Profile for Jane Napier > Reviews

F10598Nvy Ruby Shoo Candice Womens High Heel Heeled T Bar Court Shoes Size Uk 7
F10598Nvy Ruby Shoo Candice Womens High Heel Heeled T Bar Court Shoes Size Uk 7
Offered by Mr Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted!, 7 May 2014
I got these shoes today and I just LOVE them. They are so different, comfy and they made me look taller! I can't wait to wear them to my husband's 50th birthday.

The Saint Zita Society
The Saint Zita Society
by Ruth Rendell

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruth Rendell disappoints, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Saint Zita Society (Hardcover)
I am so relieved to read a lot of other negative reviews on this page, as I was starting to doubt my sanity. I used to be ridiculously excited by the publication of a new Ruth Rendell but they've become increasingly more of a chore and this one is a shocker. Ludicrous and unbelievable young people, as pointed out by other reviewers;awful mistakes (characters wearing boots one minute and shoes the next); risable ethnic minorities - it's as if the author simply doesn't live in this century. I will give the new Barbara Vine a try when it's published, as I've pre-ordered it now but if that's no good then I'm going to have to call it a day. I'm really sad about it though.

Black Skies
Black Skies
by Arnaldur Indridason

2.0 out of 5 stars Change of translator - not sure?, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Black Skies (Hardcover)
I have read all of the books (translated into English)written by Indridason and loved them all. I like the basic premise of this one and am enjoying the story but I wondered if anyone else has trouble with the translation in it? I find the writing strangely stilted when it's always flowed beautifully before. I also wonder why he changed the translator.I don't think my enjoyment of the story is sufficient to keep me reading it to the end when I find myself constantly annoyed by aspects of the translation. Perhaps I'm just an old misery!Thought I would just write this to see what others felt.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 8:58 PM BST

The Red House
The Red House
by Mark Haddon

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want it to ever stop!, 21 May 2012
This review is from: The Red House (Hardcover)
I have just finished this and now I feel a sense of loss. I eked out the last half of it because I was enjoying it so much. The style of writing is fantastic; poetic and lyrical and the characters are compelling, even if most of them are seriously flawed as people. I assume Mark Haddon is implying that we are all short of perfect but that doesn't make us less interesting or worthy of love. The little boy was hilarious. Mark Haddon writes about children so well.

The house itself and the surrounding countryside is beautifully described and,some of it to me at least,is familiar, as I've been to Raglan lots of times!

I SO much prefer this book to "A Spot of Bother", which I read but didn't really enjoy. I can't recommend this one highly enough.

Died In The Wool
Died In The Wool

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible disappointment from the Boy Sylvian, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Died In The Wool (MP3 Download)
I heard a track from this CD on Radio 3 and loved it and very ill-advisedly rushed to Amazon to download the whole album. Big mistake. There are only two bearable tracks on it - the rest is self-indulgent claptrap and totally unlistenable. This is only MY opinion, of course, and other people might love it. I will be keen to read other reviews and see what people think. I played it to my husband in the car and he begged me to turn it off and he normally refuses to give up on new purchases until he's listened to them three times. There is NO WAY I can bring myself to listen to this three times. Twice was enough. Sorry David. You may be the most beautiful man in the world but do more singing and less jazzy noodling. It'a awful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2013 5:24 PM BST

Laptop Charger for Toshiba Satellite L450D (All Models) Inc L450D-11X L450D-113 L450D-128 L450D-11W Compatible Replacement Laptop Charger Adapter Adaptor (12 month warranty and UK p/cord included) - "Laptop Power UK" (TM) Branded
Offered by Cambridge Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain buy, perfect., 5 May 2011
My son and I managed to break both of our chargers for our matching Toshiba laptops so we now share this one and it's working a treat. It cost less than I was expecting to fork out (having spent nearly £100 on a charger for a Vaio last year!! Dunno how the Sony people sleep at night) so we are very happy customers.

What to Look for in Winter
What to Look for in Winter
by Candia McWilliam

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, 28 Dec 2010
I am a big fan of Candia McWilliam and I have to say, I DID wonder where she had gone and what had happened to her so I was excited to see she had this book out, supposedly explaining everything. I have to admit, I just can't finish it. I know I'm a lone voice because everyone else loves it - it's "brave and fearless" etc and I'll give you that but it's also the most pretentious load of old claptrap I've ever struggled to read. The constant name-dropping!"Oh, Dame Naomi Mitchison was once almost slightly rude to me", "Oh here I am going blind in a rich friend's flat in Chelsea...woe is me". It's unbearable. I can't believe I'm the only person who feels this way. This is the only book in 2010 that I simply can't finish. It's in my desk drawer at work and that's where it's staying. I wouldn't inflict it on anyone else. Simply ghastly! Someone please tell me it was worth ploughing through and why! I will say though, that she has the most fantastic way with words and this well-disguised lump of self pity is beautifully written but that's not enough to keep my interest.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 10:54 PM GMT

The Forgery of Venus
The Forgery of Venus
by Michael Gruber

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual high standard for Gruber, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Forgery of Venus (Hardcover)
I simply loved reading this book and never wanted it to end. Michael Gruber brings the techniques of painting alive (and I'm no artist!) and his describing of pigments and brushstrokes had me hooked. There was danger, adventure, mystery and romance - everything a good book needs! If you are a fan, you won't be disappointed and if you're new to Gruber, give it a go but also read "The Book Of Air and Shadows" and see what Dan Brown could be if he tried harder!

Our Tragic Universe
Our Tragic Universe
by Scarlett Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner but worth it, 17 July 2010
This review is from: Our Tragic Universe (Hardcover)
I have read everything I can get my hands on by this writer. I love her. I was so pleased to see a new book out and rushed to buy it. I did find it a bit heavy at first. The usually light touch with humour and relationships was not there at first and it seemed a bit...well..laboured. I loved all the philosophy, physics and metaphysics and storytelling though and carried on with it and quickly became completely gripped.

There is no other writer to compare with Scarlett Thomas, in my opinion. I mean that as in I can't think of anyone of whom I can say "Hey she's a bit like so and so". So I couldn't say "If you like Phillip Pullman, you'll love Scarlett Thomas". Oh hang on, I just did. Hmm. Try her though! Just don't start with this one. Start with "The End of Mr Y" and then you'll become a mad fan like I am. REALLY worth a try.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2011 6:55 PM GMT

Family Album
Family Album
by Penelope Lively

5.0 out of 5 stars Penelope Lively does it again, 17 July 2010
This review is from: Family Album (Paperback)
I am a fan anyway but I was excited when I got this book - and I wasn't disappointed. I couldn't put it down. I can't believe that Ms Lively is still turning out such fab books. Thoroughly recommended for a bit of enjoyable summer garden reading. Give it a go if you haven't read her before!