Profile for nightjourney90210 > Reviews

Run Lola Run [DVD] [2000]
Run Lola Run [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Franka Potente

5.0 out of 5 stars Better with subtitles, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Run Lola Run [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I don't know why but the default setting on the DVD release is English Dialogue and No Subtitles. The beginning of the film is a voice over and since the voice is in English you may forget that you are watching a German film until the awful dubbing becomes clear. REMEMBER to set the disk up with German Dialogue and English Subtitles before starting the film... unless you like that sort of thing, and if so I have no sympathy for you!!!!! (Hate dubbed stuff! Prefer a good read any day, hee hee.)

Night Mother [DVD]
Night Mother [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sissy Spacek

4.0 out of 5 stars Will she or won't she?, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Night Mother [DVD] (DVD)
This tale of a woman planning her suicide and discussing it with her mum was once on telly past midnight when I was a kid, so I taped it (VHS, last century, the good old days) and it fell off the end of the tape (bad old days). It was never on again and never released on DVD until recently so I never knew if she went ahead with it. Finally found out, and now you can too.

There are no extras. Its stage roots are clearly seen. Its a two hander basically and interestingly Kathy Bates was in the stage version but too unknown to be in the film. (I think it was written for her, oh well, she has an Oscar now so no complaining!) A bit bleak but good acting.

The Mist [DVD]
The Mist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thomas Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Jumanji but without the whimsy, 13 April 2009
This review is from: The Mist [DVD] (DVD)
The single disc edition has a commentary, deleted scenes, brilliant Webisodes and an interview between Stephen King and Frank Darabont. I love Stephen King interviews in DVD extras, especially when I wasn't expecting them but this one has a bit too much in the way of back slapping and oral gushings - very insightful but a bit cringey. A lot has been said about the story here so I won't go over trodden ground, so how about a couple of observations? May be trodden ground, I haven't read all the reviews. That tree at the beginning - I thought 'Hey, they're ripping off Poltergeist' but then as the film went on I realised it was 'homage' not 'thievery', I wondered what they were doing with that painting of The Thing but it turned out to be genuine Drew Struzen stuff there. What kind of King fan am I? I thought he was painting some Clint Eastwood thing, didn't notice it was The Dark Tower... well I'm only on the third book, what d'you want from me? Have any of you read IT? Remember what happened to Eddie? There's something here for you. Ever wondered what Carrie's mother would be like at the mall? There's something here for you. Ever wondered what it would be like if some kids were playing Jumanji during a weather front and it wasn't cute? Most of the film's for you. Yikes! Ever wondered what it would be like if you gave a monkeys for the people being eaten by those funky things in King Kong, keep wondering... just kidding, the characters here are brilliant and I cared what happened to them right up to and including the end.

Star Trek: DVD Movies Collection I-X [DVD]
Star Trek: DVD Movies Collection I-X [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars Half of one thing, half something else (like Spock), 12 April 2009
This boxset was released right in the middle of them sorting out Director's Cuts/Special Editions etc. So the first few films are funky new things whereas the later ones don't have any extras. But I am not moaning about the lack of extras, I'm moaning about what they've done to the The Wrath of Khan. Please BE WARNED, where other films' special editions put deleted scenes in a Special Features menu, this one sticks them right back into the film, and not in a good Lord of the Rings way either but in an ABYSMAL way, replacing whole scenes with slightly different ones, or putting back rubbish that deserved to be on the cutting room floor (or, if you must, under a Special Features menu). I was so appalled that I ran out and bought the bog standard DVD version of Wrath of Khan and stuck the disc in this box set. So, amusingly, when the pack opens out, you have all these cool looking blue disks and one sore thumb of a Ricardo Montalban cartoon sticking out. I'm fine with no extras on the others if it means they don't chop up a beloved film from my childhood. As you all know, the films themselves are hit and miss but at least you have them all here just in case. Why 4 stars? The replacement Wrath of Khan was real cheap and I could breathe easy again.

Frasier Complete Collection (Series 1-11) [DVD]
Frasier Complete Collection (Series 1-11) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kelsey Grammer
Offered by Callums Cheaper Items - CUSTOMER IS PRIORITY NUMBER 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Regarding the complete box set, 8 April 2009
I don't know why but I expected the yellow box to be huge, but in fact it's quite dinky. It does not contain all 11 box sets previously released. Instead, it is just the 4 differently coloured, well, folders really, that are pictured. The disks themselves are crammed in so it is quite compact and can fit on your shelf fine. I imagine that the actual disks are the same as the ones that were in the individual series box sets (they have pictures on them etc) and it seems that the special features (audio commentaries etc) are all here.

There really is not any art in here, like lots of pictures of the cast or any little booklets or anything like that; if that's what you like you may prefer the individual box sets (though I can't say if they have anything like that in them) but if you're a completest, like me, and if the price is right (like it is right now (April '09)) you might want to snap this up.

