Profile for Richard Allen > Reviews

Content by Richard Allen
Top Reviewer Ranking: 610
Helpful Votes: 2087

Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fraser Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying and Unconvincing, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Field Punishment No.1 [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having watched this film with quite high expectations, I have fair number of issues. Firstly, as a piece of filmmaking, it's pretty average; the characters are thinly drawn stereotypes, the dialogue is clunky, the acting is wooden and so many of the scenes are predictable. However, I was very surprised there was no back story given for the objectors, so we had no understanding of why they were prepared to take this stand. This meant I had little empathy for their plight. I was also troubled by the fact that this was presented as "Based on True Events". To what extent? How much is factual and how much interpretation/dramatisation? I had expected to find some extras on the DVD that would provide some historical detail, but there were none.

All in all, then, a very unsatisfying film at a number of levels. That's a great shame as this film was presented as in some way marking the centenary of Anzac day. There are some great and moving films to be made of the First World War, and this was an opportunity squandered.

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB SDHC UHS-I Memory Card
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB SDHC UHS-I Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 24 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ever since the days of floppy disks I've tended to buy SanDisk media. Whilst there are dozens of brands to choose from, with a product that is relatively cheap but important, I think it pays to pay a little more. And SanDisk has never let me down, which is why I shall stick with it. I've used this 32GB car in my Fujifilm camera, and it has worked faultlessly. Formatted in seconds, the transfer rates from card to PC are considerably faster than the rates I got from the smaller card it replaced. You simply can't go wrong with this card.

Alan Partridge - Mid-Morning Matters [DVD]
Alan Partridge - Mid-Morning Matters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Comedy Character, 21 Mar. 2015
I wasn't a huge fan of "Knowing Me, Knowing You", but thought the two series of "I'm Alan Partridge" that followed were excellent. It was the lack of self awareness and the sadness of the man that made the series both funny and quite touching. Mid-Morning Matters follows in a similar vein. His fall from grace continues, reduced now to a digital radio station. The character is the same; gauche and vulnerable. Some of it is toe-curlingly awful at times, but it never goes too far, and you always retain the element of sympathy for the character. Alan Partridge remains a superb comedy character and I do hope he manages to find further employment. Perhaps it's time someone gave him a break?

Philips SatinPerfect HP6583/03 Wet and Dry Epilator with Skin Tautening Attachment - Shaver Head, Sensitive Cap and Tweezers

4.0 out of 5 stars A Perfectly Good Epilator, 21 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My other half has used a number of epilators and is a fan of the Braun devices. This Philips device is of a similar quality, but also offers its unique skin tautening attachment. Whilst the theory sounds fine, I'm advised that there is little noticeable effect. The experience is very similar to the Braun range. However, this is a very nice set, with useful attachments and comes with an excellent pair of tweezers. Overall it's a perfectly good epilator, but not really that different from the competition.

Look KEO Blade 2 Carbon Pedal
Look KEO Blade 2 Carbon Pedal
Price: £96.24 - £229.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Good (but with a couple of quibbles), 15 Mar. 2015
I've used Look clipless pedals for 25 years. I thought I'd buy these for my latest upgrade. I mulled over whether to go for the 12s or 16s, and eventually went for 12. I'm very glad I did. Be aware that they are very tight, much more so than my earlier set of cro mo Looks at a mid tension setting. The other thing to be aware of is that they don't hang loose, so clipping in is slightly more complicated as you need to check what position they are in. Otherwise they are fine; very light, clip in well and very secure.

Bakers Dentacrunch Beef & Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food, 1 kg, Pack of 4
Bakers Dentacrunch Beef & Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food, 1 kg, Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Dog's Favourite, 15 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have an elderly, small collie. As she got older and less enthusiastic about her food, she also became a little more picky? We tried various brands, and eventually settled on Bakers Dentacrunch. She eats this very happily and we have the reassurance of the brand that it is good quality and has all the nutrition that she needs. At 15 she's active and happy and I'm sure a good diet plays at large part in that.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extras
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extras

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality and Value, 13 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This epilator comes with the bonus that it also includes a facial cleansing brush. Both products are of typical Braun quality. The epilator has a wider head than would be found on most comparable models. It is smooth and effective in use, and can be used in the shower/bath, which many find to be a less painful process. The cleansing brush is a separate unit and is a very useful companion to the epilator, making this an ideal gift set. Without being coarse or unpleasant to use, it makes your skin feel fresh and invigorated. Overall that is a quality set that is good value.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

4.0 out of 5 stars Supplements - A Personal Decision, 6 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll first declare that I'm not really a supplements person. I'm a little sceptical of the vast industry that has developed around this business. There are a huge number of snake oil salesmen involved, and the regular headlines in the Express and Mail simply feed many of these claims with a bogus and unproven credibility. I'm of the camp that a well balanced diet is all you need. However, I'm also aware that many people don't have a well balanced diet and might benefit for some additional vitamins. I'm sure that my diet isn't perfect, but whether I truly need anything to be found in these supplements is an unknown to me.

So to this product in particular. Is wheatgrass a miracle product? There's no scientific evidence presented with the packaging, so I doubt it. But I am prepared to take its contents at face value, and there's a fair amount of my RDI for a number of vitamins and minerals. It doesn't taste too bad, until you get to the sludgy bit at the bottom. And that's about as much as I can say for it. Do I feel any better for it? Not that I can discern. If you feel your diet is deficient and in need of the contents of this product, then there are probably worse and more expensive ways to get them in your system. But I also suspect, as a recent BBC documentary made clear, that for most people, most of what's in here will simply pass through.

Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery
Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed Your Recovery, 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a cyclist and specialise in endurance riding. The supplements industry does well out of cycling and other endurance sports; with gels, energy bars, hydration tablets and recovery drinks. If you let them, they can turn a bike ride into a very expensive day out. I suspect that in many cases the benefits are marginal, and in others you can produce your own products at a fraction of the cost (homemade flapjacks are a lot cheaper than energy bars, and taste much better). However, I think a good recovery drink is justified, and costs little more than a single gel. After a longer ride I often don't have much of an appetite when I first stop, and I understand it's in that first thirty minutes of rest that your body can best metabolise nutrition. A recovery drink is quick to make and consume. I wouldn't say that any of them taste great. I prefer neutral or vanilla flavours, but the SIS chocolate is no better or worse than its competitors. You'll need a shaker bottle to best prepare the drink (Wiggle's one is excellent value and quality). Take the drink as soon as you can after completing your exercise, and your muscles will start to recover quickly to prepare you for the next session.

In my experience all SIS products are as good as any of the competition. The price here is very competitive, so I would recommend this to anyone who takes their exercise seriously.

Frost On My Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer
Frost On My Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer
by Tim Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally Funny and Interesting, 23 Feb. 2015
I first read French Revolutions for it's cycling context, and thoroughly enjoyed Tim Moore's insights and self deprecating style. I've now read most of his books, and would say this is probably his best. It works both as a fascinating travelogue full of interesting historical fact, but also as a very entertaining and funny account of a proper adventure. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20