Profile for Mr. G. Lonsdale > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Lonsdale

Mr. G. Lonsdale (Lampeter)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
De'Longhi Premium Pump Coffee Machine, 15 Bar - Metal - EC.680.M
De'Longhi Premium Pump Coffee Machine, 15 Bar - Metal - EC.680.M

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressed, 27 Jan. 2015
I bought this machine, having previously had to send back two De'Longhi Stainless Steel Premium Pump EC860.M machines with faulty steam wands. Given this experience, I was tempted to try another make, but I decided to try this smaller model and I’m delighted that I did.
It’s a cracking little machine - compact with a small footprint (which is handy if space is limited) yet sturdy and stable. A 1-star feedback comment suggests the machine is plasticky. The filter chamber and top are certainly made of stainless steel and, if the sides of the machine are made of plastic, this certainly doesn't spoil its appearance. I must admit that I had thought they were made of a lighter grade stainless steel than the filter chamber and top and could only tell otherwise by testing the surface with a magnet. Whatever the material, it is smart and, after a month of daily use, has proved to be perfectly serviceable – maintaining its shine and remaining scratch-free.
I have found the machine very easy to use and it produces excellent cappuccinos and lattes. Some critics have suggested the steam wand is too short for frothing milk. I would suggest that the problem is their choice of frothing jug. The steam wand is extremely effective and a very small quantity of milk froths up into a large volume. I have a small stainless steel jug (Frothing Jug 12oz / 330ml by Genware) which is just the right size for the machine. The larger frothing jugs of 500 or 600 ml are far too big for domestic use.
Another criticism I’ve read is that the machine is too automated and that this prevents the volume of coffee and water being regulated to the user’s taste. Well, all I can say is that the machine allows you to dispense hot water by single cups, double cups and, if a little more is needed, by variable amounts through the wand. The filter can also be charged with a single measure or double measure of coffee. This provides a range of permutations that should surely meet most people’s requirements.
As for the problems someone mentioned regarding the use of finely ground coffee, I’ve used Taylors Rich Italian & Taylors Decaff, pressing the coffee tightly into the filters, with excellent results and without any problems. The instructions warn not to overfill the filters and I wonder if this might be the cause of the complainant’s problems.
The machine will take ESE pods but I’ve never used them, preferring to use coffee grounds, so I can’t comment on how these work and the quality of the coffee produced.
The cup warming area on the top of the machine is not very effective, but this isn’t important as cups can easily be warmed with a 2 cup measure of hot water instead.
I’m really impressed with this machine. I'm pleased with my purchase, it meets my needs exactly and I’d recommend it highly.

Uncle Silas
Uncle Silas

4.0 out of 5 stars Rare, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Uncle Silas (Kindle Edition)
This is a rare recording of a classic b&w film. The quality is generally good and it includes what I think must be advanced camera techniques for the day. It's an atmospheric film which I thoroughly enjoyed despite a couple of damaged frames towards the end.

Timex Expedition Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Analogue Display and Brown Leather Strap T400914E

5.0 out of 5 stars No risk wrist watch, 2 Jan. 2015
Decent, smart, functional, unpretentious watch with hard-wearing strap. Good value. Well packaged and arrived promptly.

qs1446-b ROY's Beer & Ale Vintage Design Bar Decor Neon Light Sign
qs1446-b ROY's Beer & Ale Vintage Design Bar Decor Neon Light Sign
Offered by ADV PRO Advertising Since 1997

4.0 out of 5 stars sign of the times, 6 Oct. 2014
Very attractive at an affordable price. (Wish it had a longer lead though - why do electrical appliance manufacturers scrimp on the length of the leads they fit?)

24 Pack Mens 100% Cotton White Handkerchiefs Hem Stitched 16" x 16" (40cm x 40cms)
Offered by one-stop-eshop

4.0 out of 5 stars not to be sneezed at, 6 Oct. 2014
May not be the thickest of hankies, but perfectly adequate - and great value. A good buy.