Noises Off! [DVD] [1992]
Noises Off! [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Michael Caine

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfred Hitchcock's Rope but without the extras, 9 Mar 2006
This review is from: Noises Off! [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
The film itself is brilliant. It is based on a stage play. On stage you just get continuous action without cutaways and they have attempted to film huge long complex scenes without cuts, much like Alfred Hitchcock did with Rope. You may not notice this straight away but it adds to the effect of a flowing hilarious stage farce.
The original play is set in Britain, the film is set in America but that fact adds another layer to it. The play within the film is set in Britain still and it makes for some extra jokes to the ones in the play. I've seen the play and I think the film is much snappier as it crams the action in without unnecessary pausing. The cast is great, every one. Sadly Denholm Elliot, Christopher Reeve and John Ritter have since died. Their performances are fantastic.
Now to the extras on the DVD. There aren't any. Wait, there are subtitles. It is not even widescreen! And I don't like the box cover. I prefer the American one, that was the old video cover when I first rented this years ago. There is nothing in the box but a disc. It is a shame but what can you do? At least the film itself is standalone excellent.

Dolores Claiborne [DVD] [1995]
Dolores Claiborne [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Kathy Bates
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch it again and again, 24 May 2004
How many films can you name that you would gladly pick up and watch again and again? Some people can only count them on one hand. This is one of those films. I suppose one reason is the great dialogue. When you're young you want action and big explosions but when you get older you want a film for grown ups. Watching this film you realise you have discovered just that, a film where you bring your brain along and are glad that you did.
Apart from the marvellous dialogue an intriguing aspect is the way the story is told. Not linear, it goes back and forth but you are so glad that it does. Some people can be put off by that, but that is because some films do it to pretend they are clever when they are not. This film however doesn't annoy when it does it. I don't know how they managed it but jumps to a place just when you want it to.
Jennifer Jason Leigh is wonderful in this, Judy Parfitt too, it is a talented ensemble cast.
Now, this is Stephen King. I am a big fan of his but can tell a mile off when he has had a hand in the film adaptations. Rest assured, this is one of the best, in the class of The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and Misery, you know, the ones he has nothing to do with. When he gets involved you end up with The (dreaded) Langoliers, The (drawn out) Golden Years, The (not bad) Storm of the Century, The (toned down) Stand and The (really rather good) Shining (the TV one not the Kubrick one). These are all made for TV and they belie their TV roots in their excessive length and tame content. The ones he leaves alone and lets the movie makers get on with can sometimes be delightful grown-up affairs. Be assured, this is not tame, and although it does spend a little time away from the story it all adds to the atmosphere, something this film has in spades!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2009 10:05 PM BST

Roswell - Season 1 [DVD] [2000]
Roswell - Season 1 [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Shiri Appleby

1.0 out of 5 stars Waited years, what a waste of years, 28 April 2004
I am a real fan of Roswell High (or Roswell if you're buying it or live outside the UK). I loved it and was so annoyed with BBC2 for constantly moving it around the schedules, leading me to miss key episodes, and then not bother showing the 3rd series. I was always looking out for it to be released on DVD so that I could finally have it, convinced that the moment I saw it I would slap my money down and snap it up.... but what's this? Reviews from amazon.com expressing dispair at the changed music. My heart begins to fill with dread: Don't tell me they are dealing this wounded show yet another blow. But there is still light at the end of the tunnel, maybe the Americans are getting a rough deal and we Brits will get the proper version, like we did with the first series of Twin Peaks. But what is this? Monday lunchtime I make a dash for the DVD shelves and what is the ridiculous phrase appearing on the cover? "All new cutting edge music" ..... "NOOOOO" How could they do this to us?

I am going to make a point here and I hope on some level you will agree. We, that is people who buy box sets, we are completests. Completests don't care how much something is, we must have the set. Completests are by definition obsessives, change one little thing and we throw our toys out of the pram and say "I'm not having that!" The music on Roswell wasn't the be all and end all of the show but it was one of the most important aspects. I hate having some unknown, unseen bureaucrat tell me what I can and can't have. If they don't think we will pay that little bit more just so they can get the copyright for the original songs then they don't know what sort of people buy boxsets. I bought the soundtrack. Why would they bother selling the soundtrack then assume no one cares about the music? It makes no sense!

Anyway I have had my rant, after all these years of being convinced that I would gladly part with my money for this DVD I find myself without it in my collection.

Oh well, I will just have to go without, and Fox will have to go without my money. The joke is, they were probably gutted they couldn't afford the music, but then pretended to prefer the new second rate version. If you are like me I urge you to consider how you feel about this sort of money grabbing attitude and blatant disregard for the feelings of the fans before parting with your hard earned cash. Maybe they will come to their senses and release the original version on DVD. I can wait, after all, I have been for the last few years.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2009 3:09 AM BST

New York Voices
New York Voices
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't walk..... RUN!, 18 Jun 2003
This review is from: New York Voices (Audio CD)
This album epitomises the great early nineties jazz sound. And although their later album 'Hearts of Fire' actually contains no songs you want to skip this has earned a special place in my heart as the first NYV album I bought. I seem to recall it being older than the 1997 date shown above. Complex vocalisations and harmonies are their domain. Tight and professional, no rough edges to be found here. 'Dare The Moon' is the one I am currently into the most. It keeps going, being generous in it's length, with a wonderful long instrumental period in the middle. 'Now or Never', the easiest to listen to when the album is new, while 'Who Knows?' has a haunting intro using instuments indicative of an earlier jazz age, one from the mid to late '80's. If you are in an innovative mood 'Round Midnight' leaves you wondering how high they can go. Don't wait, snap this one up.... Go on, turn it up!