Profile for Darryl Curtis > Reviews

Content by Darryl Curtis

Darryl Curtis "Max" (Shepperton)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dyson DC19 Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC19 Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by eurosale-net

2.0 out of 5 stars Dyson Disappointment, 13 Jan. 2008
Maybe I believed the hype too much, and bought my dyson on perception rather than anything else.

To a dyson novice, I thought very simply that all Dysons would be better than all existing vacuum cleaners, bearing in mind even in the sale this model is 3 times the price my last cleaner.

Anyway i got it home, expecting it would make vacuuming easier, picking up stuff no probs. Well it didn't

I have carpet, which i assumed the dyson would work it, as it said the flat head would work on all floors. This is the bit that picks up the grime. Well it might work well on wooden floors, or lino, but on carpet I just found it pushed the dirt around. This was because there were virtually no brushes on the "flat head". Ground in dirt was sucked up but not detached from the floor.

I range Dyson, and they said I need to spend even more money for it to work on Carpet!!!!!! It was already £150, and despite saying it worked on all floors, it doesn't. I have to buy the turbine head... which costs as much as a normal vacuum.

I have to be fair and say that it does have great suction, and it looks good, and a lot of grime quickly gets sucked into the cylinder.

Non the less I don't think models which come with the flat head only should be sold as suitable for carpet, unless you have clean carpets already and don't want it to pick up dirt.

I am gutted as I was looking forward to owning a Dyson so much
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2014 5:02 PM BST

Radio 1's Live Lounge
Radio 1's Live Lounge

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Gold, 16 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Radio 1's Live Lounge (Audio CD)
I am gutted cos I have lost one of the CDs in this amazing double album. Even with one CD is is TOPS. My favorites are Lemar singing the Darkness Track, and James Blunt singing Lemar..... as I said Pure Gold!

Inside Man [DVD]
Inside Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars How people can not like this film... I do not know, 16 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Inside Man [DVD] (DVD)
I am mystified why people don't all give this film 5 stars. It is a clever plot, that few would guess, and a film where you look at each other when it ends, and say. So that's what happened... but what about... and how did that... and was he....

I loved it. I also thought it was pretty original, having never seen a film quite like it.

I don't think it is the strongest acting that Denzil, willem, jodie or clive have ever done, but hey they each have some amazing performances between them. It is the script that makes this film stand out, well performed by a strong team, without exceptional standout performances, but hey that is no bad thing.

Just Sit Back, and try and predict what is going to happen, it is a hell of a ride!

Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS)
Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS)
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro Gaming at its best, 17 July 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am showing my age, but I used to play this at my mates house 15 years ago. I think it was on the N64, but I forget now as it is so long ago.

I was always looking for a game to match it for my PS2, and never found anything to come close.

I recently bought this with my new DS, and I am not disappointed. It has just the same gameplay. It has a slight improvement in that there is a map in the bottom section of the DS. This is helpful for the paint that splats of your face.

Its the sort of game that you can't put down. You just push and push to get those Star ratings for cups, so you can unlock the tracks. The difficulty level is just right, with 50, 100 and 150 speeds. I have only really managed to get to 100 so far, with 2 weeks of playing.

The graphics are true to the original as is the sound.

It is basically a fantastic game from back in the day, brought to the fantastic new format of the DS. Another huge pat on the back to Nintendo!

More Brain Training with Dr. Kawashima. How Old is Your Brain
More Brain Training with Dr. Kawashima. How Old is Your Brain
Offered by CD Dixie

5.0 out of 5 stars This a whole new way to use a game console, 17 July 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
OK - so I am behind. I never played the original brain training, and I only just bought my DS. I am 32. I have got tired of consoles and games. I recently played on my friends PS3, and yeah the graphics are great, but the gameplay on the games is the same old stuff it has been for the last 10 years.

Nintendo are changing all that. Just as they did back in the say of Game and Watch. Not only is the DS an innovative format with the stylus and two screens, but they are getting games released that will change gaming forever.

I love the way this game interacts with you. It keeps a track of real time, and is a genuine training assistant. If you log on at 11.50pm he says, my it's late, you know sleeping is good for you, if you come back day after day he congratualtes you. It is a very small detail, but it just makes the whole thing very personal.

The format works really well. Nice touches like for left-handed people it flips the whole thing round so you can easily play it.

The games are not graphical wonders, they are very clever and functional. They stretch you brain, just as they are supposed to, and you will find yourself competing with your personal bests to improve.

