Profile for Mr. S. D. Saunders > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. D. Saunders

Mr. S. D. Saunders "modomnoc"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Graven Ideologies: Nietzsche, Derrida & Marion on Modern Idolatry (Christian Classics Bible Studies)
by Bruce Ellis Benson
Price: 13.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Is God there, 16 Jun 2007
What is an idol? Do I really know God? How do I communicate with God? Is my religion real? If you ask yourself these questions then your enjoy this book. Using Nietzche, Derrida and Marion Benson investigates idolatory. I'm a Catholic and Benson's a Protestant, however, it's not a Catholic bashing or any other bashing type of book. What I gained out of this book, is that, religious and cultural practices can make us loss sight of God and actually worship an idol, whereas, God is out there ready for a dialogue with us if we are able to slay the idol. This book won't appeal to fundamentalist's of any religion, but in truth they would probably benefit from it the most. A really enlightening book.

Reich: Remixed 2006
Reich: Remixed 2006
Price: 12.52

3.0 out of 5 stars steve goes dance, 8 Jun 2007
This review is from: Reich: Remixed 2006 (Audio CD)
This is steve reich translated into club music. This is a real mismatch of tracks that work and those that don't. I'm happy I bought the CD, as it's of interest how artist's have interpretated minimalist music into dance style tracks. If you don't like dance music don't buy this, but if you are able to allow Reich to be deconstructed, experimentalised and adapted into a youthful club mix then this may appeal.

Steve Reich: Phases - A Nonesuch Retrospective
Steve Reich: Phases - A Nonesuch Retrospective
Price: 14.45

5.0 out of 5 stars minimalism at it's best, 14 Dec 2006
I remember listening to Reich in the early 90's and thinking how innovative his music was. By chance I saw this box set for just under 20 and thought I would give it a go. What a treat - if you like h Philip Glass, Elliot Carter and John Cage then your going to like this - and believe me this is a bargain. The stand out tracks are 'electric counter point' and 'different trains.' At first listening the music seems so repetitive, however there are minor variations like a Rothko painting that makes the music so rich and vibrant and hence worth a listen.

John Adams - The Chairman Dances
John Adams - The Chairman Dances
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars essential john adams, 3 Sep 2006
This is my favourite John Adams c.d (actually it's in my top ten classical c.d's). The stand out tracks are the 'chairman dances' which is fast tempo and modern - evoking the 'Nixon in China' opera in one piece of music. The other stand out track is the mellow, 'Christian Zeal and Activity' which has a fundamentalist preacher repeating line from the Gospel about the man with the withered arm picking up his mat and being healed. It just has this peaceful feeling waving over one's body, like seeing Mark Rothko's installation at the Tate Modern. If you like John Adams your like this c.d.

Degenerate Moderns: Modernity as Rationalized Sexual Misbehaviour
Degenerate Moderns: Modernity as Rationalized Sexual Misbehaviour
by E. Michael Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars conservative catholic's manna from heaven, 8 Jun 2006
You might not agree with the view point (conservative catholic) but this is a riveting read. Many significant figures of history from Freud to Luther to Anthony Blunt to Kinsey get absolutely ripped to shreds in criticism. The main nugget of criticism for all was they undermined Catholic morality and led man into liberation from the sexual mores of traditional catholicism. This is definitely a 'can't put down book.'

Virginal Conception and Bodily Resurrection of Jesus
Virginal Conception and Bodily Resurrection of Jesus
by Raymond Edward Brown
Price: 11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical evidence for the virgin birth and resurrection, 29 May 2006
I expected this book to be a liberal trashing of the virgin birth and resurrection of Jesus. But rather it was an interesting and detailed analysis of the biblical evidence for both. The book shows that the writers of the NT were trying to convey that the birth of Jesus has as it's origin in God and that Jesus really existed after his death. If there is a controversial part of this book - it's that there is no solid historical evidence for either the virgin birth or the empty tomb, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not true. What I liked most about this book is that my literal understanding of the Bible isn't tenable, but like life the Bible is more complicated than we think and in some ways more interesting. A first rate book that I would recommend to all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2010 7:26 PM BST

Exiles from Eden: Psychotherapy from an Evolutionary Perspective
Exiles from Eden: Psychotherapy from an Evolutionary Perspective
by Kalman Glantz

5.0 out of 5 stars pyschotherapy from an evolutionary perspective, 10 Feb 2006
Every psychotherapist and counsellor should own this book - that's how good it is. Most people agree we have evolved, therefore, why aren't people's emotional problems a result of our evolutionary past?
This book covers issues like reciprocity and how it evolved and effect us negatively. There is the issue of gender differences and how roles alien to our gender can cause emotional distress. There is the issue of being reproductively successful and it's consquences for today.
The evolutionary approach helped me, an ex-anorexic to see my strategy from an evolutionary approach and overcome my disorder. This is how powerful this approach is and hence my recommendation.

Padre Pio the Stigmatist
Padre Pio the Stigmatist
by Charles Mortimer Carty

5.0 out of 5 stars unbelievable, 6 Jun 2005
If your a Catholic and are struggling with your faith or want to believe in God and think it's too good to be true then read this book. It was written while Padre Pio was still alive and the incidents related in this book are of a supernatural nature. Padre Pio was simply blessed by God to show He exists. If your ever doubting your faith just pick up this book and your quickly regain it. Brilliant.

Solaris [DVD]
Solaris [DVD]
Dvd ~ Natalya Bondarchuk
Offered by SmokeCDs
Price: 22.90

4.0 out of 5 stars master craftsman, 6 Jun 2005
This review is from: Solaris [DVD] (DVD)
Solaris isn't easy going but it's worth the effort. Tarkovsky's method is very slow, building up an atmosphere, taking beautiful shots - and there's this horse which keeps on galloping around - and I'm thinking what's that about? In space you have a station where the other crew have gone mad and 'alien' life force which is making them go mad is doing so by making their memory come 'alive'. A scientist is sent to investigage and his past comes 'alive'. Some how he is able to resolve the conflict by showing 'love' and 'understanding' instead of 'fear' and 'violence'. Well that's what I made of it - you may read something different into it. After I had watched the film - I began to appreciated it - whereas while watching it, I was working hard to figure it out. If you like thought provoking films and intelligent scripts I think your enjoy this film. If on the other hand you like 1 1/2 hour, fast moving hollywood films then avoid this.

Economics in One Lesson
Economics in One Lesson
by Henry Hazlitt
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars free market economics, 17 Nov 2004
If you want a simple book about right wing - free market economics this is the book. It's written in a simple manner that even I with no economic background can understand. Specifically the book adovacates less government, less tax and less bureacracy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2011 10:59 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5