Profile for Bob The Bobcat > Reviews

Content by Bob The Bobcat

Bob The Bobcat (England)

Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan 1957-1973 (Songs of Bob Dylan Vol 1)
by Clinton Heylin

4.0 out of 5 stars Music in the cafes at night and..., 27 May 2009
One of the better recent books that's joined the others on my sagging and straining "Bob Dylan" shelf. Heylin's a master at dissecting Dylan and offering new ways to consider songs that you might have heard a thousand times or more. What he isn't is a prose stylist. This book could've done with some editorial streamlining to take out some of Heylin's clunky turns of phrase or semi-jokes. But its probably unfair to carp too much about that when the essence of the book is so strong. I've probably got 30 or 40 Dylan books and I am glad I got this one. If you only have a handful then this is a good addition to your collection.

There Will Be Rainbows: A Biography of Rufus Wainwright
There Will Be Rainbows: A Biography of Rufus Wainwright
by Kirk Lake

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the Loudon material alone..., 27 May 2009
I bought this as a used book from my local Oxfam bookshop (it still had the press release in it). If I hadn't been able to browse it I probably wouldn't have bought it as I am not a huge Rufus Wainwright fan. However I am a massive Loudon Wainwright fan. The publishers have missed a trick here. The cover should make it clear it is about the whole family not just Rufus. The book tells their whole story from the 1960s New York coffee bar scene right up to the present day. It also includes Loudon's wife Kate and her sister Anna McGarrigle (also very important folk musicians). It's an interesting read with some wonderfully odd footnotes that link all kinds of things you wouldn't have thought were connected. And it actually made me want to go and buy some Rufus Wainwright albums. Like the Barney Hoskyns Tom Waits book (see my earlier review) this suffers a little bit from not having any new interviews with the main stars (which is why I rate it 4 stars not 5)but there are plenty of other interviews such as the director of a film that Rufus was in as a child. To me at least it was full of stuff that I didn't know and painted a vivid portrait of an unusual and extremely talented musical family.

Grumpy Old Rockstar: and Other Wondrous Stories
Grumpy Old Rockstar: and Other Wondrous Stories
by Rick Wakeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Fun, 27 May 2009
I was given this as a gift. When I saw what it was I was a bit taken aback. I'm no prog fan and YES remain a dirty word round my way. But... give him his due this is a quick and entertaining read. Not really a biography. More the kind of long winded anecdote he probably tells in the pub or on those "grumpy" tv shows. Still not going to get me putting on one of his albums though.

Tony Hancock: The Definitive Biography
Tony Hancock: The Definitive Biography
by John Fisher

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 May 2009
One of the saddest things I have seen on a TV screen is the bloated Hancock in his last series of shows for Australian TV... This excellent and thorough books is a clear guide through the trajectory of Hancock from his early promise, his magnificent peak and his tragic decline. It manages to be informative and moving without being mawkish.

Northline
Northline
by Willy Vlautin

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 7 April 2009
This review is from: Northline (Paperback)
This book reminds me of Denis Johnson and Barry Gifford. It's a simple story beautifully told. Wonderful.

It Still Moves: Lost Songs, Lost Highways, and the Search for the Next American Music
by Amanda Petrusich

2.0 out of 5 stars yawn, i couldn't stop..., 7 April 2009
There is a good idea for a book here (somewhere). Unfortunately the writer gets bogged down by means of that tired "gonzo" journalist strategy of including herself in the narrative whenever possible. her writing on the music is fine but the endlessly repetitive hotel room/travel/road material just drrrrrrrrrraaaaaggsss. She is just not on top of her writing enough to get away with turning a music book into a pitch for some kind of indie-road-movie. She's no willy vlautin that's for sure. As music criticism/study its okay, as a travelogue it barely moves...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2009 10:12 PM GMT

Lowside of the Road: A Life of Tom Waits
Lowside of the Road: A Life of Tom Waits
by Barney Hoskyns

3.0 out of 5 stars Waits exposed - the curtain pulled back, 7 April 2009
well written and researched and strong on detail for the early tropicana motel days. tends to drag on a little when we get to the 1990s as the author has no real first hand information and we are left to rely on previously printed reviews/ interviews. in that respect it is not much better than the p humphries book. but, the early stuff is interesting and at least hoskyns doesn't try and ape waits' schtick like poor patrick humphries did. read in conjunction with the collected interviews book i think we are as close as we're going to get to waits without him spilling it himself... the most interesting thing for me was that after reading the book i actually saw what charles bukowski meant when he said of waits that "he hasn't got an original idea in his body" (or words to that effect)... probably without meaning to hoskyns pulls the curtain from in front of waits like the wizard of oz exposed... "tom waits", the character, is a sham, but an entertaining and talented one.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2009 8:43 PM BST