Profile for CA Meredith > Reviews

Content by CA Meredith

CA Meredith "Caroline" (Cambridgeshire, UK)

EasyAcc® 2600mAh All-in-One Power Bank with Built-in Input and Output Connectors Lipstick Sized Portable External Battery Charger for Huawei Samsung Galaxy HTC Nokia Android Smartphone Phone - White
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Tight fit, 4 Sep 2014
Bought this to use with samsung galaxy mini, it does work but getting the connector on the power bank into the socket on the phone is quite a fiddle and I have to push down quite hard with my thumb in order for it to fully connect and start charging the phone.I tried it with my Samsung camera too, but it doesn't connect at all with that even though the two devices run off the same USB or mains chargers. Once connected, it does do exactly what it says it will do and provides the phone with one full charge. It wsn't that expensive, and it got me through my holiday but I probably wont be using it regularly, it's too much of a fiddle.

Gingerbread Man
Gingerbread Man

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Gingerbread Man (Kindle Edition)
I'm so sorry that I found this book disappointing as after reading other reviews I really wanted to enjoy it. I realise it's a work of fiction, but unfortunately there were just too many unconvincing moments.
You're a nervous woman who has never got over a traumatic childhood event involving a strange man...this has left you with OCD and a tranquilliser habit... yet you contrive to be alone with a man you hardly know in the middle of a lake... after you get a bit wet you agree to whip off all your clothes and roll around naked in the leaves with him. Later for some reason you wake up in a strange bed, wearing clothes you don't recognise and more alarmingly, next to this now silk-pj'd man ... what do you do... scream and yell, ask where you are and what he's done to you? No. You start telling him about the dream you just had. There are many more unbelievables... it's a shame really as the basic plot has great potential. The opening chapters were quite engaging and I particularly liked Holly's vivid re-awakened memory of the perp's eyes. I looked forward to the moment when her eyes would once again meet the (identity already guessed) mystery man, and she would finally recognise him for who he is... but nope, that "revelation" was hurriedly blurted out elsewhere. What a shame. Billed as a romantic thriller, this was neither, I'm sorry to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars RJ Ellory-lite; A tale of truth and dare., 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Fort (Kindle Edition)
First thing is, I'm really glad I didn't read either the blurb above or the reviews on Amazon because so many of them are plot-spoilers, and I wont do that to you.
At twelve, in what is perhaps the last really carefree summer before life gets more serious, our sense of truth and justice are pure. As we enter mid-teens, our loyalties are becoming confused and by the time we're parents, we're left clinging to what we now hold as the adult monopoly on honesty.
As a lover of crime thrillers I was really pleased with this. It's short enough to read in a weekend and yet has enough depth to hold the reader's attention. Similar to Ellory's style in many ways, it doesn't have a happy ending but does carry a clear message about the separateness of people's lives, within a community, within a family and sometimes within an individual. Things are not always what they seem at first glance, but gut instinct is often the only reliable truth there is, in the end.
Enjoy.

Small Wars
Small Wars
by Sadie Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Caroline, 5 Jun 2010
This review is from: Small Wars (Paperback)
In opting to address the Cyprus Problem and some of the events that led up to the Nicosia shootings from this perspective, the author has made a brave and refreshing choice. Deeply insightful into the experiences, bonding rituals and personal isolation of service families stationed abroad, ths book goes straight to the core with its honesty. Introducing Hal, the career soldier and the conscript Davis, the author peels away the sharply contrasting outer layers of these two apparently very different men, to reveal the same inner struggle between duty, (whether self imposed, or imposed by others) and the desire to operate free will. Their contrasting personal reflections on boyhood games and the quiet of university life are equally heart-tugging as each soldier struggles to remember who he really is. Clara, bringing her baby daughters to a hostile world not of her own choosing, with her efforts to make the best of things and not compain, is highly evocotive of the lot of the service wife. The end of the book is a work of art. Appearing to meander toward its close it suddenly builds to a final climax which ought to jerk the reader back to the edge of their seat. This story is so well written and so readable that only when you have finished reading will you fully realise how good this book is.

World Without End
World Without End
by Ken Follett

3.0 out of 5 stars World Without End, 28 May 2010
This review is from: World Without End (Paperback)
I absolutely loved Pillar of the Earth and went onto the sequel, World Without End within days. The author uses similar storylines as those found in the first book but somehow it just isn't as good. The "mysery letter" that is made so much of in the burb, hardly features at all. The male lead, Merthyn is almost as likeable and believebale as Jack Jackson in "Pillars," but Caris is a challenge to the imagination and I found her to be a rather smug, holier-than-thou hypocryte; the very type of personality she complains about when she sees it in others.
Most of the other characters are believable and it would be good to know more about them and less about Caris. I'd read another book about Kingsbridge, if one came out, but I feel the magic that is in Pillars may be difficult to recreate.

Empress Orchid
Empress Orchid
by Anchee Min

2.0 out of 5 stars Empress fails to seduce, 11 Aug 2006
This review is from: Empress Orchid (Paperback)
If you are looking for a light summer read I wouldn't recommend this. What a fantastic background to base a novel against, ancient China with all its mysteries, rituals and superstitions.... unfortunately the opportunity is lost as the writing fails to hit the spot time and again. Whilst there is the basis of a good story here, it takes so long to get going that I felt like giving up, and it was only my own determination to finish the book that carried me through to the last page, rather than the allure of the narrative. There was no real suspense, the conversations between the characters were long winded and unconvincing, and whilst the author's attention to detail may be commendable, her narrative descriptions are over-long and boring. The bedroom scenes are almost mechanical. It's hard to sympathise with Orchid, in spite of the indignities she goes through. Most unsatisfying is the abrupt and inconclusive ending. We are left not knowing what happened to the few characters we have actually come to care about. It's as if the author got bored herself and decided to go home early. Only worth reading if you're interested in ancient China, and then only if you can't find anything else.