Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Nikki B > Reviews

Content by Nikki B

Nikki B "songbird72884"

Page: 1 | 2
Terrapin - Apple iPhone 6/6S (4.7 Inch) Premium PU Leather Flip Wallet Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster with Card Slots, Cash Compartment and Detachable Wrist Strap - Black with Floral Interior
Offered by ClickJunkie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good case, poor plastic, 24 Mar. 2016
Not a bad case, more or less what I was looking for, but there are a couple of flaws. Firstly, the 'spine' of the case is so stiff, it's difficult to fold back if you want to do so, making it very chunky to hold. Also, although I bought the case only a week or so ago, the plastic on one corner that holds the phone in place is already breaking away. The case itself is pretty, and the 'leather' on the outside is lovely and soft to the touch, but the fabric inside is very rough, not idea if you have sensitive fingers, and the design flaws/ quality do detract severely.

Olympus Season 1 [DVD]
Olympus Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom York

5.0 out of 5 stars A clifftop shaped like a hand, 29 July 2015
This review is from: Olympus Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This series is, frankly, one of my favourites. Nick Willing's work as creator and director is on par with his usual excellence, but does take some thought to understand. Some have criticised the 'poor' CGI, but this is a tv series being made for a tv channel. Expecting blockbuster-level effects would be a little much, I think. As it is, the CGI, to me, seems to have been almost purposely left a little fuzzy to emphasize another aspect that some don't seem to have caught on to: this isn't meant to be an accurate representation of the events of the time. I mean, Gaea as tall as a mountain? 20' tall statues in a forest? A clifftop shaped like a hand? This is clearly mean to be a dystopian version of the 'idealised' concept of Ancient Greek myth. Characters from various times and myths have been brought together in a way that fits. After all, noone really expects Xena to meet one of the founders of Christianity, but the show made it happen. The same happens here. The story is made to be exactly that: a story, not a documentary, and as that, I believe it succeeds wonderfully. With a cast of both seasoned and new actors, one would expect it to be disjointed, but all of the actors put forward a compelling performance. My only criticism would be that perhaps some of the characters could have been more developed (ie Oracle, Medea, Kimon), but given the amount of story that needed to be packed into the season, I think it was done remarkably well, and hope that somehow a second season can be made so as to build on the histories and characters that have been introduced in season 1. All in all, if you're expecting the epic sets of Game of Thrones or the slow progression of Atlantis, this may not be for you, as this is a smaller-budget show in its first season. If you're looking for a series that makes you go back and re-watch episodes because they leave you thinking, and like a show that isn't afraid to twist what we think we 'know' and turn it on its head for the sake of imagination, this one should definitely be given a chance.

Folding Lightweight Rollator walking frame with locking brakes, seat, tray and cane holder
Offered by Fenetic Wellbeing

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected!, 1 May 2014
I had my doubts about this, as I'd seen some similar products in the shops and wasn't entirely convinced, but after my dad had both knees replaced, he desperately needed something more stable and usable than sticks and crutches. This rollator was ideal, as it has a nice wide wheel base but, surprisingly, not so wide that it can't fit through doorways.

I was very surprised to see that the whole product itself was easily wide enough to provide ample stability and comfort while walking, but didn't require any negotiating to fit through a doorway or around the living room furniture. 'Assembly' is very basic, and even though I did manage to make a mistake at first, I'm happy to admit that it was my own stupidity that caused it (not bothering to check the orientation of a handle before fixing it, basic rookie mistake!). The handles are wonderfully customisable in terms of height and angle, meaning that whether you prefer to have your hands higher or lower or turned slightly or straight, it's almost guaranteed that you'll be able to find a comfortable position. The brakes are also very good - not too stiff for my dad to use, which is welcome for someone with bad arthritis. Another welcome little touch is the closing method: simply tilt the seat upwards, grab the little strap underneath and pull, and it folds almost flat. To open it up again, we've found that simply gripping the brakes and pressing down on the braked wheels (those closest to the user) opens it up with no difficulty at all.

