Profile for MR MARK G ORRIDGE > Reviews

Content by MR MARK G ORRIDGE

MR MARK G ORRIDGE

Sorrow Hill (Beowulf ~ Sword of Woden 1)
Sorrow Hill (Beowulf ~ Sword of Woden 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed,page turner!, 18 Jun 2014
I don't give five stars easily but like some of the other reviewers,I am a fan of the original Beowulf poem and Old English culture in general.This book far exceeded my expectations and had me downloading the rest of the trilogy immediately to my Kindle.The author has an in depth knowledge of the original poem and the period in which it is set.Characters from the original poem ie Breca and Unferth are expanded upon in ways that the original Beowulf audience would,I'm sure appreciate.As an old Soldier myself,I'm pleased to say that the battle depictions give you that feeling that you are there.. in the midst of the Shield wall with the fear,comradeship and yes humour that is familiar to warriors of any period.You do not need to be a fan of the original Beowulf poem to enjoy the book as it stands on its own as an action packed page turner but I'm sure that by the time you have digested this trilogy you will be as hooked on Old English/Germanic culture as I am.

Legionary: Land of the Sacred Fire (Legionary 3)
Legionary: Land of the Sacred Fire (Legionary 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!, 1 Feb 2014
I have just finished reading this,the latest in the Legionary series.There are some superb historical fiction writers out there and I have to say that this series ranks among the best.The later Roman empire is sadly neglected in book and film and these books,as well as being superb entertainment, are also an education (especially with the copious historical notes in the back). Being an ex Soldier myself, I can immediately empathise with the camaraderie of the main characters as well as the worry about those left behind at home.
These books are responsible for my ailment that I call "Kindle nose" that is I read them until I eventually fall asleep,only to be rudely awakened by the Kindle landing on my nose! I'm looking forward to many more "Kindle noses" from Gordon.