Profile for Tim > Reviews

Content by Tim

Tim (Oldbury, West Mids, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Prophet: The Unreleased First Polydor Album
The Prophet: The Unreleased First Polydor Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Roy's best, 3 Aug 2013
I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this. Oh yeah, I thought, Roy Buchanan, blues guitar stylist, recorded some good tracks, influenced Jeff Beck etc. etc. etc. Hmmm. There's far more to him than that it turns out. Tragically this, the first album he made, was rejected by Polydor... idiots! Great songs, great voice, great band, great guitar. Think Peter Green, Led Zep, The Magic Band, Tim Buckley, Stax soul-rock, all that great late sixties/early seventies stuff. One of the top 5 great lost rock albums IMHO. Just buy it, right.

Esrher Ofarim
Esrher Ofarim

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide ranging repetoire, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Esrher Ofarim (MP3 Download)
My dad had an Esther & Abi album. It had their ubiquitous novelty hit, 'Cinderella Rockefeller' on it, which I detested, but some of the other tracks snuck up on me a bit; I remember a particularly good account of 'Motherless Child'. The songs on this collection range from tin pan alley to show songs, to Yiddish songs and beyond, all delivered with that affecting voice. The first few times I played it through I was particularly taken with a song called 'Aspiration'; about the third time I caught her quietly spoken introduction: did she really say Gentle Giant? Indeed she did. This is the only cover of a Gentle Giant song I've ever come across, and it's beautiful. Amazing stuff I think.

Live Performance
Live Performance

5.0 out of 5 stars Best recording of Jake, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Live Performance (Audio CD)
A proper performance with no added orchestral arrangements, which IMHO is the only way to listen to Jake. I wish 'The Bull' was on there, but I think he wrote it a bit later on. I'm old enough to remember Jake being on TV, and I suspect that, for the most part, people like me, who have fond memories of him from that time, are now his only audience. Tragic really because he was a genius. I've shared this album with some young people of my acquaintance & they concur.

Original Album Series: Little Feat / Sailin' Shoes / Dixie Chicken / Feats Don't Fail Me Now / The Last Record Album
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The five feat classics, 1 Dec 2012
These are the five classic Little Feat albums, the one's on which the genius that was Lowell George had the most input. I wouldn't worry about the fact they haven't been re-mastered, they still sound mighty fine to me. Amazing value for money in my opinion. Go on, treat yourself to the best music produced by this seriously under-rated and under-sold band.

Glad Rag Doll
Glad Rag Doll
Price: 8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Diana Americana, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Glad Rag Doll (MP3 Download)
I bought this on the strength of the producer and band. If T. Bone Burnett can do it for Plant and Krauss, can he do it for Diana too? Well, yes. Only quibbles: the lengthy 'Lonely Avenue' doesn't quite make it, and I could do without Husband Elvis's circus barker turn on 'When The Curtain Comes Down'. If you like Plant & Krauss, Buddy Miller's, 'Majestic Silver Strings', Tom Waits etc., this should be right up your street. It's a big departure though and if you're a diehard crooning-Krall fan this may not be for you. My old dad likes it though.

Live In Berlin
Live In Berlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb..., 13 May 2012
This review is from: Live In Berlin (MP3 Download)
Jimi is a genius - no doubt. This one shows his later afrobeat influences, but it's still Jimi: funky, funny, jazzy. This was the first Jimi album I heard and shortly afterwards I bought six more Jimi cds. His stuff's cheap; not too many people have come across him I suppose. His best albums for me are: Inspiration Information (2009),
Higher Planes (2003), Out Of Nowhere (2000), Intervision (1997).

Beyond The Stars
Beyond The Stars
Offered by thebookcommunity
Price: 16.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fnnish original, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Beyond The Stars (Audio CD)
70's US cop show incidental music, a bit of dirty funk, jazz, a slightly cracked voice, some of the lyrics have to be tongue in cheek (I think) - I reckon that covers it... oh and it's all brilliant. If you don't mind a bit of pastiche and tongue in cheek with your musical diet you'll love it. It's great frankly and outshines most of the originals that inform it. When I discovered Jimi on Spotify, I immediately bought 7 of his albums from Amazon; they were cheap as chips because, as is so often the case, I suppose, a lot of musical treasure lies buried under the horrible mainstream market place noise... but don't get me started. Jimi's best albums for me are: Inspiration Information (2009), Live in Berlin (2007), Deutsche Grammophon ReComposed (2006), Beyond The Stars (2004), Higher Planes (2003), Out Of Nowhere (2000), Intervision (1997)

Loru
Loru

5.0 out of 5 stars Original sound and approach, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Loru (MP3 Download)
Electric jazz guitarists can sound a bit samey right? Not Kalle Kalima. Improvisational, a bit free but not too 'out there', a great unprocessed sound - a breath of fresh air really.

Chasing Yellow
Chasing Yellow
Price: 15.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly original, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Chasing Yellow (Audio CD)
Electric jazz guitarists can sound a bit samey right? Not Kalle Kalima. Improvisational, a bit 'free' but not too 'out there', a great unprocessed sound - a breath of fresh air really.

Infinite Search (US Release)
Infinite Search (US Release)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another early fusion beauty, 13 May 2012
The line-up probably says it all: John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, and Jack DeJohnette. Add in producer Herbie Mann and, well, nuff said. There's a big emphasis on the string bass end of things, but unless that's a problem for you, if I were you I'd get it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4