It's very lightweight, but sturdy, making it great to take in the car, and it'll stand in the back seat if you give it a little extra leg room.

Definitely worth the money, and highly recommended

Inecto Pure Coconut Dry Shampoo 150ml
Inecto Pure Coconut Dry Shampoo 150ml

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as a dry shampoo gets, 1 May 2014
I'll start by being honest - I don't like dry shampoos. I find that they rarely work at all for me, usually have an odd smell and leave a lot of residue behind, making me feel like I've dipped my head in a bucket of chalk.

That being said, this shampoo is by far the best of the bunch. Yes, they don't work for me, but this one comes the closest to it, and has none of the bad aspects that other brands do. It smells lovely, without the odd chemical after-smell of many others, doesn't leave a lot of residue, and actually leaves my hair feeling somewhat silky rather than dry and dead.

I won't go so far as to say dry shampoo is a great invention, but if you do like them, this one is a definite must-try. I'll be continuing to buy it, if only as a hair refresher for days when I want my hair smelling a little more tropical than most shampoos allow (it has a nice clean scent that's a mix of coconut and baby powder - doesn't sound great on paper but smells lovely)

Comfy Cone, Small 14 cm
Comfy Cone, Small 14 cm
Offered by Bargain Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Collar, well worth the money!, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Comfy Cone, Small 14 cm (Misc.)
Our dog had developed a nasty allergy to something all around his head and had been scratching so much he was starting to go bald (not to mention the effect on his skin!). We resorted to using a standard plastic 'cone' to stop him scratching as nothing else seemed to work, but he quickly developed an aversion to it - not because of the cone itself, but because he's so little ( a shih tzu) that he bumps into everything and can't see over the edge of it, not to mention the fact that it weighs so much that whichever way his head moves, the cone overbalances it to his max range of movement.

On advice from his vet, we looked up the comfy cone and were rather worried by the colour, since he's a rescue dog and generally terrified of anything big and black (made for some interesting mornings when he saw dad in his black dressing gown when we first got him!). However, at our wits' end with the plastic one, we took the plunge. It was a little on the small side, but to give an example of the reaction...we've just ordered the next size up!

All our worries were for naught, as he absolutely loves the thing. The small is more suited to a small terrier or chihuahua than a stocky shih tzu, so I would recommend anyone looking for one for the same breed to make sure to consider the size of their little gal or fella. If he/she is on the thin side, a small would fit well, however if he/she is on the bulkier end of the shih tzu spectrum, a medium would be better. The 'comfy' in the name is well deserved, as it's nice and soft, but has stiffeners in it to keep it rigid enough to restrict movement, and it has foam between the fabric layers to add stability without reducing comfort. There are lots of strips of velcro for adjustment, and it even has a spare strip to cover exposed velcro - a very considerate touch. The rim, while looking white in the picture, is actually a reflective strip of the kind you'd find on high-vis vests, and there are elastic loops around the base to slip a collar through. This makes it very convenient as it means that, if they have trouble drinking, you can simply unfasten and refasten it without removing it altogether.

Our little guy's been prancing around like the king of the hill in his new collar, all full of pride as he looks so smart in it, and the colour actually seems to be calming him rather than bothering.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this over a plastic cone, and am keeping the smaller one for nighttime use (since it's just large enough so it'll work well as a cushion) but buying a new larger one for daytime. Looking forward to it arriving!

