Profile for Mr. S. D. Saunders > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. D. Saunders

Mr. S. D. Saunders "modomnoc"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
101 Questions & Answers on Paul
101 Questions & Answers on Paul
by Ronald D. Witherup

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you wanted to know about St Paul, 14 Nov. 2010
This book helped me gain essential knowledge about Paul himself and his theology etc. This is written by a Catholic scholar who uses Biblical critical methods to study the Bible. With the 101 question format one can look for the question one is interested in, for example, this debate between faith and works.

The New Jerome Bible Handbook
The New Jerome Bible Handbook
by Joseph A. Fitzmyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good companion to the Bible, 14 Nov. 2010
Provides introductions to each book of the Bible and interesting articles on such things as, canon of scripture and inerrancy. This is a cut down version of the Jerome Biblical Commentary. What I like about this Handbook is the print size is easy to read and it has enough information on each book or topic which can be read in 15 minutes max. This book is compiled by Roman Catholic Scholars who use Biblical Critical Methods of studying the Bible. Hence, if one is a traditionalist catholic and Vatican II doesn't resonate in one's mind then I strongly advise one doesn't purchase this book.

Until the Whole World Hears
Until the Whole World Hears
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Christian Album, 20 Oct. 2010
Confession number 1: I am a christian. Confession number 2: I've bought all the casting crowns albums because I am a Christian. Confession 3: I don't listen to secular music because of my uneasiness about the lyrics which I'm not going to go into now. All that said the Casting Crowns is the only Christian group I listen to and this like all there other albums is really excellent and uses lyrics directly based on the Bible.

Biblical Fundamentalism: What Every Catholic Should Know
Biblical Fundamentalism: What Every Catholic Should Know
by Ronald D. Witherup

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangers of Biblical Fundamentalism, 19 Oct. 2010
I'm not sure I would pay £10 for a very thin paperback, however, as a catholic this is a very good book to protect oneself from any form of Fundamentalism. As soon as anyone says the Bible is is inerrant in all aspects including science, I would say one's needs to be careful of all it's implications. Hence, the view this book takes is the Catholic faith is based on the Bible and it's Traditions are related and don't contradict the Bible. This book will appeal to Vatican II Catholics and vatican I Catholics will hate with as much passion as fundamentalists. If you like this approach to the Bible, then one can move on to Raymond E Brown's 101 Bible questions. To sum up the approach offered is the Bible is the Word of God in the words of men, and hence, the Bible is a complex book that needs to be interpreted with extreme care and within a believing community.

Retreat with John the Evangelist: That You May Have Life
Retreat with John the Evangelist: That You May Have Life
by Raymond Edward Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars For the audio version, 27 Sept. 2010
I think what I like and dislike about Raymond Brown is that anything he writes challenges me and makes me think. However, with Fr Brown one never gets a complete answer. This audio version would be for more centrist catholics or liberals who want to increase their knowledge of John's theology. What sticks out to me from the seven day retreat is to be careful not to demonize non-catholics and that the John 6 is not necessarily talking about the eucharist being the body and blood of the Lord! And now I know why Fr Brown infuriates the traditional catholics (and may I say I attend Latin Mass!) But again I'm able to take Fr Brown's analysis with a sense of perspective of what the church actually teaches. However, Fr Brown is part of the catholic church which is a broad church and he kept his vows as a priest which can't be said of all today (and they even write books saying how good they are and criticize the said Fr Brown!)

Oralmedic Mouth Ulcer Treatment - 2 x 0.2ml
Oralmedic Mouth Ulcer Treatment - 2 x 0.2ml
Offered by NHL Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, 27 Aug. 2010
This product does work. It significantly reduces the pain of an ulcer. I find I bite my tongue 2/3 times a year, and before oral medic I couldn't talk properly, however, with this I can. What I find is when I bite my tongue a blister comes up, and when the blister bursts naturally, I wait until the evening before I go to bed and apply the oral medic. One snaps one end and holds the bud on the ulcer area. I try to hold it for 2 minutes. It does sting like mad but I just grit my teeth. Then I wash my mouth out. I repeat this the second day with the other stick (one gets 2 applicators). This is simply the best product for mouth ulcers I've come across and it has saved my life in a way because I do a job where I have to talk.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2011 1:40 PM BST

Care Sodium Bicarb Ear Drops 10ml
Care Sodium Bicarb Ear Drops 10ml
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars safe and effective, 25 Aug. 2010
This is what an ear specialist told me to use once every six months to avoid syringing. What I do is warm up the bottle in cup of hot water and then put them into the ears for five nights. I haven't needed to have my ears syringed for 10 years so they must work. Also, with sodium bicarbonate if one has an ear infection it won't cause you more pain.

Mary in the New Testament
Mary in the New Testament
by Raymond E. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars modern scholarship at it's best, 24 Mar. 2008
The book is a product of catholic and protestant scholarship using historical-critical methods. Each Gospel and Acts of the apostles is examined by different scholars to find it's view of Mary. If one is looking for sensatialism like Mary wasn't a virgin then this isn't the book for you. There are no radical conclusions just options about possible conclusions about how the different authors of the Bible books viewed Mary. Actually it's not rocket science in the sense that St. John had warmer view of Mary than St. Mark, however, it's interesting from a theological view point to see why, and how catholics and protestants can actually co-operate to produce a dignified view of Mary. Finally this book has helped me better understand the process of how the Gospels and Acts of the apostle was written, and as some fear, I still firmly accept the Catholic Churches teaching on Mary, that is, the virgin birth, perpetual virginity and assumption. That is dogma rather than the study of the Bible using historical-critical methods which ultimately can't refute these doctrines.

Roman Catholicism
Roman Catholicism
by Loraine Boettner

3.0 out of 5 stars fundamentalist look at Roman Catholicism, 24 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Roman Catholicism (Paperback)
I'm a practicing Roman Catholic who is very interested in protestant fundamentalism and was recommended this book. I don't agree with the authors views, however, it's readable and I can understand where his coming from. This exert gives a flavour of his viewpoint, 'Modernists seek to reduce some of the historical accounts of the Bible, as for example those of the creation of man and of the fall, to mere myths or legends.... Bible contains the Word of God, but deny that it is in all it's part actually the Word of God.' So, for example, science tells us we have evolved, however, the account of Genesis doesn't support this view, therefore, what is one going to trust 'some liberal scientists with an agenda' or the word of God? The Bible is God's word and because Catholics have traditions, for example, devotion to Mary which shows they don't follow God's word and are therefore in the wrong. Catholic's on the other hand see the Bible as God's word, however, they believe the Church was instituted by Jesus and they are the guardian of the Bible and the oral traditions which were handed down to them by the apostles, for example, the Mass. All I would say is as a Catholic I've taken the time to read this book and enjoyed it. One could fruitfully read this book along side Keating's 'Catholicism and Fundamentalism.'

Libido Dominandi: Sexual Liberation and Political Control
Libido Dominandi: Sexual Liberation and Political Control
by E. Michael Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars sex as political control, 23 Oct. 2007
This book is from a Catholic viewpoint. The thesis is that liberating people from sexual restraint has become a form of political control. The case of Kinsey as one example is simply unbelievable - how one can document and have photographic evidence of sexual activity is simply beyond words and call it science. He simply goes through all the names - mainly psychologists and truthly no one comes out too good. The point I gained from the book was if one prays to God and believes in God one doesn't get into the problems the people Jones describes in the book - namely sexual promiscuity and marriage infidelity. You may get infuriated reading this book, but it's compulsive reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5