Profile for neillien > Reviews

Content by neillien

neillien

BenQ RL2455HM LED 24 -inch W Gaming Monitor 1920 x 1080, 1000:1, 12M:1, 1 ms GTG, DVI/HDMI x 2/speakers - Black/Red
Offered by elevenfirst

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't meet my expectations. Disappointed., 4 Jun. 2014
Coming from a 22" 1680x1050 £100 Samsung monitor, with 2ms GtG, I had high expectations for this 'gaming' monitor with it's 1ms GTG. The monitor also reviewed very well. Perhaps that contributed to my disappointment.

I expected more from the quoted 1ms GTG performance, but be aware that this is not a true 1ms and is achieved by panel over-drive technology called AMA. The down-side of this AMA is awful after-glow (inverse ghosting). You can turn off the AMA but then you are only getting 5ms GTG and in this mode there is noticable motion-blur. There is a middle-ground setting (3 options are Off > High > Premium) but this just seems to give you a bit of both ghosting and motion-blur.

It saddens me to say my old monitor performed better under motion. It's a shame because the monitor looks great and can achieve a fantastic still image with the right tweaking.

Unfortunately I'll be replacing this monitor as soon as my finances allow, and I wish I hadn't kept it now (I was trying to see if I could adapt, but turns out I can't).

My advice, avoid AMA technology, and buy either a cheaper 2ms monitor like Asus VE247H, or invest a bit more in a high Mhz monitor like the 144Mhz Asus VG248QE.

Lazerbuilt Bench Universal Smartphone Sock - Grey
Lazerbuilt Bench Universal Smartphone Sock - Grey
Offered by AP-Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Great functionality but disappointed with product quality., 4 Jun. 2014
5/5 for the supplier (Electric Blush), fast delivery, well packaged.

3/5 for the sock.

Negatives:
- I expected better quality from a major brand. After only a few days of use the little black Bench tag at the top has torn off, not at the thread, but the actual rubber has torn. Maybe I just got unlucky with a faulty one.
- One minor point but important to a fussy person like me, the sock hasn't been stitched squarely. It's not a true rectangle but miss-shaped and bunched up unevenly at the bottom.

Positives:
- It fits the phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace) tightly and securely, and has a nice thick velvety interior which cleans your phone.
- It's very well padded and provides good protection for your phone, I'm guessing even it you dropped it (although I haven't tested this!).
- Despite the negatives I still feel it offers good value for money at only £5, and I'm going to continue using it.

Samsung I8150 Galaxy W Sim Free Smartphone
Samsung I8150 Galaxy W Sim Free Smartphone
Offered by Prepaymania

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone in the £250 price range., 23 Nov. 2011
Before release of the W I was looking at getting either the Galaxy Ace or the Galaxy S2 (I'd also looked at similar spec HTC's, but preferred the Samsung designs). The Galaxy Ace seemed like a great phone but I really wanted the extra features of the S2, like higher screen resolution and browser Flash support, but didn't want to pay £500 (I don't do contracts). I decided to wait for the W, and I definately made the right choice.

The phone is positioned perfectly as a mid-range between the Ace and the S2, but is actually much better than the price would suggest in my opinion, and certainly closer to the S2 than the Ace. Essentially you are getting all the good features of the S2 for half the price. The main difference is obviously the screen, but Super Amoled is always going to look better, that's why it's double the price! Then of course there's slightly less internal memory, single vs. dual core processor, and 8MP Camera with 1080p video vs. 5MP camera with 720p video. But these were all compromises I was happy to make for the price difference.

It's still a great display though, and the same high resolution as the S2 means text and images are sharp and clear, unlike the Ace which I thought was a bit too 'pixelly' for my taste, and didn't provide the same legibility as the W. I'd never considered reading books on this phone, but after playing around with Kindle and Google Books, I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The display also makes web browsing a joy, and the 1.4GHz processor ensures that everything is smooth and responsive. Pinch-zooming and page scrolling is lag-free, and I haven't yet found a website (even full non-mobile sites) that this phone has problems with.

Some people have described this phone as 'plasticy' or feeling cheap, but I really don't see why. To me the phone feels solid and reassuringly heavy, with a nicely textured back giving a great grip. I think perhaps too many people compare to the iPhone, but for me 'plastic' isn't a bad thing.

So, any negatives? Well only a few minors.

Battery life could be better I suppose. A full charge goes down to about half after a few hours of heavy usage e.g. browsing, downloading, gaming, camera, etc. But being a new toy I'm using it a lot more than I guess is normal. Sticking the charger in each night at bedtime is no big deal.

Also, camera pictures aren't quite as 'sharp' as I expected, slighty more grainy and softer edges when compared to my actual Fuji 5MP camera. But I'm really being picky here, it's certainly not what I would call bad.

Overall I'm delighted with my new phone, and I would recommend this phone to anyone shopping for a mid-high range Android phone. There really is nothing out there at the moment in this price range to beat it.