Flair Rugs Matrix Themes Keep Calm And Carry On Rug, Blue/White, 100 x 160 Cm
Flair Rugs Matrix Themes Keep Calm And Carry On Rug, Blue/White, 100 x 160 Cm
Offered by Linens Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars no bugs with this rug, 5 July 2014
item as described - delivered promptly - no problems - good colour match

SuperFuel: Thorium, the Green Energy Source for the Future (MacSci)
SuperFuel: Thorium, the Green Energy Source for the Future (MacSci)
by Richard Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory reading for long-term opponents of nuclear power, 30 April 2014
I've been opposed to nuclear power for many years (since the 1970s). My opposition was due to:
• the risk of catastrophic incidents at production sites,
• the scope for nuclear fuels to be enriched by maverick states or terrorists wanting to create nuclear weapons, and
• the need to store ever increasing quantities of highly toxic nuclear waste for centuries to come.

Recently someone asked if I'd heard of thorium and, as I hadn't, I decided to check it and started by reading this well-written and very readable book by Richard Martin.

Thorium is a radioactive element which is apparently far more abundant than uranium, lends itself to sustainable nuclear power generation, is very difficult to enrich for destructive purposes, is intrinsically safe (in Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors), and can actually use stockpiled nuclear waste as a nuclear fuel, producing far smaller quantities of less toxic waste in the process. It is also a waste product in the mining of rare earth metals.

It's become clear to me that my long-standing reservations about nuclear power were out of date and misplaced. My ideological preconceptions regarding the threats and risks of old nuclear technology had closed my mind to considering the opportunities and benefits of new nuclear technology. I would urge all long-term opponents of nuclear power to revisit the subject by reading this book and, if time permits, Nuclear 2.0 by Mark Lynas and Thorium Energy Cheaper than Coal by Robert Hargraves.

I'm now convinced that new nuclear technology has a crucial role to play in dealing with climate change. In fact, I can't see how any strategy to address climate change will stand any chance of success without it. "Old nuclear" has rightly been talked down for a long time, but "new nuclear" is something very different and needs talking up. It isn't the current nuclear model updated, it's a different model altogether - different reactors with different fuels. A safer, cleaner, sustainable model capable of generating home-produced power at a fraction of the cost by burning fossil fuels - as I understand it, so cheaply that the huge capital costs can be recovered by the investors whilst still significantly reducing energy costs for the consumer. I also understand that, with thorium, the nuclear generating process can produce hydrogen - a far more practical fuel for motor vehicles than electricity. Cheaper power, energy security, reduced carbon emissions, sustainability, safer reactors, less toxic waste, no risk of enrichment - plus a fuel source for motor transport. It ticks all the boxes.

Simpli-Special Mulled Spice Christmas Celebration Loose Leaf Tea in Gift Caddy 100 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas everday, 26 Mar. 2014
I bought this as a seasonal beverage last Christmas but we enjoyed it so much that we now have a cuppa most days for elevensies. Without milk it's refreshing no matter what the weather.

Renoir Ceramic Unglazed Wall Washer
Renoir Ceramic Unglazed Wall Washer

4.0 out of 5 stars smart & effective but fiddly fixing, 21 Feb. 2014
I really like this lighting unit.
I'd have given 5 stars but for the difficulty experienced fixing it flush to the wall. The problem is that it's secured with a single bolt onto a metal bracket that's screwed onto the wall. There's very little space behind the unit for the wiring and tightening the bolt tends to make it swivel vertically rather than pulling it flush to the wall. Eventually managed to overcome the problem by tightening the bolt moderately and using a filling compound to fill the slight gap.
The result is a really smart & effective uplighter. It's securely mounted flush to the wall - but only after a lot of fiddling.

Famous Trials: Selection
Famous Trials: Selection
by John Mortimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and varied, 22 Sept. 2013
Bought this for Brides in the Bath & Crippen cases, but found the other trials just as interesting. Lord Haw-Haw & Crippen cases in particular raised interesting questions for me regarding how just the outcomes were.
Different authors for each case, but all are well-written - academic, but very readable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3