day
The Next Day
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowie back at his very best!, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Received the new CD through the post today and could hardly wait to get it into the CD player, and boy was I NOT disappointed. It is a grower, and some of the songs are a little off the wall, especially 'If You Can See Me' but all in all a fantastic return to form - proving that Bowie is by far the greatest artist this country has ever produced, way above the likes of many of his contemporaries, who for some reason seem only able to rely on trusty old favourites to score a new hit . It's incredible to think that at 66 he is still able to deliver an utterly original and totally relevant album. My only hope now is that he decides at some point in the future to tour!!

Absolutely Brilliant
Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2013 8:33 PM GMT

The Hipsters
The Hipsters
Price: 9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant return, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Hipsters (Audio CD)
I love this album - I wasn't sure if I would like it, because to be honest I never really liked Ricky Ross's solo stuff all that much, what little I have heard. But as a massive Deacon Blue fan, I can honestly say this is every bit as good as any previous Deacon Blue offering and a welcome return.

The Monster in the Box: (A Wexford Case)
The Monster in the Box: (A Wexford Case)
by Ruth Rendell
Price: 16.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a vengance!!, 6 Feb 2010
Ruth Rendell never ceases to amaze with her sheer brilliance, and this is never more apparent than in The Monster In The Box! I agree with a previous reviewer that Not In The Flesh was a bit flat, and rather disappointing. But this latest Wexford is a true return to form in bucket loads.

It is set in 1999 (for reasons that become apparent only in the very final twist of the book!) and upto forty years previous, a rare style for a Wexford novel. I personally felt that this borrowed from her other 'non Wexford' books, and for me this is what made it all the better!

Unlike your typical detective story (murder happens, detective and sidekick ride in and finally solve it, revealing the killer to be the last person you expected) this is very different. We know from the start that Eric Targo is, at the least, suspected by Wexford of murders over the last 40 years. The book examines Wexford's obseesion with his nemesis, as you might expect only in Rendell's 'whydunnits', but never strays too far from the norm, with secondary investigations by the rest of his team and, another first, flash backs into Wexford's past, allowing us, even after 27 or however many books, to still learn about, and never fail to be surprised by a man we thought we knew so well.

A masterpiece!! Possibly one of the best Wexfords I have ever read!

The City That Sleeps
The City That Sleeps
Price: 8.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Live Band, 23 Oct 2008
This review is from: The City That Sleeps (Audio CD)
Caught these guys as 1st act at the One Republic gig in Birmingham a few weeks ago. They completely blew me away (unlike the 2nd act, Headway, who I thought were dire!). Let's hope the big cheeses at Radio 1 and others get behind these boys like they did with The Enemy! (The lead singer is HOT btw! He stood next to me during the main show and we had a very brief chat!)Great band and I fully intend to buy the CD as soon as I get paid.

Into The Blues
Into The Blues
Price: 9.17

5.0 out of 5 stars The Joan album we have waited for for years!, 20 July 2007
This review is from: Into The Blues (Audio CD)
Joan Armatrading recording a complete Blues album - who'd have thought? We've heard plenty of her dabblings into the Blues genre with songs such as Friends, Tall In The Saddle and the probably completely forgotten Sometimes I Don't Wanna Go Home, along with countless other songs, but never an entire album dedicated to the Blues. This is a truly amazing album, from start to finish. Here we go track by track:

1. A woman in Love - More of a pop song with blues guitar attached but a good opener and lead single form the album.

2. Play The Blues - again more poppy but some great blues guitar and a great line with "Baby, when you sing the Blues I take all my clothes off for you".

3. Into The Blues - superb tiltle track and probably the best line on the album, "Dance may be real cool and country's just for fools. Baroque is just for the old, for the tired and restless souls, lost in the darkness". Sheer bliss!

4. Liza - A strange, earthy blues number that takes a long while to get used to, but I now love it, especially the up-tempo bit in the middle. A classic!

5. Secular Songs - Probably the one song from this album that would have easily slotted into any one of her last 4 or 5 albums. More Gospel than Blues, maybe giving vent to Joan's spirtuality? But great all the same.

6. My Baby's Gone - Pure BB King type full on blues - Bring it on!!

7. D.N.A - Another Pop/Blues marriage that she does so well!

8. Baby Blue Eyes - My early favourite and nothing has changed (except for being overtaken by track 11). I love the mandolin on this, the only track which is exclusively accoustic.

9. Deep Down - errr.....hated this for ages, quite like it now but don't quite get the joke, if indeed there is one, except for the inclusion of lyrics on the song sheet for this track which, I have to say, is simply hilarious! Sorry Joan, just not sure of this one at all.

10. There Ain't A Girl Alive - By far the best blues guitar on the album is in this one. A great full on blues/rock song, Joan proving she has balls, if you'll pardon the expression.

11. Empty Highway - This made me cry! It could have been written about me and my ex and has subsequently become my absolute favourite for this reason alone. Oh, and the fact that it is just a beautiful blues number of course.

12. Mama Papa - "I was born on an Island, St. Kitts in a little bitty town. Had a Mama and Papa, four brothers and a sister". A rare and indepth insight into the real Joan and such a great track too!

13. Something's Gotta Blow - If you have ever travelled on any line on the London Tube in rush hour, then you will get the point of this song. Written about trying to get home via the Northern line, this song is powerful, manic, moving, disturbing and brilliant rolled into one. The acapello vocals work so well and really do capture the sheer frustration and claustrophobia it is so easy to feel in this situation. Superb!

As I said, a truly amazing album and if you only ever want to have one blues album in your cd collection, you won't go far wrong in making it this one!

We'll Live And Die In These Towns
We'll Live And Die In These Towns
Offered by Lifes Essentials
Price: 4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Here To Stay, 20 July 2007
When you think of Coventry bands the one name that always springs to mind is The Specials. Well now there is another name to think of ...............The Enemy.

The first time I heard anything by The Enemy was in the Stores office at work, when Liam's dad, who I worked with at the time, brought in a copy of a 3 track demo they had cut in a studio. He had been talking about them for months and at the time was still their manager. To be honest, I was expecting just another pub covers band who could play a bit. What I heard in '40 Days & 40 Nights' an the other 2 tracks was an amazing sound, reminiscent of Paul Weller and The Jam, without falling into the trap of sounding like a copy or a re-hash of late 70's Mods. This was fresh and original, something new. Anyone with half a brain could tell these boys were going to be big!

Most impressive song for me, I think, is the title track, lyrically intelligent and very much, for me anyway, a tribute to Weller. If you want to, you can hear all sorts of influences from their predecessors such as Oasis, Weller/Jam, The Specials, but the bottom line is that these boys have enough originality and talent in their own right to rub shoulders with the best of them!

The Enemy are here to stay. I'm glad to have had the chance to have heard them way back when. Their energy is refreshing enough to make even old gits like me feel young again!!

Long may it last!