ARRAY(0xa9561810)

Profile for M. Bijlsma > Reviews

Content by M. Bijlsma

M. Bijlsma "Marc" (Hilversum, Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Love And Distrust [DVD]
Love And Distrust [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Pattinson
Offered by infinative prosperity dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of rubbish, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Love And Distrust [DVD] (DVD)
I knew not to expect too much from this, but it was worse than I expected. On the dvd are five dull, weird and uninteresting short films, pasted together by someone who was probably in a hurry. After the films are finished, you get twelve minutes with the opening and closing titles of the five movies. Why not have it presented as a collection of short films (instead of a fake full lenght feature), and show the opening and end credits where they are supposed to be?

A positive thing about this dvd: Robert Pattinson is great. With a look or a gesture he says more than other people do with words. Truly one of the greatest actors of the new generation. Unfortunately, he appears only for two or three minutes.

the minutes
the minutes

2.0 out of 5 stars No my cup of tea, 8 May 2013
This review is from: the minutes (MP3 Download)
I own every recording that was ever released by Alison Moyet. From the first one with The Vicars in 1979 to (of course) the new album. 'The minutes' is the first of Alison's albums I really don't like, except for 'When I was your girl', which is a great song. To me it's just a lot of repetitive noise with vocal accompaniment. This album could have been made by almost any singer. The production hardly uses Alison's amazing vocal capabilities. Of course I understand she can't always repeat the same thing she did before, but this album is for me too far away from all the other things she has done so far. I prefer to listen to 'Hoodoo' and 'Hometime' instead. Let's just hope we won't have to wait another six years for another chance for Alison to share her glorious voice with us on something more pleasant.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2013 11:52 AM BST

L'Intégrale De Ses Succès (1973 - 1977)
L'Intégrale De Ses Succès (1973 - 1977)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely CD, 30 April 2013
While browsing on You Tube last week, I came across several songs of Robert Miras, of whom I had never heard. After that I listened to previews of the songs on this CD, and decided to buy it. It arrived yesterday and is has been a long time that a CD made me feel so happy. Robert's got a nice, clear voice and the songs are great. The songs have beautiful arrangements. I can't understand why he didn't have a long and succesful carreer. Some favourites are at the moment 'Parle-moi maman', 'Légende en Irlande', 'La châteleine de Saint-Julien' and a wonderful version of Luz Casal's 'Piensa en mi'. Recommended to anyone who likes melodic French music.

8mm [DVD] [1999]
8mm [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 28 April 2013
This review is from: 8mm [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I bought this movie because Joaquin Phoenix is in it. But I'm not particular fond of Nicolas Cage, so the dvd remained unwatched for several months. Yesterday we finally watched the movie, and I was surprised about how good it is. It starts as a detective, and slowly but surely it turns into a thriller. Great performances by Nicolas Cage and of course Joaquin Phoenix, whose part is unfortunately rather short.

Little Man Tate [DVD] [1992]
Little Man Tate [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Jodie Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely movie, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Little Man Tate [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
"Little man Tate" is a lovely movie. The story is heartwarming, moving, sad, funny... simply lovely! There's a cliche here and there, but the great performances by Jodie Foster, Dianne Wiest and Adam Hann-Byrd make up for everything. This is certainly a movie I could watch every few years.

Keep Your Powder Dry [DVD] [1945] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Keep Your Powder Dry [DVD] [1945] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Lana Turner
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely film, 11 Mar 2013
"Keep your powder dry" was an unknown Lana Turner film to me. I loved every minute of it, and can not understand why it is relatively unknown. There is a good mix of humour and drama, and the acting is excellent. Recommended to anyone who likes classic Hollywood.

A Concert For Kirsty MacColl
A Concert For Kirsty MacColl

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 27 Feb 2013
I bought this album because of Alison Moyet's participation, but all the songs and performances are great. It's nice to hear Eddi Reader's voice again. The last time I heard it was in the early 90's.

The title of the cd is in a way misleading: yes, the songs were recorded at the concert for Kirsty MacColl, but it's not like you're listening to a real concert. Each song begins and ends with a fade, instead of them al being edited together to one piece, with applause etc. in between them, to give you the feeling you are listening to the actual complete concert. I must say I prefer the way it has been done here, also because each song is by a different artist, but I can image people who like to get the feel of a concert will be less happy.

Les Misérables Double Pack [DVD] [1935]
Les Misérables Double Pack [DVD] [1935]
Dvd ~ Fredric March
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of films, 7 Jan 2013
Only the 1935-version of this film is already worth buying this set of two dvd's. Frederic March is great, as usual, and the story is heartwarming.

The 1952-version is something different. Also a good version, but some storylines and settings are quite different. And Michael Rennie is no Frederic March.

I do not know which version is the most faithful adaption of the book, but it doesn't matter much if you haven't read it and are just looking for an evening's entertainment.

Usually I do not care to watch many different versions of the same story, but after having watched these two movies, I'm looking forward to see the 2012-version with the wonderful Hugh Jackman, although that version is a bit long (over two and a half hours). But I think Jackman's performance could come close to or even match March's.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 1:01 AM GMT

One Blue Voice  [DVD]
One Blue Voice [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alison Moyet
Offered by disks4u

3.0 out of 5 stars Alison: 5 stars, editing: 1 star..., 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: One Blue Voice [DVD] (DVD)
This could have been a great dvd. But who ever did the editing needs to be spanked, after which he has to learn a few more thing about how to edit a live concert. It's just like you are watching a collection of live clips, instead of a concert. After several songs the applause just fades out, the screen goes to black, and then the next song starts. And even that does not go smoothly, since of a few songs a split second of the first cord is missing. A real shame, because the song selection is great, as are the musicians. And Alison Moyet is wonderful, as always. Let's just hope there will be another live dvd in the future, edited by someone with an eye and ear for detail.

Ring of Bright Water [1969] [DVD]
Ring of Bright Water [1969] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Travers

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 23 Sep 2012
I bought this because I felt like watching a movie with Virginia McKenna, and I wasn't disappointed. Not only was she great as always, but the movie itself is also beautiful and charming. I heard they plan to do a remake of it, but I hope they won't. Why try to improve something that's already close to perfect? If not so many people would be frightened of movies which are over six months old, many more generations could still be enjoying this small masterpiece.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5