Profile for Trekkie > Reviews

Trekkie (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in the extreme, 22 May 2014
I read all the buyer and pro reviews before deciding to go ahead with buying this item. I got carried away by the hype and the rave reviews. I wish I had not bothered. I bought a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 headphones to go with it. They are excellent. On unpacking, I loved the industrial looks and the weight but that was the end of it. I have my own MP3/320 files and CD quality flac. I also bought a few hi rest music downloads to put the player though its paces. The sound was terrible. It sounded very confused in the mid and high frequencies and muddy in the bass, just very flat and unengaging. My usual music setup is the Fidelio X1's a Windows tablet and a FIIO E06 headphone amp. I use Qobuz for streaming CD quality flac files and this setup sounds amazing. I would have expected this player to 'blow my mind'. It didn't. Thinking I may have a fake unit, I checked its authenticity on the FIIO site and it was genuine. I tried to use it as a DAC with my tablet set up and couldn't get that to work. I exchanged numerous emails with FIIO in China, who were great. Very helpful and responded quickly, but they could solve the issue. In the end I sent it back for refund. I don't know if I had a 'rogue' unit but it was probably the worst piece of electronics I have bought and Ive got through a lot of hi fi equipment in my time. I don't consider myself an 'audiophile' as such but I love good quality equipment that delivers. The X5 came nowhere near.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2015 2:37 AM GMT

Philips Fidelio X1/00 Hi-Fi Stereo Indoor Headphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by GD MARKETING

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Headphones, 13 May 2014
I'm no 'audiophile' but I do appreciate listening to good quality audio. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD490 for a number of years, which I have always liked but felt it was time to upgrade. After doing a lot of searching online, reading user and professional reviews I got down to a choice of two. These Philips Fidelio X1 and the Yamaha Pro500. On balance, the X1's came out better on the comfort stakes, so I went for them. I have not been disappointed in any way. They are supremely comfortable. Given that they are large phone they seem to defy gravity when wearing them as after a few minutes I no longer notice them. They can be worn for long sessions, no problem. Incidentally, wearing glasses doesn't interfere with the comfort. They sound great but when fed with high quality audio they sound out of this world. They have a very precise and details upper range, voices sound fantastic, and the bass is tight and controlled with amazing extension. I've recently discovered a streaming audio site that streams in full CD quality flac. Listening on this site brought a smile of delight to my lips lol. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these headphones and am delighted that I chose them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 3:33 PM BST

Sony KDL32W654 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED Smart TV with Freeview HD Silver (New for 2013)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV but not Perfect, 9 Dec. 2013
I bought this TV because it had a good spec for the price and for the Sony brand. Its a very nice looking TV and the picture is good though not brilliant but fine for tbe price. One of the features that was important to me was the Motionflow XR 200hz. However I found no reference to thus feature in the menus. I had a look through the forums and many people were complaining of the lack of this feature on the W65 series and there were replies from Sony saying this series never dud have this feature. Despite this, it is still showing on their own website. On to the smart features. These have proved to be a bit hit and miss despite my having a fibre optic broadband and the TV connected to the router via a mains adapter, so I should be getting the full speed. Sometimes it works fine, other times I just give up. The EPG frequently has channels which are not populated with program information so renders it somewhat useless. I have made numerous calls to Sony about this but they can provide no solution. All very frustrating. I most probably will not buy Sony the next time the TV needs replacing. The design and the picture quality are good somif you like that you'll probably like this but I would say don't buy it for the EPG or smart features.

Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad
Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad
Offered by SELECTED DEALS

5.0 out of 5 stars Returned, 16 Sept. 2013
I did return this item but not because there was anything wrong with it. Its beautifully made and has a very polished and tactile feel. It works very well indeed and I would say is worth the price. If you're used to using a touchpad. I had been getting a lot of muscle ache in my mousing arm so was hoping that this would help. Unfortunately it didn't but that's no fault of the product itself.

Perixx PERIDUO-703W UK, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Set - Full Size - Piano White - 2.4G - Up to 10 Meters Operating Range - Chiclet Key Design - Branded Batteries Included - 128 Bit AES Encryption - UK Layout
Offered by Perixx UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Keyboard, 26 July 2013
I went for this keyboard as I'm changing my computer and peripherals to white. I was getting a bit bored with the ubiquitous black. I needed a wireless keyboard but didn't want to pay the earth. It takes up a lot less desktop space than my previous keyboard, Logitech, which is a good thing. Looks smart and minimalist and I like the feel of the keys and find my typing speed isn't affected by the spacing. The mouse is a bit smaller than I expected, I have large hands, but it's about par for the course. The software that comes with it is naff and worthless, though it's not needed as its PnP anyway. I really like this keyboard and can recommend it.

Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones - Cream
Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones - Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pair of Headphones., 2 Feb. 2013
I've owned a pair of Sennheiser HD490 for a good number of years and they still sound good. But the earpads had gone flat so no longer comfortable to wear. I thought I might like to go for the wireless option to save me tripping over on the cable. I listen to all my music on my PC. I ordered the RS170 which duly arrived. I found the sound to be a little thin for my liking and, as some others have mentioned, I was getting an audible hum when the volume was low and when there were quiet patches with no sound there was a click as the headphones switched off then back on again. I wasn't at all happy so returned them and went for the HD598's. I was a little disappointed at first as they too sounded a bit thin and unengaging compared to my older ones. But after burning in they are sounding a lot better. I think you need a good source to get the best from them, preferrably lossless, I'm using FLAC now instead of MP3 320. They seem a very different style to my old ones and it's taking time to get used to them. But would I recommend them? Yes. I'm thinking of going for the Arcam rPAC to hopefully further improve the sound.

Morphy Richards Comfigrip 40855 Steam Iron, 2200 Watt Trizone Ceramic Soleplate - Charcoal/ Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased with purchase., 17 April 2012
This is a well designed and substantial iron. It might not be the lightest but it gives great results. I particularly like the large filling aperture so its not necessary to use a pouring jug, this is very convenient. The extra metre on the cable is also well thought out. All in all a very good iron and at a really good price.

Braun Oral-B Pulsonic Sonic Rechargeable Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Pulsonic Sonic Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy With Purchase, 29 Dec. 2011
I've had a Braun electric toothbrush for a number of years but it needed replacing. After reading online about sonic brushes I decided to go for the Braun again. Not had it very long but first impressions are very favourable. It's a great design and seems very well constructed. An irrelevant point really, but I like the sound compared to a conventional electric toothbrush. Its a bit of a different sensation but strangely pleasant lol.
All in all I'm very happy indeed with my purchase and feel I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a replacement.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2012 11:45 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative, 1 Aug. 2011
I was initially a bit dubious about buying 'generic' replacement heads as I thought they may not fit properly or not last as long. However I needn't have worried. I'm very happy with my purchase, they do fit like the originals and represent good value for money. The 'originals' are a bit overpriced I've always thought so was pleased I came across these.

How to Make Polymer Clay Beads
How to Make Polymer Clay Beads
by Carol Blackburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Book, 29 April 2010
This was my first book on the subject and it was a great choice. It is filled with practical projects which are explained, step by step, with high quality photographs. There is a section called The Gallery at the back which shows how far you can go with this fascinating craft. It is an inspirational book, well written and with superb photography and a great starter for getting into polymer clay bead making.

Page: 1 | 2