Profile for SJ > Reviews

Death by Food Pyramid
by Denise Minger
Price: 14.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Death by Food Pyramid (Hardcover)
This book is well researched and well written. It gives a great background into the shady Big Business in the US, and built on information I'd gotten previously from the book Fast Food Nation and the film Food Inc. It also gives balanced pros and cons to the current, seemingly conflicting, big diets/lifestyles - paleo, vegan and mediterranean. It definitely gave me food for thought (groan!), and a good read. I didn't want it to end!

Sevenhills Organics Raw Chia Seeds 1kg, certified organic by the Soil Association
Offered by Sevenhills Organics
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 2 April 2014
At 20 a kilo for organic chia seeds, it is a great price - almost a 50% reduction on the price in my nearest health food shop. That said, I was gutted that the price dropped 3 just after I purchased them, c'est la vie! (I guess they're even greater value now!) Additionally, the bag is sturdy and reseals excellently - I won't need to use a Kilner jar to store them any longer. Will definitely buy again when I finish this bag.

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite cookbooks., 24 Mar 2014
I've had this book for 3 years now, and just felt I had to leave a review. I guess the words "vegan, low fat cookbook" don't inspire confidence, but you can not tell this is low fat. I've probably made over 50% of these recipes, some of them repeatedly, and they do not lack on taste - my other half (omnivore) and I (vegetarian) are not even vegan, but we find these recipes delicious and we can not believe the calorie counts.
This cookbook is probably one of the most used in my collection. Sure, it's not pretty, only a smattering of pictures in the centre, but it delivers on content and is not reliant on fake substitutes, just full of tasty vegetables. I quite often find myself pulling it out to make a lowfat vegan side to a more decadent meal.
My favourite recipes - salads: sushi and taco are now staples; sides: caulipots and onion rings (delicious!); veggies - mushroom tibs are top: beans - upside down lentil shepherd's pie (one of my favourite meals of all time) and hottie black-eyed peas and greens; tofu & tempeh: red thai tofu mmm; pasta: fusilli roasted veggie primavera, the marinara recipe has become a staple in my kitchen - I use it on pasta, pizza, in italian subs!; soups: I converted a split pea hater with the smoky split pea soup; curries, chili and stews: I love all the curries in this book, and the fresh corn bread recipe has become a staple for me and the sweet potato drop biscuits are good too. The only failure I've had from this book was with making seitan, but as a newbie to seitan I believe that is down to my (lack of) technique rather than the recipe!
In summary, a great little cookbook!

Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
by Angela Liddon
Price: 14.65

5.0 out of 5 stars A great whole foods based vegan cookbook., 24 Mar 2014
I recently found Angela's blog and I enjoy each and every single entry. I couldn't wait for the cookbook to arrive and it had me running out to order a glut of different seeds. First off, it is absolutely beautiful, and kudos to Angela for doing the photography - it is stunning.
Recipe-wise, all the things I've tried so far - vegan overnight oats, morning glory (tehe) smoothie and the super power chia bread, chickpea-salad sandwich filling - have all been delicious. The other recipes I have bookmarked to try are - oil-free baked falafel, her take on hummus, ALL the soups, ALL the entrees and of course those desserts! Fudgy mocha pudding or brownies anyone?!
I like the fact that no fake meat is used, and I think fake cheese is only used once (and easily skipped) in the tex mex casserole, because I find those ingredients difficult to find where I live, and I want my veg/vegan food to be whole foods based. Her ingenuity in using these whole foods ingredients to create treats such as creamy sauces (cashew nuts and avocados), pestos (nuts/seeds) and vegan rolos (dates) is excellent, as well as crafting delicious desserts as a lot of people find the idea of tasty vegan desserts impossible (it's always great to prove them wrong!).
As another review pointed out, the sides section is a little brief (recipes still sound amazing), perhaps these could've been integrated with the entree section, with each side following a main it would pair well with. I do like the inclusion of the staples section, for example how to make your own almond milk, whipped cream from coconut milk etc, but as with the sides maybe these could have also been integrated elsewhere. One issue for me personally is that there is some variability in serving sizes so be sure to double check those, for example some recipes serve 3 which seems a little bizaare but I concede it is great for single person homes, just not so good for a greedy couple (I think these may only make 1 meal for us, heh). Since these last 2 points are down to my personal preference I won't deduct any stars, because I don't think it detracts from this top rating book.
Just a few points that may annoy some people out there, for one example the inclusion of a green tea recipe may seem like "filler" to some, but I'd never thought of including freshly squeezed juice in my green tea and I will be trying it out. Also, some of the cynics out there may not like the "hippy" names of things for example life affirming warm nacho dip, but from reading the blog I know that that is just Angela's personality shining through.

All in all, this is a great whole foods, vegan cookbook and I can see it becoming an every day staple in my kitchen along with my faithful tomes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and the veg cookbook by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall! Some ingredients may be hard to come by, but I found them all on Amazon (with free shipping!), and most recipes can be thrown together in next to no time (with any long nut/bean soaking steps clearly noted) so there's really no excuse!

Fred M-Cups, White
Fred M-Cups, White
Price: 9.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and adorable!, 25 Jan 2014
After discovering that a previous set of "cups" were horribly inaccurate, I was overjoyed to receive these - both cute and accurate and in 6 sizes rather than the 4 or 5 I've seen in other sets. The written measurements inside the cup may be hard to see, but once you learn the order of sizes they are very simple to use. Can't recommend enough!

Pretty Kitty Fashion Pretty Purple Flower Swing Prom Dress L 14
Pretty Kitty Fashion Pretty Purple Flower Swing Prom Dress L 14
Offered by Pretty Kitty Fashion

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful dress, 30 Nov 2010
The dress arrived in 2 days and is absolutely beautiful, it fits perfectly. I can't believe how good quality the dress is for the amount it cost. I can't wait to wear it!