Profile for fillyk > Reviews

Content by fillyk

fillyk

Page: 1 | 2
The Puppy Colouring Book (Buster Activity)
The Puppy Colouring Book (Buster Activity)
by Kim Scott
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says!, 14 July 2014
Went down very well with my god-daughter, after she attended my dog's first birthday party!

Herbal Medicines (Barnes, Herbal Medicines)
Herbal Medicines (Barnes, Herbal Medicines)
by Pharmaceutical Press Editorial
Price: 81.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality text book for herbalists, 14 July 2014
I work in complementary therapy for animals, and this is an essential text book. It's easy to use, and nearly always on my desk instead of on the bookshelf as I dip in regularly. Combines traditional uses with up to date scientific information and academic references.

Weddings Can Be Murder
Weddings Can Be Murder
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 14 July 2014
Sorry, I stuck with it for two or three chapters but then had to admit I really couldn't care less about any of these characters. Gave up!

Fractured
Fractured
Price: 1.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and beautiful love story., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. Having just read a far too obvious and cliched chic-lit on holiday, this one came as a breath of fresh air. At it's core is a love story, or really several love stories - paternal love, romantic love, all wrapped up in an intriguing storyline that kept my attention right to the end.
In theme it reminded me of the film 'Sliding Doors' in how it explores how your whole life might change on a split second, but 'Fractured' is definitely it's own unique story.
I liked the central character, Rachel, and thought all the characters to be believable if one or two of them a little two dimensional. I did wonder how the two stories were going to resolve successfully, but I was more than happy with the way Dani worked that.
I would recommend this book and would certainly choose more by this author based on this read.

Confessions
Confessions
Price: 6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars I must confess - I loved it!, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Confessions (Kindle Edition)
Just great - I always enjoy the confessions and this book made me laugh out loud as one of my holiday reads. Fairly obviously, they are all stand alone stories, so would be good to dip into and out of but as I read it straight through and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Good Husband Material
Good Husband Material
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - but it's a long way from Pemberley., 1 July 2014
So we have the strong, independent woman; we have the dark, sexy guy who seems dangerous and unreliable until ....., we have the handsome, popular guy who seems totally suitable and steadfast until ......, the embarrassing mother, the small gossipy community, hell, we even have the stately pile that our hero just happens to own. Sound familiar? We were only missing a gaggle of sisters and lecherous pastor to have the lot. But whereas 'Pride and Prejudice' is certainly one of the greatest romantic novels ever written, I'm afraid 'Good Husband Material' is not. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, and Trisha is not the first and won't be the last to take inspiration from Austen's classic, but it just didn't grab me. In fact my main problem with 'Good Husband Material' is that while P&P starts with a bang, with possibly the best opening line of any chic-lit novel, I found the first half of this book just a little, well, dull. However it did pick up and by the end I was quite happy to romp along with them all to their, entirely predictable, conclusion.The best character, by far, was Granny who could have had a much bigger part for my mind - she was cool!

I wouldn't be entirely put off Trisha's books again based on this one, but I don't know I would rush to buy another either.

If you have enjoyed 'Good Husband Material' but have not read 'Pride & Prejudice' I urge you to do so - you won't be disappointed.

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Price: 2.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Pemberley revisited, 10 Jan 2014
It's ironic that in this third incarnation we find Bridget working as a writer who's 'thing' is re-working old classics, as that is of course what Helen Fielding is doing here again. The only difference being that in Ms Fielding's case it is the same classic that we go back to. So the book starts with Bridget having fun with a charming, albeit ultimately unsuitable suitor, while the cool, aloof stranger looks on from the background seemingly disapproving. Sound familiar? Well, we all know where it will go from here........ right down to who will come through in a crisis, and who happens to own a huge country estate!

Not that I didn't enjoy it. I don't mind predictability in a rom-com, after all they're not meant to be about intrigue and clever plot lines, and you can't but help falling for Bridget all over again. I liked the point of her life it comes in at, straight after the last book wouldn't have had anywhere to go. I also liked where she finds herself in life, a relatively young widow (come on, you all know that!), as I can't see any other way of Mark not being there that would have worked. So we go with Bridget as she comes to terms with that and gets on with life, helped or hindered by the same dappy friends, and we laugh and cry with her along the way.

All in all, if you've always loved Bridget and her big knickers you'll love this - just don't expect too many surprises.

Horseware Ireland Rambo Micklem Comp Bridle FEI Approved
Horseware Ireland Rambo Micklem Comp Bridle FEI Approved
Price: 126.00 - 130.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, but watch the sizing., 21 Oct 2013
I've been interested in the Micklem bridle since it's launch as I really like the concept of the design. My new mare basically schools very well but can just be a bit fussy in her head so I thought it was worth a try. I've only had it a week but so far I'm very pleased. She's schooled, jumped and hacked out in it and definitely seems happier in it. I'm not saying it's a miracle, we still had the occasional head toss, but that was at the end of a reasonably long hack for her. In the school she comes into an outline easily in it, and feels more like she's taking the contact forward than she did in her old bridle. I certainly think there's an improvement, and both my friend hacking out with me and my instructor in my lesson agreed.

Looks wise I like the competition bridle, and have had several people say that it looks smart and suits her - though obviously that wasn't the main reason for purchase! I think it's reasonably priced for what it is and reflects the quality level the leather is at (fine, but not top class). The fact that the reins are included makes the Competition Bridle price competitive against a lot of traditional competition bridles.

I have seen reviews saying the sizing is odd and I would agree with that. My mare is a 16hh warmblood and usually has a full size bridle but fits it easily with room to spare. I got her a Standard Horse Micklem and the length of the head is fine, in fact she could probably go down a size there, but it only just goes round her head. Both back straps are on the first hole to fit her snugly, and I wouldn't call her a particularly chunky warmblood.

On the whole I would definitely recommend it, but just be aware of the sizing particularly if you have a cob or chunky warmblood.

The Misremembered Man
The Misremembered Man
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Provoking and enjoyable, 8 Jun 2013
I can't remember exactly what made me choose this novel, but I certainly didn't get what I thought I was going to. I'm not sure what I expected but this was different, in a good way.

Characters, all with their flaws, who are wholly believable and with whom you can easily empathise - at least with most of them. Gently written, but tackling some difficult topics, abuse, neglect, loneliness, lives lived below expectations.

I enjoyed my passage through the book and there's a nice twist in the tail that resolves matters neatly that I, for one, didn't see coming until quite close to the end.

An excellent first novel and I'd look forward to reading more from this author.

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to get baking!, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I received this book for my birthday, and when a couple of weeks later a snowy day meant we were stuck in the house, it was time to get baking! I tried two of the recipes - Green Olive bread sticks and Stilton & Pecan Twist and both were lovely. We took them down to our friend's for dinner in the evening where they went down very well!
Recipes were clear and concise, and even when I thought the dough was wetter than I would usually make it does work if you stick with it. I love baking and will certainly be getting through some more of these in due course.

Page: 1 | 2