Profile for TVgold. > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Doctor Who - The Complete Ninth Series [DVD] [2015]
Doctor Who - The Complete Ninth Series [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

3.0 out of 5 stars For some reason best known to those who create them, 7 Mar. 2016
Doctor Who boxsets are uniquely irritating. For some reason best known to those who create them, they always without exception come with the audio commentary preset. No other boxset does this -just Doctor Who boxsets. So you have to work out how to remove the commentary, and then do it to every DVD in the set? Why?

Peter Capaldi had a lot of potential as the Doctor Who. He was very much a retro sixties type Doctor. But unfortunately he became the victim of the new camp pseudo comedic style and as a result this series isnt really very good. The scenes with the Doctor and the guitar are so very embarrassing. Whenever there is a potentially scary or tense moment, its defused by comedy and banter. Take the scene where the Doctor finds himself in the middle of the Dalek control room for example, what he do? He performs a silly conjuring trick with a cup of tea. It all goes downhill from then on.

The episode with the Vikings was the worst episode I have ever seen -and by the way the Vikings did not have horned helmets.

The one really good episode was the one where Clara died. But then they went and spoiled it by making her come alive again. So very patronising to the viewer that the makers should not consider the viewer not to be mature enough to cope with the death of a companion.

The return of the Timelords -considering that all previous 8 series had been building up to it - was a massive anticlimax, descending into pantomime The makers should take Doctor Who off the air for a few years and use the time to reboot the series. Study the classic series, the tension, the scariness, the strong storylines and scripts.

It is very hard to believe that this was the same Doctor Who which gave us Genesis of the Daleks.

And please please Doctor Who DVD boxset makers, when series finally10 comes out, can you make sure that there is not a voice in the background telling us what we are looking at.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2016 3:13 PM GMT

Spectre [DVD] [2015]
Spectre [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars but I'm sad to say I found it very disappointing and boring, 23 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Spectre [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
I'm a big Bond film fan -especially of the Connery movies, which Craig himself says he bases his Bond perforrmance on.

I was looking forward to this movie, because it features the return of Blofeld and SPECTRE which was the mainstay of the Connery era, but I'm sad to say I found it very disappointing and boring. There is a lack of plot, of style, even of menacing music (although I like the theme song). I also found the eye gouging scene unnecessarily over the top brutally violent and am amazed that the movie was passed as a 12, and that such a scene was described as "moderate violence". The film lacked style and plot and was too long and became tedious. The return or the rebooting of Blofeld was a big disappointment. Here was a colourful, larger than life villain from the classic Bond era, head of a world criminal organisation, and it was all a bit of a anti climax. I enjoyed Skyfall but the reboot in general hasnt been a great success for me, and the producers should go back to the Connery era for inspiration, and learn that you can have a hard edged Bond but have a decent plot, scary villain, without sickeningly brutal violence, and keep you on the edge of your seat throughout. SPECTRE failed to live up to its great past.

Fingersmith
Fingersmith
by Sarah Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and unputdownable, 13 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Fingersmith (Paperback)
Sara Waters is a genius. I wish she would bring out a new book more often. Beautifully written and unputdownable.

The Lake House
The Lake House
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant mystery unravelled layer by layer, 10 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Lake House (Hardcover)
Kate Morton never disappoints. Another brilliant mystery unravelled layer by layer. A haunting page turner which led me to go to bed later and later because I could not put it down. Excellent.

Exodus: Gods and Kings [DVD] [2014]
Exodus: Gods and Kings [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale

1.0 out of 5 stars An American at pharoah's court., 4 May 2015
This is a truly terrible and disappointing film. Christian Bale is an American Moses at the court of the pharoah and about as unlike the Biblical Moses as you are likely to get. Its a very boring film. I get kept looking at the clock to see how long it was before it ended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2015 6:08 PM BST

The Hours
The Hours
by Michael Cunningham

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the movie years ago and loved it. Recently I read the book too and ..., 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
I wont add to anything already said, other than this. I saw the movie years ago and loved it. Recently I read the book too and was amazed that the book was as beautiful and as haunting and a inspirational as the film. This is a book that I cant get out of my head, nor would I ever want to do so. A masterpiece.

Independence Day [1996] [DVD]
Independence Day [1996] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Offered by Assai-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars This has got to be one of the worst movies of all time, 19 Dec. 2014
This has got to be one of the worst movies of all time.
Under the disguise of a science fiction alien invasion movie, this is in reality just a gung ho flag waving exercise in American chauvinism. The script is terrible, and cringeworthy. If I was a reasonable measured and moderate American I would die of embarrassment watching this.

Time and Time Again
Time and Time Again
by Ben Elton

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this book reluctantly because although I love history and am fascinated by idea of time travel, 23 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Time and Time Again (Hardcover)
I bought this book reluctantly because although I love history and am fascinated by idea of time travel, I was worried about Ben Elton, and didnt feel he could write a book that could seriously engage me. I was pleasantly surprised. True, there is occasionally a populist "tabloidy" feel to the writing, and the way that professor Mckluskey -a truly absurd character- expresses herself is an embarrassment. Not only would a Cambridge history professor have more knowledge than she displays of the complexity of the causes of the First World war, but I doubt whether she would express herself in the welter of coloquiallisms and "blimeys" that we are forced to endure from her.
Having said that this is a very good, engaging and thought provoking book which brings 1914 to life and I learned a lot from it. Highly recommended.

Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars and exceeded the quality of even the other brilliant Shardlake mysteries, 22 Nov. 2014
Its been a long wait for the latest Shardlake book, but its been worth it. C J Sansom has excelled himself, and exceeded the quality of even the other brilliant Shardlake mysteries. Beautifully written, with a complex and compelling plot, it gives a chilling and stark portrayal of the "little man" caught up" in the ruthless and machiavellian intrigues and power struggles at the Tudor court, presided over by the great hulking tyrant at the centre of the spider's web, Henry V111.

The Shardlake series is as good as Dickens, and I hope there are many many more Shardlake books,-and we dont have to wait quite so long for the next one. A masterpiece.

The Passing Bells [DVD]
The Passing Bells [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paddy Gibson
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Passing Bells [DVD] (DVD)
This BBC series was an outstandingly beautiful sad and deeply moving account of two young men fighting in the First World War. What makes it different -and outstanding -is that the two men are fighting on opposite sides. This is not a patriotic British good guys, Germans bad guys, King and Country drama. No judgments are made, no sides are taken. It is simply an account of one British young man, and one German young man caught up in a senseless, tragic, horrific war.

I am not one of those people who cry easily when watching TV. But I unashamedly cried several times when watching this series and at the end. The BBC and all associated with this drama should be congratulated ten times over. It was simply beautiful.

Page: 1 | 2