I haven't explored the whole of this game yet, as you keep earning extra features the more you play.

I congratulate Nintendo for bring genuinely innovates games and platforms out - and joy it is selling more consoles and games!

Buy this game as soon as possible.

24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD]
24: Season One DVD Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kiefer Sutherland
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me 5 years to find it, but I am glad I did, 17 Mar. 2007
I never understood the hype around 24. I never got to see the first episode on TV of any series, and couldn't dedicate the time to it, so never gave it a chance.

Someone recently said it was like the Bourne Identity, which I loved and the box set was very reasonably priced on amazon at the time, so I thought I would give it a go.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! By the second episode I was hooked. The pace keeps on going through each episode, with more twists and turns than a roller coaster. OK so some of them are a little contrived, but you forgive the show, cos it is so clever. It sucks you in, to thinking you have worked out what is going on, then it twists the other way and you have to rethink everything.

Be warned though. It will take over your life, and you will not be able to turn it off
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2012 9:57 PM GMT

2d TV: The Complete Series 4 [DVD] [2001]
2d TV: The Complete Series 4 [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Enn Reitel

3.0 out of 5 stars FAB!!!!! but dates very quickly, 24 Dec. 2006
While I laughed my head off when I watched this on TV, and it reminds me of my teenage years when I loved Spitting Image, the problem with cutting edge political/entertainment world comedy is that it isn't as funny time after time. I'm not sure if it therefore a great DVD purchase, despite it's TV brilliance. Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist, but I want the DVDs I buy to still be funny 2,3,4,5,6 years after I buy them.

Bend It Like Beckham [DVD] [2002]
Bend It Like Beckham [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Parminder Nagra
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming and educational, 20 Sept. 2006
As a white guy who has been seeing a Sikh girl for 2 years this film has been great as entertainment and education. My girlfriend tells me that it is highly represenative of her family upbringing, and as I haven't been able to meet her wider family it has been a great insight for me.

The way the story unfolds also fills my heart with happiness as it shows that with hard work, care, thoughfullness and time cultural problems which may exist can be resolved. The film gives me hope.

So after all these emotional thoughts, what is it like for the average punter. Well it is a great British Comedy, with some romance delicately thrown in. But most of all it is inspirational for anyone wondering if they should follow seemingly impossible dreams.

Back To The Future Trilogy [4 Disc Ultimate Edition] [DVD]
Back To The Future Trilogy [4 Disc Ultimate Edition] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael J. Fox
Offered by bubblegum uk

5.0 out of 5 stars My essential childhood films, 25 Aug. 2006
I remember the day that I went to see Back to the Future at the cinema back in the 80s. I was trembling with excitement, it was the biggest film of the year, and involved thousands of kids (and adults come to that) dreams. Time Travel. The film delivered a science fiction geeky subject in a very non geeky way. A bit like Star Wars really, a science fiction film that appealed to non-science fiction geeks.

There are so many great bits. The rocking soundtrack from Huey Lewis to the Special Effects, the cheesy jokes, the stories that just race along, never giving the viewer time to get bored.

My Rating of the trilogy is

Back to the Future 1 - 5 Stars

Back to the Future 2 - 3.5 Stars

Back to the Future 3 - 4.5 Stars

1 Is quite simply the best because of it's originality

2 Was in my view too dark. It lost some of the charm of the first film, with the world turning bad and evil when Biff is running the place. It sounds ridiculous to say it in a film about time travel, but it stretches reality too far

3 Was nearly back to the form of the first film. It follows the original formula much better, but a great twist of the wild west, which adds a whole new twist.

There are of course a whole stack of extras in the boxset, which are pretty good, but of course nothing can come close to be as good as the films themselves, which is why you are going to by this.

Buy a piece of your childhood memories and cheer yourself up by watching it frequently. The secret to a happy life!

Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels [DVD] [1998]
Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Jason Flemyng
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Guy Ritchies Best, 21 July 2006
Lock Stock rocks along at a pace. The energy driving the cast on is unlike any film I had seen before or since. I am never quite sure if this is best described as a comedy or a gangster film. I certainly is funny is a dark way.

4 dodgy guys (apart from soap) get involved too deeply in a game of cards, loose a load of cash that they don't have. The chaos insuing when they try and work how to get it back, and hatch a very unsafe plan is great to watch. The complexity of the intertwined stories means this film is best enjoyed a few times over, so you have to buy it.

One of my favorites