Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul

Paul (Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Miniaturist
The Miniaturist

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Miniaturist (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be a rather frustrating read. The author is clearly very talented and there is a great book in here struggling to get out. However, there is just too much wrong with it structurally. The whole miniaturist sub-plot is just an unhelpful distraction and is never properly explained. Also, the main character is oddly sympathetic to her husband, who treats her abominably. I am sure her next book will be better but I was quite glad to get to the end of this one I am afraid.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2015 3:04 PM GMT

Tigerbox® Premium Neoprene Sports Armband Mobile Phone Holder For Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Offered by Goldstar Beddings

1.0 out of 5 stars Very uncomfortable, 24 Oct. 2014
Because the Samsung S5 is a pretty big phone, I found this armband to be very uncomfortable. In fact, I wore it once and it abraded my arm to such an extent that it left a mark that is still there weeks later. Now it is possible that I had adjusted it poorly but I have not worn it again and instead bought a waist-fitted phone holder which is much more comfortable.

Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit - Charcoal Black
Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit - Charcoal Black

1.0 out of 5 stars An expensive watch, 29 Jun. 2014
First the good points. It is attractive and tells the time. Now for the negatives. I bought this and a Samsung S5 at the same time, particularly for the fitness application. It is a complete failure as far as my lifestyle is concerned. If you use the running application, despite the fact that it can potentially record your heart rate, it doesn't do this on a continuous basis so it only records the amount of steps and bases your energy expenditure on this. The other two options are cycling or hiking, which I haven't tried. If you want to record your awesome workout in the gym on the cross trainer or spinning, forget it. It just doesn't cater for it. You don't even seem to be able to add these workouts manually to the Samsung fitness app. You can check your emails and texts on it, but in practice you can only do this if you have your phone with you and it is easier to use your phone for this. It is a real waste of money.

Bike Jock Adult Supporter Jockstrap - Black - Size M
Bike Jock Adult Supporter Jockstrap - Black - Size M

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, 18 Nov. 2013
Keeps your crown jewels in place and doesn't chafe. It is well made and very comfortable. It also washes well.

Crystal Deodorant Stick 125 g
Crystal Deodorant Stick 125 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 18 Nov. 2013
I wish I had discovered this years ago. I tend to be quite intolerant of deodorants but I have had no reaction whatsoever to this and I have been using it for several weeks. It is very effective - the sternest test was using it when going to a very sweaty club and dancing all night and it didn't let me down! It is odourless and doesn't leave any marks on your clothes. Top stuff.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrival, 18 Nov. 2013
The bench arrived with the front panel having fallen off. There was no way of repairing as the screws had pulled out of the MDF leaving large holes. The company refunded my money without quibbling, but I am left with the job of taking the thing to landfill. It's not well made and I would not have thought it would last long even if it arrived intact.

From the Storm
From the Storm

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut novel, 15 May 2012
This review is from: From the Storm (Kindle Edition)
I had pretty much stopped buying low cost Kindle books after a couple of poor choices but this is really an excellent novel, full of promise for this author. It is extremely readable with believable characters and a great plot. Well worth picking up.

The Soup Bible. All the soups you will ever need in one inspirational collection.
by Debra Mayhew

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem, 11 Feb. 2012
We bought this book a couple of years ago and have been working through it ever since. I can honestly say that every single recipe has worked beautifully. The recipes are always easy to follow and make wonderful meals or starters. There are recipes from all over the world - the variety is simply amazing. We often make up the soup at the weekend for a quick mid-week meal and really look forward to our soup nights! You can't go wrong with this book and it may change the way you think of soup.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 6:15 PM GMT

Dark Matter
Dark Matter
by Michelle Paver

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gripping, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Dark Matter (Paperback)
Forgive the cliché but I really could not put this down - I was gripped from first to last page. The novel's setting is part of the key - the gathering gloom of the Arctic night is a perfect backdrop to a ghost story - but Paver's writing is also superb. Buy it. Read it. But don't expect to sleep in peace afterwards.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not miss, 28 May 2011
Cloud Atlas set the bar almost impossibly high for Mitchell, and although I enjoyed Black Swan Green very much, for me it never hit the heights of CA. The Thousand Autumns puts him right back up at the top of his game with a stunning book that introduces you to a world almost as strange as some of the future worlds in CA.

Set principally in a closed Japan on a Dutch island trading station and a sinister monastery, The Thousand Autumns is a complex tale of love, duty, culture clash set in a culture that seems wilfully blind to the forces outside of it that must challenge its orthodoxy. The dialogue is sometimes challenging but always witty and the book left me with a strange but affecting mix of emotions. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2