Profile for polilaceous > Reviews

Cat Counsellor: How Your Cat Really Relates To You
Cat Counsellor: How Your Cat Really Relates To You
by Vicky Halls

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 12 Jan. 2013
This was quite fascinating and I found it hard - but not impossible - to believe that there are cat owners with so little idea of what cats need. Hopefully it will at least make people aware of how to improve their relationship with their cats, especially in the multi-cat household.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
by James Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable cat, 12 Jan. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down! I don't think any of my cats would follow me like this and clearly it would be impossible to force Bob to behave in this way. As it is, cat and owner have formed a mutually beneficial partnership and one can only wish them well.

Harry's Mad
Harry's Mad
by Dick King-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry's Mad by Dick King Smith, 16 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Harry's Mad (Paperback)
Although best known for 'The Sheep Pig' which was made into the film 'Babe', Dick King Smith also wrote a number of other animal-focussed books, of which this has to be his best. Harry learns that he is to receive an inheritance from his American great-uncle and is dismayed to discover that he is not to receive vast wealth but an African Grey parrot. Madison, however, is no ordinary parrot: he can play chess, help with homework, swap recipes with Harry's mother... until he is stolen. An amusing and entertaining book, good for reading aloud.

The Snow Kitten (Puffin Books)
The Snow Kitten (Puffin Books)
by Nina Warner Hooke

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snow Kitten, 16 Mar. 2012
Nina Warner Hook's 'The Snow Kitten' is a delightful book, now sadly out of print, which tells the tale of a small stray kitten and the dangers it survives as it searches for food and shelter until it finally melts the heart of an embittered woman on Christmas Eve. I was pleased to find a copy for my granddaughter.

Littlenose the Explorer
Littlenose the Explorer
by John Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars Littlenose the Explorer, 31 Dec. 2011
I read the 'Littlenose' stories to my own children when they were small, and purchased them for my granddaughter and my very young nephew and niece so that they could enjoy them as well. Littlenose is inclined to get things a little bit wrong but generally comes out on top in the end. His woolly mammoth friend Two-Eyes is a likeable companion. Perhaps this is a book to encourage budding prehistorians. They are an entertaining read for reasonably bright three-to-four-year-olds as well as for older children.

Blotto, Twinks and the Ex-King's Daughter
Blotto, Twinks and the Ex-King's Daughter
by Simon Brett

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely amusing read, 6 Sept. 2011
Initially I was somewhat surprised when I began this book but then I realised just how very funny it is. The very thick but incredibly handsome Blotto is proves to be an engaging character while his beautiful and brilliant sister Twinks can do absolutely everything without any effort. The absurd plot parodies the classic detective story and also seems to owe something to adventure stories such as Anthony Hope's 'Prisoner of Zenda'. I was amused by Simon Brett's descriptions: the aristocratic mother of Blotto and Twinks, when unable to participate in her favourite sport of fox-hunting, enjoys patronising foreigners and those below her on the social scale. I found this an extremely amusing and entertaining novel and look forward to further books in this series.

Blotto, Twinks and the Dead Dowager Duchess
Blotto, Twinks and the Dead Dowager Duchess
by Simon Brett

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure entertainment, 6 Sept. 2011
I don't often read books which make me laugh quite as much as this one did. Simon Brett has created a fantasy world here, and I for one am happy to spend a while in it, with the improbably handsome but intellectually disadvantaged Blotto and his equally improbably beautiful but brilliant sister Twinks, whose detective deductions put those of Sherlock Holmes in the shade. Where else could you find somebody holding a balloon outside a railway carriage window all the way from London to Scotland? And Simon Brett's social comments are extremely amusing.

Oh! What a Lovely War: The Special Collector's Edition [DVD] [1969]
Oh! What a Lovely War: The Special Collector's Edition [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Wendy Allnutt

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective film which has worn well, 11 Nov. 2010
The anti-war propaganda film has worn well and remains effective and deeply moving, thanks to the ironic use of the old World War I songs and excellent cameo performances by the whole cast. Maggie Smith deserves a mention. Richard Attenborough's film could now be considered a classic: it is still relevant today and I found it worth watching.

How I Won The War [DVD] [1967]
How I Won The War [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Michael Crawford
Offered by rsdvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Nov. 2010
I enjoyed this film when I first saw it but was disappointed to find that it failed to live up to my recollections. The idea was effective but the execution was flawed: too much Goon-type humour was squeezed in, whereas a simpler adherence to the main anti-war theme would have been considerably more effective.

GUND T-Rex Hand Puppet Soft Toy
GUND T-Rex Hand Puppet Soft Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal gift, 4 Nov. 2010
This is a perfect gift for my dinosaur-mad 5-year-old granddaughter. It is well made, endearingly attractive, and provides endless opportunities for imaginative and creative play. Personally I am delighted with it, and would suggest that it might be difficult to persuade a child to take it off.

Page: 1 | 2