ARRAY(0xabe18fe4)

Profile for J. Halstead > Reviews

Content by J. Halstead

J. Halstead "BlackMetal41" (Solihull, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Das Seelenbrechen
Das Seelenbrechen

5.0 out of 5 stars Much, much better!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Das Seelenbrechen (Audio CD)
Probably repeating what others have said here - I adore Emperor's early work. I Am the Black Wizard was the song that really changed my life and introduced me to the whole Norwegian Black Metal scene, Anthems at the Welkin at Dusk being in my top CD's of all time. Things went a bit downhill after that, there were a few good songs on IX Equilibrium but only one of the songs on Prometheus piqued my senses. There were promising moments on The Adversary but After and AngL were so awful I didn't bother with Eremetia. So here we are with Das Seelenbrechen, first played on spotify after some favourable reviews but then decided to purchase. I've played a few times now and yes, its a definite improvement. Still a lot of Avant Garde progressive bollocks, but also some tunes and some black metal. Some impressive drum work and great vocals and not too much of the hideous saxaphone. Favourite track is "Rec" . If, like me, you'd given up on Ihsahn, or if you've played this once and dismissed it, I urge you to give it another chance.

Zeon Coin Sorter
Zeon Coin Sorter
Price: 18.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Zeon Coin Sorter (Kitchen & Home)
The principle is great. Take all your change and have it sorted into each type of coin. It doesn't count the coins so don't expect to be able to go straight from this device to the bank, you still have to count the coins once sorted. The main problem is that whilst my device works perfectly for 1p, 5p and 20p, everything else is a mess. The 2p's and 10p's get mixed together and often jam the mechanism. It seems from reviews that others have had the same problem and yet some have no complaints at all so maybe its just pot luck as to whether you get one that was put together better! I guess its only 20 and its very "plastic" so perhaps its more of a novelty than a genuine household tool.

Worship Music
Worship Music
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Worship Music (Audio CD)
Before we begin - I love John Bush and all the albums Anthrax made with him as singer, and it was disgraceful the way they shoe horned Joey Belladonna back into the band 6 years ago for what appeared to be purely money reasons, possibly under pressure from the record company. Typically there was some to and fro after that with Bush, Joey and Dan Nelson. As I've said in other Anthrax reviews, I think Among the Living isn't as good as Spreading the Disease and I prefer the John Bush versions of Joey songs on the Greater of Two Evils CD. So - I wasn't going to bother with this, I've got the Big 4 DVD and Joey looked old and tired. However, offered a copy to listen too I find myself tapping my feet, loving the beat and even the vocals. Obviously there's some "enhancement" to how they've recorded Joey's voice, but his vocals are good, his best ever by far. The music picks up where We've Come For You All left off, the songs are mostly very good and I think most John Bush era fans will be pleasantly surprised. So if you're an Anthrax fan of any era, its time to let it go and give this a chance. Hopefully the band will play some more of the Bush material when they play live although it may be akin to asking Ozzy to sing the odd track from Heaven and Hell! (which would be a hell of a tribute following the loss of RJD)

In The Abscene Of Light
In The Abscene Of Light
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the magazine reviews this is quality, 3 Mar 2011
This review is from: In The Abscene Of Light (Audio CD)
I purchased AW's debut CD In The Shadow of a Thousand Suns in 2008 and found it to be a refreshing slab of atmospheric black metal not dissimilar to the first two (full) Emperor CD's. I was very keen to hear this but read a number of negative reviews including "Terrorizer" with which I'm normally on a similar wave length. I decided to check it out on Spotify (a good site to test CD's you're not too sure about) only to be blown away by how superb it is. Certainly one of my top 10 CD's of the year alongside Watain and Enslaved (and also another band worth checking out - Netherbird). Whereas the music press were labelling it as nothing special, I found this to be AW's Anthem to the Welkin at Dusk. If, like me you much preferred Emperors earlier work to the technical stuff on their last 2 CD's, then Abigail Williams is a good place to start. Its got great riffs, great vocals, a superb atmosphere of sound. AW are by no means Emperor copies, but its a term of reference if you like that type of black metal. Check it out, I think you'll agree, I just hope they don't go changing everything to appease the reviewers who have got it wrong this time!

The Premiere Collection
The Premiere Collection
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation, 25 Jan 2011
I've owned this compilation of ALW songs for a long time having purchased it on cassette back in the 80's I think. It contains definitive versions of the top songs from his productions at that time. Crawfords, Music Of The Night and the two songs by Marti Webb are better versions than you'll hear on most other ALW collections. In short, I think this is well worth thinking about if you don't want to shell out for the whole shows!

