Profile for Rich > Reviews

Content by Rich
Top Reviewer Ranking: 789

Rich (Wellington, Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
MaxiNutrition Progain Mass and Size Protein Shake Powder 1.5 kg - Strawberry
MaxiNutrition Progain Mass and Size Protein Shake Powder 1.5 kg - Strawberry

5.0 out of 5 stars A Specifically Formulated Quality Product, 29 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst this product is undoubtedly aimed at those trying to increase muscle mass through gym work, I was happy to use it in support of my interest in endurance cycling. Unlike many, I have an frequent problem with being underweight and struggle to consume sufficient calories to maintain the right balance of muscle to weight. As I'm a regular user of recovery drinks and protein shakes, it's difficult to be able to make unreasonable claims for the effectiveness of this particular product. It's clearly a quality brand specifically formulated for a particular purpose, so there's no reason not to take the claimed benefits seriously. The most common source of comment on these products is taste and consistency. Having tried this brand's chocolate formulation before, I would say that the strawberry flavour is definitely preferable. And I would specifically caution against over diluting the product as I find they taste worse and more chemically that way. With a good shake, I didn't detect any lumps. It was thin and easy to consume. I had no issues afterward with stomach upsets.

My only other comment relates to the value. Despite its size, this tub only contains 12 servings. With a recommendation that you take two servings on days that you train, it could become an expensive process.

Why the World Does Not Exist
Why the World Does Not Exist
by Markus Gabriel

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Beyond Me, 29 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, I tried, I really did. As someone who knew (and still knows!) very little about philosophy, I was keen to learn more. But I found it all a bit hard work. Perhaps my brain isn't big enough? Or perhaps it's just not wired to think in this way? Or perhaps this isn't the best place to start for a beginner?

Right from the start I tried my best to make sense of it all, and diligently read back over sections that I felt I hadn't properly taken on board. After a while that all became hard work, and I just ploughed on, hoping it would all come to light. Occasionally it did, and there were some revelatory moments. Where the author provided real life examples of the concepts, I could often grasp what he was saying. But it was all a bit of a slog to get to the end, and I'm afraid I'd struggle to properly explain what I should have learnt from it all.

I sure it's mostly me, so I shan't be too hard on the author. That said, he did come across as more than a little arrogant to me; very dismissive of those who had reached different conclusions to him and I'm pretty sure he described neo-atheists as "simple-minded". I guess that means me, but I'll try not to take it to heart.

Logitech MX Anywhere 2 - Mobile Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Logitech MX Anywhere 2 - Mobile Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fully Featured Mouse, 24 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a number of years I've been using a Microsoft optical mouse with my Windows 7 Dell desktop. The mouse has no features other than the left and right buttons and the scroll wheel. If nothing else, the lead is a pain, so a wireless mouse was an attractive option.

Out of the box, the Logitech mouse feels lovely. It has a bit of weight to it, and is nicely sculpted. My hands are of a "medium" size. I'd say the mouse is tending toward the small size, so possibly not best suited to people with large hands. As ever these days, there are no instructions and you're directed to the Logitech website. Once there, setup is simple. I don't have Bluetooth, so used the proprietary receiver. Switch the mouse on, select a channel (it defaults to device one of the three device it can control) and it pairs up almost immediately. The device is already charged, so there is no wait to get started with it.

As a "basic" mouse, it feels really good. Scrolling is smooth and direct. I like the fact that you can switch between a "click" scroll wheel and "smooth". Smooth quickly became my new preference. There are buttons on the side that enable you to move forward and back on web pages. They are located a little far back for my thumb than I'd prefer, so perhaps another reason why this mouse won't be ideal for large hands. I particularly like the fact that you can navigate a page left to right by pressing the wheel in the required direction. There's also a gesture button that allows you to navigate the desktop. The downloadable Logictech software allows access to the normal configurable options such as scroll speed. The device should last two months between charges and can be charged using the supplied USB cable.

Overall this is a lovely mouse with a lot of features that I've found to be intuitive and have immediately adopted. I can honestly say that it has made a significant improvement to my user experience.

Philips Avent Classic+ Feeding Bottle SCF560/27 (125ml/4oz) x 2
Philips Avent Classic+ Feeding Bottle SCF560/27 (125ml/4oz) x 2
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good As It Gets, 24 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great design. Great quality. Great brand reputation. There's really nothing not to like. It's unlikely there's a better bottle on the market.

