Profile for dasbunker. carmarthen > Reviews

Content by dasbunker. car...

dasbunker. carmarthen "dave smith" (carmarthen)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Movin' & Groovin'
Movin' & Groovin'
Offered by TIP TOP SELLER
Price: 9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mainstream, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Movin' & Groovin' (Audio CD)
This is a great album by Humph, recorded in 1983.If you love mainstream jazz and love Humph into the bargain, then this disc is definitely for you. This particular band with Humph had some superb players - Johnny Barnes and Roy Williams, both previously with Alex Welsh.The superb alto of Bruce Turner,and guest star Kathy Stobart on baritone and tenor sax.Mick Pyne plays excellent piano. The mix of tracks is thoughtfully done, including compositions by Ellington, Buck Clayton and Humph himself. There is an outstanding version of "Aunt Hagar's Blues" - the only track which does not feature Ms Stobart, but she more than makes up for it on all the others. All in all, this is very good value for money. I paid less than a fiver for it, but in retrospect I would have paid a lot more. If you're a Humph fan - BUY IT!

One Very Hot Day
One Very Hot Day
by David Halberstam

3.0 out of 5 stars Not in the class of "Matterhorn.", 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: One Very Hot Day (Hardcover)
I have to say I found this book rather disappointing. I bought a used copy and it turned out to be ex-library and not in very good condition. It all takes place on one day sometime in the early 60's when Viet Nam was just a little war and the Americans were present purely in an advisory role. Not a lot happens and I couldn't get involved with the main character. I found myself skipping paragraphs, and this is not a good sign. It is a relatively short book, but nevertheless I was happy to get to the end of it. If you want a terrific experience in print about Viet Nam, then I strongly recommend James Webb's "Fields of Fire" or the title mentioned above - "Matterhorn."

Lineage
Lineage
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Competent Jazz Piano, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lineage (Audio CD)
I discovered this pianist purely by accident. I downloaded a track from a music channel by Benny Green thinking it was the bop trombonist of that name, only to discover it was a pianist. Looking him up on Amazon I discovered a selection of Cds, some quite expensive. This one, however, was very reasonable, and I decided to add him to my collection. If you like a modern pianist with a blues tinged style, then you will like this. There's nothing really new here stylistically, but it's very competently done with a variety of tracks. He has played with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, and, although not quite in the same class as Bobby Timmons or Walter Bishop Jnr, he is very listenable. Actually, at the price I paid for this, it's a MUST buy. Try it.

Grave Encounters [DVD]
Grave Encounters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Rogerson
Price: 3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Blair Witch revisited, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
I endorse Mr Mushroom's comments in full. I watched this, (well, part of it) on TV last night, and as soon as the shaky hand held camera started to roll I thought "Oh no, not AGAIN!" If you are a fan of Blair Witch and Cloverfield and God knows how many others, then you'll be OK here. Personally, this technique drives me up the wall.Camera cuts in, cuts out, endless footage of wavering torchlight playing over corridor walls.Wandering here, wandering there, Effing and blinding substituting for meaningful dialogue, I could go on. In fact I will - The leader of the group shining his torch around and intoning "If there are any spirits here, make yourself known. Make a noise or something." God, I really wanted this guy to depart early in the nastiest way possible. Whether he did or not I can't say, because I switched the whole sorry thing off before I threw something heavy at the screen. That one moment of immense satisfaction would not be worth the cost of a new TV. I have come to a decision.I will NEVER buy any horror film again based on 4 + 5 star reviews. Fortunately, I didn't buy in this case, but I might have, and then I WOULD be forking out for a new TV!

Romance And Cigarettes [DVD]
Romance And Cigarettes [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Gandolfini
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Gandolfini's in it. Bet he wishes he wasn't., 6 May 2013
This review is from: Romance And Cigarettes [DVD] (DVD)
I am definitely in the same camp as the other 1 star reviewer. I saw it on the box - well, some of it. The cast list was so impressive I hoped for great things. I lasted about 20 minutes.When Gandolfini burst into song, that was the final straw. Sarandon comes over with all the grace of a fish wife - foul language, even fouler dress sense. Three uppity daughters who, had this been a horror film you would be rooting for the axe murderer to target VERY early on. I never got to see Walken or Buscemi so don't know what indignities they had to suffer. Unless you're an inveterate musical fan who'll watch anything with terrible songs in it, you definitely need to give this one a miss.

The Blues Machine
The Blues Machine
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Band a la King, 3 May 2013
This review is from: The Blues Machine (MP3 Download)
Big band tracks simply don't come any better than this. If you're a big band fan and love the blues (mid tempo in this case) then this track will take your breath away. I haven't heard the whole album that this comes from, just this track which I have had for a long time. Superb ensemble work,
and excellent solos make this a terrific listen. Think of Basie at his best and you have the template for this band.

The Les Brown All Stars
The Les Brown All Stars
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheer musicianship, 28 April 2013
Recommended for anyone who enjoyed the jazz of the 50s, with a penchant for the West Coast school of the idiom. These players were all sidemen in The Les Brown (of renown) big band. In particular, the trumpet player Don Fagerquist is well featured. Amongst his peers, Fagerquist was regarded as "The Guvnor" - his tone and technique superb. Nothing overly dramatic happens,
Just an excellent rendering of a nice selection of jazz standards by a group of guys who knew exactly what they were doing.

The Bomber War: Arthur Harris and the Allied Bomber Offensive 1939-1945
The Bomber War: Arthur Harris and the Allied Bomber Offensive 1939-1945
by Robin Neillands

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent overview of the bomber war, 13 Mar 2013
If you are a student of the bomber offensive in WW2 and find shameful the bad press that "Bomber" Harris and his bomber command have attracted since, then this book is for you. It meticulously charts the history and background to the bomber offensive carried out by Bomber Command and the USAAF Eighth Airforce and shoots down the myths that have accumulated in the last 60 years, particularly Harris's "responsibility." This is particularly well done in the case of the infamous Dresden raid. Harris did NOT attack Dresden simply through blood lust and a craving for more senseless destruction. He was ordered to do so from the highest level and carried out his orders. Dresden was NOT a virgin target - it had been attacked at least 3 times before by the USAAF. In 1945 it was a vital communications centre (rail and road) and most german troops and equipment travelling to the Eastern Front passed through it. The Russians asked for RAF help in neutralising it and Churchill and the Chiefs of Staff were happy to accomodate them. It is shameful that Harris received all the approbation post war for this attack.

Read this book and find out the true background to the area offensive, and never forget that almost 60,000 airmen of the RAF died whilst carrying it out. Highly recommended.

FABULOUS GOTHIC ROSE FROM BEYOND SKULL FIGURE ORNAMENT +++ NEW
FABULOUS GOTHIC ROSE FROM BEYOND SKULL FIGURE ORNAMENT +++ NEW
Offered by Osiris Trading
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A decorative piece, 11 Mar 2013
If you're into collecting gothic items - skulls, dragons etc. then this item should fit quite nicely into your collection. It's very decorative, with flowers placed quite tastefully around the skull and could quite easily become a talking point if placed in the right spot. It's less than life sized, which is the reason for 3 stars, but, even so, looks very good when in-situ.

Special Edition
Special Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars The engaging Mr Cale, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Special Edition (Audio CD)
An excellent cross section of songs from the master of "Cool" This guy is so laid back he is virtually horizontal. If you've heard Mr Cale before you know what to expect, and if you haven't then this is as good an introduction as any. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9