Profile for dasbunker. carmarthen > Reviews

Content by dasbunker. car...

dasbunker. carmarthen "dave smith" (carmarthen)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Caine Mutiny Court-Martial [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Caine Mutiny Court-Martial [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Eric Bogosian
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 11.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filmed version of the stage play, 23 Oct 2012
I never got the chance to see this on the stage. I ALMOST got to see it with Charlton Heston as Queeg, but didn,t quite make it. However, this filmed version is superb. The acting is excellent, and Brad Davis makes a very watchable Queeg with all the right facial twitches, ball bearing rolling et al. It is obviously a much extended version of the court martial that appears in the film (The Caine Mutiny - Humhrey Bogart as Queeg) and one might think that this play suffers because you see nothing of the events that lead up to Queeg being relieved as Captain of the Caine. This is actually not so. The play stands alone quite nicely although it obviously helps if one has seen the original film or read the book. All in all, if you are a fan of rivetting courtroom drama, then this should be right up your street. And if you HAVEN'T read the book by Herman Wouk, then do so immediately!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2014 9:17 PM BST

Forged by Fire: The Battle Tactics and Soldiers of a WWI Battalion the 7th Somerset Light Infantry
by Brendon Moorhouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Inexcusable error in the printing process., 21 Oct 2012
First of all, let me make myself very clear. This low star rating has nothing to do with the content of the book.It is very well written and is a superb account of the formation of a WW1 battallion from its formation in 1914, and its history throughout the first world war. The research is formidable. No, my grievance is with the book itself, not the content. I don't know whether this error extends through the whole production batch, but there are 33 pages missing from the copy in front of me. This is a new library book, and page 112 is followed by a few pages of photographs. The text picks up again at page 145. This means that 33 pages are simply not there. Contained within them should be two whole sections entitled "Winter on the Somme" and "Pursuit to the Hindenburg Line." Parts of "To the Green Fields Beyond" and "Langemarck" are also missing in this section. This, let me tell you, is highly frustrating. You are engrossed in the battalion's exploits during an October battle on the Somme, flick over the photos, and are suddenly in Flanders the following year. Inexcusable! If any reader of this actually owns the book, I suggest you check your copy now. As stated, I'm reading a library book so I've lost nothing, but I would be very annoyed at having such a flawed book in my library if I owned it.

Scarce [DVD]
Scarce [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Warren
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.00

2.0 out of 5 stars It could have been so much better, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Scarce [DVD] (DVD)
Well, the other reviewers have all said it. It's been done before many times - some better and, let's be fair, some worse. After the abysmal opening 15 minutes, things started to pick up after the car crash. Ivan, the owner of the house/cabin in the woods was an interesting character. One of those amiable guys with a definite underlying aura of menace.Oh, and a definite need for a good dentist. Once his true colours are shown things go downhill fast. Lots of gore a la cannibal style, and Ivan's sidekick in crime who WILL insist on wearing a welding helmet. Why? He's not trying to hide his identity. We know who he is, our two protagonists know who he is, and it must restrict his vision incredibly during the chase sequence in the snow.
Ivan has a little foible whereby he likes to let his victims make a run for it through the snow and then shoot them. All very well, but he's a lousy shot. He has an Enfield rifle with a telescopic sight and can't bring them down at a range of about 50 yards. Not that the film makes an issue of it, I just couldn't help noticing. This is a guy who survives by hunting. On this evidence he'd have died of starvation years ago. Around this point it all goes a bit Carry On Cannibal. A scene at the end has a lot of nubile young ladies chained up in another house our desperate hero encounters. Who are they? How did they get there, All is not revealed and the film ends on a dismal note. It really could have been a whole lot better. A derivative plot certainly, but Ivan pulled things together with his performance until things just spiralled out of control.

Final point. Would it be possible for someone to flounder through high snowdrifts with a broken leg (bone sticking out) and a back with the flesh carved off it, neck to waist, revealing the backbone? It happens here.

Umbrage: The First Vampire [DVD]
Umbrage: The First Vampire [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doug Bradley
Price: 15.47

1.0 out of 5 stars I took umbrage at wasting 45 minutes on this., 15 Oct 2012
Thank the Lord I didn't buy it! I saw it on the Horror channel, well, 45 minutes of it, and then switched it off in disgust. Another reviewer says the last 15 minutes weren't so bad. I didn't see them, but they would have to be BLOODY good to make up for the rest of the dross.

Prom Night [1980] [DVD]
Prom Night [1980] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leslie Nielsen
Offered by Total Disc
Price: 29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Over the hill teenagers, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: Prom Night [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
Just a short review for this one. I don't think it rates anything lengthier. I agree with the 1 star reviewers. I found it tedious and,what's worse, boring. I saw it on the box and yearned for a remote control so that I could fast forward during those excruciating petting cum snogging scenes. I give it an extra star because of Jamie Lee Curtis who is always worth a watch. Is it just me, or do others never feel the high school characters are just a bit long in the tooth to be playing teenagers? As a matter of interest, Curtis [born 1958] was 22 when this was made, and a couple of others in the cast look as though they could give her a few years! "Halloween" was SOOO much better.

