Profile for Ms. J. Mcandrews > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Mcandrews

Ms. J. Mcandrews "delighted parent" (uk)

Let's Play Math: How Homeschooling Families Can Learn Math Together, and Enjoy It
Price: 3.91

5.0 out of 5 stars an inspirational rethink about how children learn maths, 20 Dec 2012
This book is a creative and inspring challenge to the way maths is usually taught in school. It is packed full of ideas and resources to help children (and definitely adults too!) develop their learning about the art of numbers. In a culture where maths anxiety is now a diagnosable problem, this book shows the way to maths joy.

I bought Let's Play Math because I am home educating my 6 year old daughter and wanting to get more confident with maths as her interest in numbers and ideas was growing. I know the way maths is usually taught in schools is limited and unhelpful but I didn't know what the alternative was. Denise Gaskins writes in a very clear, encouraging way, offering games and resources that my daughter loves. Reading this has changed the way I think about maths forever and I feel so much better resourced to support my daughter and her friends to explore the exciting world of maths.

This book is written for home educators and I believe it is an essential resource for us all. However I think it is also hugely relevant for school teachers and other educators - it could revolutionise the way maths is taught to children.