Profile for J. Halstead > Reviews

Content by J. Halstead

J. Halstead "BlackMetal41" (Solihull, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Seven Seals
Seven Seals
Offered by tws-music-eu
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Their finest CD to date, 22 May 2006
This review is from: Seven Seals (Audio CD)
Like others I gave Primal Fear a go because I thought that singer Ralf Scheepers was amazing in Gamma Ray - Indeed, I understand he almost got the job in Judas Priest when Rob Halford left. Should you ever hear Gamma Ray's live version of the Priest standard "Exciter" then Scheepers will have sold himself already. Black Sun is regarded as Primal Fear's highlight, and indeed its great album worthy of many stars. Its nowhere near as good as this one. Seven Seals is amazing - Fast and heavy with great melodies and catchy choruses, Scheepers is outstanding as ever. You liked early Helloween, then you liked Gamma Ray - Now its time to switch allegiance once again. Its even better than the latest Dragonforce CD (Inhuman Rampage). You need to hear this.

Metal Black
Metal Black
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was hoping for, 10 May 2006
This review is from: Metal Black (Audio CD)
I'm getting on a bit, I still own vinyl copies of Venom's LP's from the 80's including the singles. I was even a member of the Venom Legion's fan club. The last Venom CD I bought was Prime Evil which didn't feature Cronos on vocals. I never heard Cast In Stone but I was tempted by the reviews of Metal Black and I have to admit that the title and the cover made this a very inviting purchase. So - I want to say this is a return to the days of Black Metal and At War With Satan - its not. I dunno, it has its merits with some good songs and excellent musicianship, it just doesn't stand up next to the latest from Satyricon or Dark Throne or even the latest Judas Priest for that matter. Its worth hearing, but will I be playing it again in 12 months time - Unlikely.

Haunting The Chapel
Haunting The Chapel
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.25

5.0 out of 5 stars More talent than you could ever imagine, 1 April 2006
This review is from: Haunting The Chapel (Audio CD)
Haunting The Chapel, came out on vinyl between their debut, Show No Mercy and their 'breakthrough' LP, Hell Awaits. Show no Mercy had already done enough to prove to me that Slayer, in 1983, were the future of metal music (as they proved in 86 with Reign In Blood). Only three songs here, all featured in their live sets for years. The main track here is Chemical Warfare, the intro guitar was so fast it was beyond human conception for its time. Haunting the Chapel and Captor of Sin are also Slayer classics that should be on your ipod. I remember the Kerrang!review done by guest reviewers, Motley Crue - They burst out laughing and gave it no points - I wonder who laughs now. The three tracks have all appeared on reissues of their Metal Blade LP's and CD's, but if you're a collector you'll need this on vinyl - What am I saying, you've got it already haven't you.

Prophecy [Limited Edition Digipak]
Prophecy [Limited Edition Digipak]
Offered by Hardliner-music
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the classic it sets out to be, 26 Mar 2006
Similar to other reviews of this CD it does kick off in amazing style and for the first four tracks you'll be bouncing around the room just like you did when you first heard Beneath the Remains or Roots. We start to lose the plot with Mars, and then I Believe is way too long. Then, as you knew would happen, we go tribal with the lengthy Moses. Lengthy is the problem, it has a promising start but then loses its way and you can't wait for it to end. With the momentum lost, I felt the same about Soulfly IV and Wings - Whoever said that Wings was a great track wants his head testing - Its painful. These are preceded by a cover of Tools In the meantime. Just not good enough, sorry. I'm fortunate to have a copy of this CD with 5 bonus live tracks - These 5 tracks are worth the extra star and I'd urge you to seek out one of these copies. There's so much promise, but too much tribal filler. Better next time?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2011 4:57 PM BST

Wolverine Blues
Wolverine Blues
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as superb as others would have you believe, 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: Wolverine Blues (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, this is a great CD, but was a disappointment after the amazing Clandestine. It took until 2001 for Entombed to make another perfect CD with Morning Star. If you're new to Entombed I'd start there. For me, Wolverine Blues always had a couple or three tracks that just didn't do anything although it does finish with Out Of Hand, one of their best efforts. Maybe three stars is harsh, its just that I think there are at least 5 Entombed CD's better than this one!

Soul Searching Sun
Soul Searching Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best LOA CD by a mile, 7 Mar 2006
This review is from: Soul Searching Sun (Audio CD)
This was there 3rd LP - Many consider River Runs Red (Their debut) a classic, but I found many of the songs to be without melody. 2nd CD, Ugly was about the same, but did highlight that in there more mellow moments there was a great band struggling to get out. By this CD they've stopped trying to emulate their original hardcore sound. This is more Alice In Chains or even Creed. Its packed with great songs including my all-time favourite - Angry Tree. I have nearly 2000 CD's and this is one of the top 5 - Easy.

Graveyard Classics
Graveyard Classics
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal & Punk makeover, 14 Feb 2006
This review is from: Graveyard Classics (Audio CD)
I'd had the phenomenal cover of Venom's In League With Satan for some time when I wondered where it had come from. Turns out to be the last track on this CD of Death Metal cover versions. Its probably still my favourite track on the CD, but the versions of Smoke On The Water, Sweetleaf, and California Uber Alles are also excellent. Some obscure stuff is given a workout. Holocaust from the 1st Savatage album and Son of a Bitch from the 3rd Accept LP are given a breath of fresh air as is Exodus's Piranha and Scorpions' Blackout. I'm wasting your time - They're all classics. Six Feet Under feature former Cannibal Corpse vocalist Chris Barnes - Unearthly growl. Also, former Death bassist Terry Butler. I hear there's a GC 2 out there too, I'll be getting it soon.

America Must Be Destroyed
America Must Be Destroyed

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as awful as they'd have you believe, 20 July 2005
GWAR - Yeah, they're supposed to be a joke right. Someone out there likes 'em because they've been releasing CD's since 1990 and they're still going strong. I've got their first 5 releases and four of them are worth 3 stars. They've all got the odd killer track like 'Sick of You' on the debut, Scumdogs. This, their 2nd CD has always been a personal fave and I don't care what the music press say. Its a great metal album with great songs, great riffs, and some amusing, if dubious lyrics. It kicks off with 'Ham on the Bone' - Its fast and frenetic and you'll be singing along in no time. Standout track for me is Rock'n'Roll never felt so good. The lyrics are horribly non-pc, but its an infectious ditty that will break the ice at party's - ha ha. "..How do you feel now baby?"

Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk: Remastered
Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk: Remastered
Offered by hip-city
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 18 July 2005
This isn't just the finest Black Metal CD ever made, its one of the finest records ever made by anybody. Emperor's debut was one of those CD's you thought could never be suppassed. But it was, and in spades. The songs, the musicianship, the production. None of the bands subsequent releases ever quite came close to their first two CD's. Simply incredible

About Face [Us Import]
About Face [Us Import]
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 10.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated Classic, 11 July 2005
This review is from: About Face [Us Import] (Audio CD)
I found this to be a much more accessible LP than the 'David Gilmour' solo LP. Yes - It's not Floyd, and Gilmour attempts to express himself with some more mainstream accessible songs. He uses keyboards lke the top pop bands of the era, but merges them with his faultless guitar and the "Floyd" voice. The songs are quite short and punchy, with the opening track, Until We Sleep being my favourite and the delicate ballad, Out Of The Blue coming a close second. Believe me, you'll find this LP surprisingly good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5