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
by Yuval Noah Harari

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Readable and Stimulating, 22 July 2015
I appreciate this book isn't for everyone (certainly not for the Creationists and believers in Intelligent Design), but I found it to be well written, thought provoking and illuminating. In the early chapters on pre-history, the word "probably" appears a little more often than I would prefer, but I think this sets the tone of the book. It's not so much a statement of fact and undeniable conclusions. Rather it is the opinions that the author has formed from the available evidence and conjecture. There's enough information here to help you form your own conclusions, and they may not always be those that the author has reached. I found this to be a stimulating a provocative read.

1 Pack Latest 10LED 180Lumen Solar Motion Lights; Super Bright Waterproof Wireless Solar Wall Lights Garden lights Motion Lights Outside Lights Security Lights for Garden, Patio, Shed, Courtyard
Offered by GRDESUPPLY

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and Powerful, 22 July 2015
When this product first arrived I was a little taken aback by how small the box was. I do think some of the images on the Amazon page make it look a little larger than it is, but the dimensions are as advertised. The small size set my expectations a little low, and I was reminded of those underwhelming solar powered garden lights that were all the rage a few years ago.

However, I unpacked it and left it outside to charge for a few hours and when dusk arrived I wandered out to see if it would work. And does it! I was really taken aback at the intensity of the LEDs. They are nothing like those garden lights, in fact you really wouldn't want to look at them directly, they are so intense.

So now being favourably impressed, I could properly appreciate the product and consider its capabilities. Whilst the LEDs are strong, the range of the light is limited. You certainly can't compare it with a 500w halogen light, but then that's hardly a fair comparison. But where it really scores is in lighting up a doorway, perhaps helping you find your keys and enter after dark. This image shown of one either side of a doorway is exactly how I think they would be best deployed.

In summary then this product has definitely exceeded my expectations and is very well suited to certain applications.

Note: I acquired this item at no charge on the basis of providing an objective review.

MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 765 g - Chocolate
MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 765 g - Chocolate

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective (but perhaps not such a great taste), 21 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using protein shakes for about six months now and am convinced they make a difference. My interest is in endurance cycling, and I've appreciably improved my stamina and capacity with the aid of recovery and whey protein shakes. Up until now I've used SIS products, and after some experimentation have decided that the Strawberry flavours are the most palatable (or least unpleasant). Having now used the MaxiNutition equivalent, it would be stretching things a little to say I've noticed any significant difference. They are intended to do much the same thing, and the benefits feel the same to me. I think you'd have to get into a laboratory to say that one forumulation is better than another. Which really only leaves the issues of taste and consistency. Well it's not particularly thick, though it needs a thorough shake to get rid of the lumps. On taste, I note all the one star reviews complaining that the new formula is not a good taste. I'd concur that it's not great, and I certainly wouldn't buy the chocolate again (perhaps other flavours are better). Not undrinkable so long as you don't want to savour the taste, but still not massively different from the competition.

So five stars for the effect, three stars for the taste, giving four stars overall.

Oral-B Pro Vitality Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B Pro Vitality Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Toothbrush, 19 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oral-B do a wide range of brushes; from the basic, simple brush with no frills (as we have here), to a fully teched-up device costing upwards of ten times as much. And of course they all do pretty much the same thing. This brush is about as basic as they get. Other than the brushing function, there's a two minute timer and that's it. In terms of value, you can get one for about half this price from a discount supermarket, but from experience they don't last long and the heads are a non-standard size and difficult to acquire. The only notable issue with this unit for me is the limited battery life and lack of an LED to indicate whether it is charged. In practice it's not a huge issue; you just wait until it starts to run low and then leave it on charge for the day/night. By choice I'd spend a little more and get one with an LED and a faster charge/battery life. But if this is as far as your budget will stretch, it's still a very good buy.

I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan
I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan
by Alan Partridge

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Fans, 14 July 2015
For me, Alan Partridge matured as a creation when he arrived at the Travel Tavern. The character become more nuanced; tragic and sad, as well as gauche and self obsessed. This book tells his story in his own words, taking in all of the highs and lows of his radio and TV career. And it's very funny. It reads as though he is narrating it himself. Full of reflections on himself, the characters he has met and the world in general. It's clearly one for the fan, and if that's you, then you won't be disappointed.

Philips Avent Classic+ Newborn Starter Set SCD371/00
Philips Avent Classic+ Newborn Starter Set SCD371/00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal For New Parents, 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips Avent range is very popular for its quality and value. This starter set is an ideal purchase (or present) for a new parent. There are four bottles in two sizes, a cleaning brush and a dummy. The bottles feature an anti-colic design, which is a further appeal of this set. With the discount that Amazon is currently featuring on this product, you really can't go wrong.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20