Rhineland 1945 DVD
Rhineland 1945 DVD
Dvd ~ Derek Simmons
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 4.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Something of a rip-off, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Rhineland 1945 DVD (DVD)
Well, I've just read the 3 reviews written here, and I don't agree with any of them - not in total. One thinks it's a decent effort all round, and the 1 star guy thinks it's the biggest load of junk ever. I'm going to sit in the middle and give it 2 stars, because I have seen MANY war films that are worse than this. I have also seen many (some low budget) that are infinitely better. It has been likened to Band of Brothers with similar plot scenarios, but personally I think the director was a huge fan of When Trumpets Fade, (now THERE was a war film) Buck private survives against all the odds and is awarded a sergeantcy against his wishes. An officer cracks under the strain, significant scene with dog-tags, new sgt takes over five brand new replacements. All this was to be seen in WTF, and done far better. My other null points stance has to do with the infuriating hand held camera work in the action scenes. I know, I know, it's done to simulate the chaos and madness of battle,but GOD, it does my head in!! I want to see what's happening, the small unit tactics,(if any) how the guys are deployed etc. NOT wobble wobble, flash bang, run, jump, get down, get up and nobody knows what the HELL is happening. On a more positive note,although the 1 star guy denigrates the explosions and grenade action, with some justification - the grenade bursts were, in fact,a lot more realistic than in many films, where they explode like miniature atom bombs with great gouts of flame.Not so! fragmentation grenades explode with a brief flash and puff of smoke. Believe me, I know of what I speak. Perhaps I should mention the uniforms. They looked pretty authentic for the period, but they all seemed so NEW, as though just issued by the QM that day,not worn for weeks by guys living in fields and foxholes.

To sum up, if you're a war film fan, you could do worse than watch this on a wet Sunday afternoon. I didn;t buy it (thank God) I saw it on the box. I wont watch it again, whereas I've seen WTF at least 5 times.

The Thin Red Line
The Thin Red Line
by James Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars La Creme de la Creme of War Novels, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Thin Red Line (Paperback)
Another reviewer says this novel by James Jones is primarily about men in war rather than war itself. In part, he is right. It is a magnificent study of the effect war has on men encountering it for the first time.BUT, it is also a study of small unit action (Company level) that comes across as totally realistic. Jones was there, and knows of what he writes. His characterisation of his soldiers is totally believable, his dialogue convincing, and by the end of the book you feel as if you had experienced Guadalcanal yourself. Two films have been made based on this novel, both with the same title, and as war films they are quite good. As adapatations of the novel, however, they are a big letdown. For the real experience of TTRL, read the book. It is, quite simply, majestic.

Ted Heath-The Best Of
Ted Heath-The Best Of
Offered by rmdcoleford
Price: 6.70

3.0 out of 5 stars For nostalgia fans only., 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Ted Heath-The Best Of (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this album, it's just that the content concentrates more on the Big Band Pop output of TH in the 50's, rather than the shouting big band numbers he was capable of. Some big band afficianados may well revel in hearing the likes of Dennis Lotis,Dickie Valentine and Lita Rosa doing their stuff. Nothing wrong with them of course, it's just that I prefer Mr Heath's instrumental output, for instance, a great version of "Heading North" represented here. The old "Dragnet" theme also crops up, giving me fond memories of the deadpan cop (Jack Webb) in the TV series from the 50's. On second thoughts, don't take any notice of me - at the price I paid for it from Amazon, you simply cannot go wrong. You'd pay more in a charity shop. An exercise in nostalgia from the best Brit. big band of the 50's.

Three Classic Albums Plus (The Wailing Buddy Rich / The Swinging Buddy Rich / This One's For Basie)
Price: 8.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Swinging sounds from the essential Mr Rich, 9 Aug 2012
Yet another of the Classic Albums series from Avid Records. Like all the others I've purchased, it's simply great value for money. Buddy Rich, possibly the greatest jazz drummer ever.Presented here in a variety of groupings, including an excellent outing with Harry "Sweets" Edison. The album "This one's for Basie" gives us an excellent BR big band from the 50's. Just listen to "Blues for Basie" if you get the chance. Edison's in the trumpet section and plays some magnificent muted trumpet before handing over to Frank Rosolino who shouts away in typical Rosolino style. All the other tunes from this album were out of the Basie book, including "Jumping at the Woodside" This track, unfortunately, caused me to deduct one star because of an interminable drum solo from Rich. Don't get me wrong - the solo is awesome, and the technique mind boggling. It just goes on so long.I love good drummers, and that certainly includes Rich, but I prefer short snappy breaks and solos rather than long marathons. Just a small quibble. If you love good mainstream jazz and big bands, this double CD is an absolute snip at the price.

All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945
All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945
by Max Hastings
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece from Hastings., 5 July 2012
Anyone who has enjoyed Max Hasting's previous tomes on WW2 will not be disappointed by this. It is simply superb. The expression - "Couldn't put it down" normally applies to novels, but is perfectly appropriate here, certainly in my case. I thought I had a very sound knowlege of the war, having read hundreds of books on the subject, but Hastings comes up with new scenarios and episodes that I knew nothing about. His statistics are mind boggling and the many quotes from active participants who survived the war,(and many who didn't) are truly revealing and poignant. This is ESSENTIAL reading for anyone who has even a modicum of interest in WW2.

After reading this, I followed it by "Nemesis - The Battle for Japan 1944/45" also by Hastings and just as good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9