Wisdom Fresh Effect Floss
Wisdom Fresh Effect Floss
Offered by Dental Direct UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Tastes good, concept is good...execution, not so much, 16 Oct. 2013
This could be a great dental floss, but they seem to have missed the mark in terms of design. They say it's minty, and it is indeed, in a nice sweet kind of way rather than that horrid chemical mint you so often find. However, that's where the accuracy stops. It says it expands, and it does. However, the expansion results in a thick string of very loose fibre lint-type substance. The fibres are too flimsy to actually remove anything from between the teeth and simply result in almost buffing the teeth rather than effectively removing anything. The worst part comes if you have any close-fitting teeth, the kind that really necessitate floss in the first place. You can't fit the toothbrush bristles in there easily, so the floss is the backup. But it better not be this one. As soon as it gets between the teeth, the fibres expand, just as you'd expect, but then they start catching in all the tightest spots, fraying and unravelling and leaving you with a string of floss just stuck there. When you finally do get it out, you're left with strands of string stuck in your teeth that you have to fight to get right of. Thankfully, I had another brand of floss to use to get rid of the string from this one, but I have no idea what I would have done without it. Maybe if they work on the design a bit more, they'll be on to a great product, but at present, I recommend giving it a miss.

Zen Spa - Asian Zen Spa Music for Relaxation, Meditation, Massage, Yoga, Relaxation Meditation, Sound Therapy, Restful Sleep and Spa Relaxation

5.0 out of 5 stars How does this not have reviews?, 6 Mar. 2013
What can I say? If you like calming, soothing music, this album is perfect. It's ideal for meditating and helping get to sleep, because the music isn't repetitive or loud, just the kind of thing you'd expect to hear in a spa. Absolutely wonderful for a nice evening in

Petlife Otodex Veterinary Skin for Pet, 35 g
Petlife Otodex Veterinary Skin for Pet, 35 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute miracle product!, 6 Mar. 2013
I'm not one to throw those words around lightly, but in this case, they're pretty accurate. I have a shih tzu with severe allergies to....well, everything, just about. They get so severe that he licks his paws constantly because of the irritation. We've been to vets repeatedly and tried dozens (literally) of remedies, until I came across this at the pet store. I was wary, but after using up the first tube, I looked everywhere to find this one. He's a very paranoid dog and hates having his paws touched (being a rescue dog, we can only assume he was badly treated by his previous owners) but as soon as the Otodex tube is in sight, he'll let me work with his paws and put the cream on any irritated spots he has. The little fella absolutely loves this stuff and as soon as it's on, he stops licking and settles right down. Best of all, it actually smells nice! Not perfumed, but with a nice clean, soothing smell. If there was a way to give more stars, I would ^_^

Art Academy: Learn Painting and Drawing Techniques with Step-by-Step Training (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for novices, even those who get frustrated easily!, 20 Jun. 2011
I just got this game today and I have to say, it's by far the best I've had for my ds. I love the book collection, and Brain Training is fantastic, but if you want to see real results from practicing anything, this is the definiter winner. Looking at it, you might expect it to be for those with confidence in their drawing abilities, which I myself thought, but you'd be wrong. I'll be the first to admit that I have the drawing skills of a three-toed sloth, but after one afternoon on this game, I'm already drawing recognisable fruit, painting trees, learning shading, everything I've always been clueless at. The fantastic thing is that it doesn't just have you paint by numbers. It tells you what to do and how to do it, then leaves you to your own devices to do it as fast or slow as you can/want, then you simply move on to the next step when you're ready. There's no wrong or right ('You didn't fill in ALL of the gaps' is something heard far too often on computer games of this type, which had me wary), and you can save your pictures to a gallery to show people, or save your progress to carry on/ tweak later. Plus, you're not just using stamps and things that will never serve you, you learn techniques that are actually useful, and I can't wait to try with real art supplies!

If you or anyone you know likes art or wants to learn but hasn't the slightest clue how to so much as draw a square without difficulty, this is the perfect 'game' to choose. You won't regret it.

Fantastic Songs
Fantastic Songs
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading track listing, 24 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Fantastic Songs (Audio CD)
While this is a good album, I was disappointed to find that the track listing on the box, and on Amazon, was incorrect. One of the main songs I bought this album for was 'Stay' by Shakespear's Sister. In actual fact, the song is 'You're History'. Still by Shakespear's Sister, but quite disappointing since it isn't at all what I expected. If possible, the tracklisting should be corrected so that people know what they're getting.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2014 8:43 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2