Profile for C Scognamiglio > Reviews

Content by C Scognamiglio

C Scognamiglio "Chris" (United Kindom)

Page: 1 | 2
Ellipse
Ellipse
Price: 5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Imogen does it again., 31 Dec 2010
This review is from: Ellipse (Audio CD)
As with her last album, Imogen Heap has created something truly wonderful here. Her voice is in fine form and her songs really show it off. She has also engaged the skills of various, brilliant musicians, most notably Nitin Sawhney (one of my musical heroes) on the very excellent Canvas, in itself a marvellous mixture of folk, strings and electronica with some lovely piano and haunting vocals. As with any album, not all of these tracks are to my liking, but most of them are and stand out for me are the aforementioned Canvas, First Train Home (the opening track), Little Bird and Bad Body Double, a song about not recognising yourself in the mirror anymore (something I can relate to even as a man!). All in all, if you like female fronted electronica, you could do little better than to buy this and indeed most of Imogen's work.

Adapter USB to Midi In-Out
Adapter USB to Midi In-Out
Offered by LTZmart
Price: 2.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little USB gadget, 15 July 2010
Does just what it should, with one MIDI in and one out going to a little box with LEDs to indicate when it gets a signal and when it's getting power (which it gets from the buss), this little thing has plenty of cable should you need to run it round a bedroom or project studio but is fairly compact and rugged enough to take out to gigs. If you've got an older controller keyboard that you want to attach via USB or even an old midi keyboard that you want to run from your laptop, this is definitely a viable option.

A Concise History of Italy (Cambridge Concise Histories)
A Concise History of Italy (Cambridge Concise Histories)
by Christopher Duggan
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb introduction, 1 Jun 2010
If you're taking modern history or are just interested in Italy's past, you can't go wrong with this book. Whilst the history spanning from Roman times to the unification is less in depth as there are, afterall, numerous books already on renaissance Italy, it is concisely laid out and not lacking in essential detail. The period from the unification up to the early 90s is very in depth, including the fascist years and the war years and explains a great deal both about the political and the social state of the country then and now.
I bought this becasue I knew little of the history of Italy and given that I am half Italian thought I should fill in the gaps in my knowledge, but I think this book would be perfect for anyone who is interested in Italy, or who is doing modern history and wants to understand where the italians fit into it in more depth.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Slinky and toned, 1 Jun 2010
I have always used Ernie Balls, from my teens when I learnt to play (using the pink packaged Super Slinky strings) to my more recent role as a covers band player. I can highly recomend then as they are lovely to the touch and have fine tone. I've tried D'addario and Fender own brand too and still come back to the Ernies!

Art of Motion
Art of Motion
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magical Mr. McKee, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Art of Motion (Audio CD)
I, like many, discovered Andy McKee on YouTube, which has been his weapon of choice (as with all Candyrat Records artists) for getting himself known, but I really wanted to buy at least one of his albums for all the most obvious reasons (to support him, I can't take YouTube in the car etc.) and I'm really glad I have. This is one of the most relaxing and uplifting albums I've heard in a whole and has been in the car pretty much since I got it. Whilst Andy McKee isn't necessarily the first guitarist to do two handed tapping, or to use the body of his guitar as a percussion instrument, he is one of the most accomplished and writes some truly lovely pieces. If you've heard Drifting or The Keys To The Hovercar on YouTube and liked them, I urge you to by this album (or his other album, or both as I will eventually do!) if only to support this "indie" section of the music industry and to spread the calm.

Astronauts and Heretics
Astronauts and Heretics

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love Dolby, Goodbye, 11 Sep 2009
This review is from: Astronauts and Heretics (Audio CD)
I'm not so sure about Eastern Bloc. Do we really need a rehash/sequel to Europa? Other than that, this is Dolby in contemplation and it has some real gems on it such as the Cajun fiddle tinged I Love You, Goodbye or Silk Pyjamas, the soft melancholy of Cruel or the fantastic Close But No Cigar with Eddie Van Halen on guitar duty. Some may say that this isn't his best work, and it might not be, but it still stands up as far as I'm concerned.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
by Alan Moore
Price: 10.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Why no film version of this?!, 11 Sep 2009
The second LOEG is set almost immediately after the first one, but is perhaps already even grittier. It takes as it's premise the plot from War Of The Worlds by HG Wells (not the Tom Cruise stamped "update"), most likely as this is one of the best known sci-fi stories of the late 19th century. The team are called upon to fight the martian invaders, but there is a traitor in their midst. He gets his come-uppance though (and how!) and the LOEG triumph in the end, although I can't help feeling that there could have been more stories placed between this and Century, which is set in 1910, on the whole, I liked this, but not as much as the first one, although, without giving the plot away, we see more of Hyde and less of Nimo in this adventure.

Open All Hours - Series One [1976] [DVD]
Open All Hours - Series One [1976] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ronnie Barker
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 4.46

4.0 out of 5 stars A slab of nostalgia., 9 Mar 2009
It is truly astounding how things have changed since 1976. Watching this really does show how much too, although - as was pointed out to me - things in the south of England were perhaps already much more as they are today. However, once upon a time life in the UK was much like this (although perhaps less comical!). It's a shame that the extras are so slim here, but the original pilot is interesting to see and the episodes themselves are very funny. A real slice of nostalgia, especially at a time when there is a call to go back to older ways of doing things.

Thomas tracks backpack
Thomas tracks backpack

4.0 out of 5 stars I got this as a present., 29 Jan 2009
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Thomas tracks backpack (Toy)
THis was bought as a present for my 2 year old nephew, so apart from saying that it got to me in good time and in a perfect condition, I'm not really the one who should be reviewing it!

Fletch/Fletch Lives [DVD]
Fletch/Fletch Lives [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chevy Chase

4.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to Fletch?, 22 Oct 2007
This review is from: Fletch/Fletch Lives [DVD] (DVD)
I loved Fletch, from the moment I saw the first film I thought that this was a great film, and even the second one rated highly in my mind. Perhaps it is a touch of 80's nostalgia (apparently a rather typically UK thing) but I always thought these films weren't as loved as some commedians vehicles to stardom (Eddie Murphy for example). I was so happy to see that I could get these two films together, it's just a shame that there weren't any extras, not even a trailer!

Page: 1 | 2