Mustaine: A Life in Metal
Mustaine: A Life in Metal
by Joseph Layden

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, 10 Oct 2010
I, like a previous reviewer read this in two sittings and found it to be a gripping read. To be honest I've never been a great Megadeth fan, Killing is my Business was hopeless alongside, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and lets please include Exodus. Needless to say, Mustaine pretty much confirms my opinion, and I do like the way he's happy to accept the mistakes he's made throughout his life. It is a warts and all auto-biography and if you're hoping he sticks the knife into other members of Metallica or Slayer, he gives an honest account without slinging mud. I've docked it a star for two reasons. Although Dave gives us a horror story of his use of drugs, he does sometimes glamorize that side of his life, suggesting that drugs are OK if you're a rock star. Also, the book does lose its appeal towards the end, particularly with his 'born-again' ideals. I hate the way he cancelled the tour with Rotting Christ and Dissection because they are "Satanic", which is incorrect in both cases. He mentions some quotes made by the Dissection singer which are exactly the sort of bollocks Dave himself used to say back when he was still mad with Lars and James et al. He's also happy to share stages and cocktails with Slayer these days, and I'm failing to see the difference between Slayer and Rotting Christ. Slayer may not have Satanic beliefs, but who does? - Even the majority of Black Metal bands might have a pagan or anti-religious theme, that's because Satan sells, it always has - just ask Black Sabbath. It doesn't mean any of them practice what they preach and is it any more dangerous than taking drugs? Maybe this more of an opinion of Dave himself rather than an appraisal of the book but it did make me angry as I reached the end. It is amusing that I find So Far So Good...So What to be my favourite Megadeth album, and I much prefer the original to the remixed CD version. Perhaps Dave and I wouldn't agree on many things if we ever met

Let There Be Blood
Let There Be Blood
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 9.12

5.0 out of 5 stars More Satisfying than the original, 25 Nov 2008
This review is from: Let There Be Blood (Audio CD)
Just in case you're not aware, this CD is a "remake" of the Exodus debut LP, Bonded by Blood. It features the current Exodus line up responsible for the last few Exodus records including singer Rob Dukes. I bought Bonded By Blood when it was released, and I thought it was amazing alongside the other thrash classics. However, I don't believe it stood the test of time, particularly Paul Bailoff's vocals. Exodus went on to make some great CD's with Steve Souza and it's great to see them back over the last few years. I know Paul has gone and we wont criticise the dead, but Rob Dukes is superb, the production is 100% better and the band have over 20 years experience. This CD works on all fronts - If you loved Bonded by Blood and you want to hear it given a breath of life, or if your a fan off the new stuff that just wants to hear another great CD, then Let There be Blood is for you.

Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010]
Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Opeth
Offered by Vinylhead
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Night to Remember, 25 Nov 2008
Unlike others, I recalled reading in the press that there was always going to be a DVD release of this tour, so I didn't go out and buy the CD. It's been a long wait - I saw this tour in Birmingham and have to say that Opeth truly are one of the finest groups. Particularly as they transpose their complex songs effortlessly into a live forum. Featured here are songs from all their CD's except Deliverence which was a disappointment as its my favourite Opeth record! Everything is faultless, Michael's "chat" with the audience is quite amusing and the extras include a soundcheck and interviews with the band. The only thing that irritated me was the sound bites from the crowd after the gig but I guess I'll just turn it off before they start in future! Opeth are superb and this is a fitting swansong for their departing guitar player Peter Lindgren.

Asperger Counselling for Couples
Asperger Counselling for Couples
by Barrie Thompson
Price: 23.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 9 Sep 2008
This is by far the most useful book ever written on the subject of Aspergers Syndrome. Its clear and concise with easy to understand diagrams. The Author is clearly an expert in this field and I look forward to seeing more of his work. Those that have suffered or lived with Aspergers, particularly couples and families will find this book to be a fantastic guide to dealing with their issues. Highly recomended.

Tulimyrsky
Tulimyrsky
Price: 10.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Was Expecting, 11 July 2008
This review is from: Tulimyrsky (Audio CD)
I'v always found Moonsorrow to be a little bit more "out there" than some of the other current crop of Finnish bands. Finntroll's last CD seemed to concentrate more on Death Metal whilst the latest Korpiklaani is even more folky than their classic Terveskanto CD. My favourite Moonsorrow is Kiventantaja, possibly because it does feature more of the folk elements I like from this genre. Tulimyrsky does have elements particularly in its massive 29 minute title track - the word Epic doesn't quite cover it! -Its as good as the the two lengthy tracks that made up the Havitetty EP. However there is more on offer here - A cover version of For Whom the bell tolls which is maybe a bit to "by the numbers". The other tracks, well, they're different... I dare to say they reminded me of Darkthrone's early days - Its a harsh black metal vocal over some very fast riffs. Its all very excellent, just not what you were expecting. Moonsorrow are certainly not conforming to any pigeon hole classification. They're a great band that do their own thing - The new Emperor maybe!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5