Profile for M. Harper > Reviews

Content by M. Harper

M. Harper "organic333" (Shropshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Clarks MTB/Hybrid V-Brake Pads Replacement Triple Compound Insert Pads, 72 mm
Clarks MTB/Hybrid V-Brake Pads Replacement Triple Compound Insert Pads, 72 mm

3.0 out of 5 stars Brakes Failed. Make Sure You Fit Them Carefully, 20 Dec. 2015
These brake pads are very efficient and last well, but I have one major qualm: the little pin that you need to push in to retain them in their mount is very hard to push in, and very easy to bend out of shape. If you don't push the pin in properly, the brake pad can slip out in use. It happened to me once. I had fitted the pin, as best as I could see how, but I had pushed it from the underside upwards and it had not, unbeknown to me, gone all the way in. Gravity was against it, and it fell out when I was braking, resulting in the pad on one side slipping out causing sudden and total failure of my back brakes. To be fair, the manufacturer does NOT include any instructions on how to fit the pin, either on the packaging or on their website, so presumably they are trying to discourage the amateur from doing so. Apart from that, no complaints.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2016 3:39 PM BST

Plain Plastic Scraper Flexible blade. 4.5 x 3"
Plain Plastic Scraper Flexible blade. 4.5 x 3"
Offered by RightPrice Catering Equipment
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinitely Variable Curve Makes This The Perfect Scraper, 20 Dec. 2015
I use this every time I bake. You may think that a bowl scraper is just something that you can buy any old how, but I can tell you, as a regular baker, to be careful because a lot of them are not quite right, whereas this one is perfect. The secret is the infinitely variable curve on one side, and the added feature of a straight edge on one of the other sides. This combination means you can scrape a worktop and also, importantly, scrape ANY bowl, irrespective of its size or shape. So many bowl scrapers have a curved edge that is regular, and can only therefore touch the side of a bowl in one place unless you happen to get a perfect match, which is unlikely. This is simple physics but so many bowl scraper makers get it wrong. This one is different. Simply rotate the scraper until the angle matches the bowl and scrape away! It's simply perfect.

Anker® Ultra Compact Slim Profile Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for iOS, Android, Windows and Mac with Rechargeable 6-Month Battery (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and Convenient for Taking Abroad, 20 Dec. 2015
I took this on a plane and used it to deal with emails and Twitter whilst on holiday. It did not need any recharging, connected perfectly to my (Android) tablet and was ergonomically very easy and convenient to use. It was also lightweight and no problem to carry with me. MUCH easier than using the touch screen of the tablet and I recommend paying the couple of extra pounds to get this rechargeable version which for me was very convenient as I did not need to recharge it during my ten days away, nor since as it is still going strong!

Flourishing
Flourishing

5.0 out of 5 stars A Manual for Living your Best Life, 18 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Flourishing (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most important books I have read during my 52 years. I do not write that lightly. It brings together so many strands into one amazing volume and in my opinion it really is nothing less than a manual for human life, whatever your background, creed or nationality. If you put into practice what you can learn from this book, your psychological wellbeing will be pretty much guaranteed and you will have all the tools you need to create your own true, deep happiness.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as new after three years., 25 July 2015
After 3 1/2 years of use, as good as new. Easy to unlock with the card, and handy to have two cards that fit both locks. No problems, good value, recommended.

Parkers Chrome Bicycle Bugle Hooter Horn
Parkers Chrome Bicycle Bugle Hooter Horn
Offered by bikes4life limited

5.0 out of 5 stars For £5 I consider that very good value, given the abuse it got, 25 July 2015
After 18 months of use in all weathers, daily, on my bike, this cheap but very loud horn finally broke in two. For £5 I consider that very good value, given the abuse it got. It really was loud - loud enough to get the attention of car drivers in their vehicles - which is very important if you are on a bike. It's clown-like honk also diffused the situation with a bit of humour, as most people just couldn't help smiling when I gave them the horn. Recommended!

AVANTEK Digital Kitchen Scale, 11 lb / 5 kg Capacity, 0.05 lb / 1 g Accuracy & Ultra Slim Design

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the best scales of all., 25 July 2015
After eight months, I am thrilled with these scales. I chose them very carefully, and they have been all I hoped for. I use them twice a week and have not needed to change the batteries, which are standard AAA and not "watch" batteries like some others. The glass surface is big enough to get a big bowl on, and a quick press on the reset button as you add your ingredients resets the weight to zero in an instant. You can also put a bottle of, say, oil on it, zero it, and then pour some out and re-weight, and get a negative weight to show how much you have poured. The glass surface wipes clean. They are as accurate as I need, offering metric and imperial, with a high maximum weight. A great product and well worth the money.

Easy Learning Spanish Conversation (Collins Easy Learning Spanish)
Easy Learning Spanish Conversation (Collins Easy Learning Spanish)
by Collins Dictionaries

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate Translations Will Mislead You, 8 May 2014
This book has a lot of very useful phrases, but the translations into English are sometimes inaccurate. This means that when we are testing each other, and one person reads the English, the other person cannot easily translate into what is in the book. It's also very misleading if you don't realise that the translation is inaccurate - you could learn completely the wrong meaning.

For example, "Puede decireme donde está el restaurante?" is translated as "Can you tell me where the dining room is?" "Dining room" is not "restaurant". Another one on the same page: "A qué hora tenemos que dejar la habitación?" is translated as "What time do we have to be out by?" This translation is very unhelpful and gives no clue as to what "dejar" actually means (to leave). And finally a third one a couple of pages earlier: "Puede despertarme a las siete, por favor?" is translated as "Can you give me an alarm call at seven o'clock please?" "Despertarme" means "wake me up" and not "alarm call". Very misleading.

The big problem with this sloppy translation is that you lose confidence in the book. You can probably guess that "restaurante" means "restaurant" and not "dining room", but what about new words that you come across? When you encounter a new word in Spanish within one of the phrases, you look at the English translation and wonder if it's accurate, and then have to look it up in a dictionary to check, which is ridiculous.

This is a major flaw and shows a disappointing lack of quality control for a big name like Collins.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2015 6:23 PM BST

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Use your Phone to Send Music to Your Old Hi-Fi, 12 Jan. 2014
I had a problem because the little mp3 player that I had plugged into my old hi-fi, to play my mp3 collection, was a pain to use. It had a tiny display, it did not shuffle all of my music properly, the battery kept going dead, it had to be plugged into my laptop to update the music and I had to get up and go to the hi-fi cupboard to skip tracks.

This box solved my problem.

Basically, any music that comes out of my phone or laptop is sent via bluetooth to the this box which pipes it to the hi-fi.

Using the smart phone for this is brilliant because the phone becomes in effect almost like a remote control for your hi-fi. From your armchair, you use whatever music player you have on your phone to play your phone's mp3 collection, shuffle or skip tracks, change the volume, switch between your mp3s and internet radio channels etc. And it all comes not out of your phone speaker, but out of your hi-fi speakers as if by magic.

I was surprised how small the box was when it arrived. It sits on top of my old hi-fi and is plugged into the back of it. There is no display on the box or any other control apart from one single button - you press it when pairing via bluetooth to your laptops, PCs and phones - and you only pair them once because it remembers the settings of all of them, so to use it afterwards you just switch it on when you switch on the hi-fi, and use your laptop/phone's bluetooth interface to connect to the box which appears in the list of available devices - the method varies depending on your phone etc. A single red LED goes green when a device is connected.

I am no audio expert, but the quality sounds really good to me, and I cannot turn it up to maximum volume without leaving the room!

I found it all really easy and we're using our phones to play music on the hi-fi as a matter of course now.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright - Great for Side Visibility, 12 Jan. 2014
These are an amazing development and all bikes out at night should have them or something like them. They are as bright as my rear LED bike light, but give brilliant green spinning, flashing light as the wheels turn, which means that cars coming out of side roads will be able to see you even when they can't see your rear and front lights.

Motion detection means that the lights do not have to be switched on and off unlike many of the lights you fit to your spokes. They light up and flash brightly only when your wheels move.

My first set of batteries lasted about 10 hours, but those were the batteries that came with the lights, so I don't know how old they were. The batteries are are very, very cheap to replace anyway.

I have tested them in very heavy rain several times, and also twice during a ride along a flooded river path where the lights were actually under water - no problem at all!

The screw thread on one of the lights was faulty, and cross-threaded as I fitted it. It soon fell off during a ride and I lost it, but the other three are fine and at this price I have ordered two more sets of four because despite the one faulty one, they seem resilient, water-proof, are so bright and make me feel so much safer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3