Profile for Richard Allen > Reviews

Content by Richard Allen
Top Reviewer Ranking: 464
Helpful Votes: 1985

Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jeff Daniels

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 23 Nov 2014
I hadn't watched the West Wing, but knew of its reputation, and having read the reviews here, my expectations were high. The premise was promising (a fictional newsroom drama based upon real events), and after the first ten minutes of episode one, I was even more convinced. But then it all went dramatically downhill. I appreciate I haven't worked in a newsroom or in the US, but I've worked in a lot of offices and no-one behaves like the characters here. I realise they are exaggerated for dramatic effect, but there are limits. There isn't a single believable character, in fact everyone is a charicature, especially the two female leads. The dialogue is overwritten and completely unconvincing. The overacting is bordering on the embarrassing. It would all be fine if we weren't expected to take this seriously, but do the writers expect us to believe that people behave like this? Clearly the series has a lot of fans judging from these reviews, so I realise this won't be a popular review, and it is well made in terms of production, but it really didn't work for me.

Hunderby [DVD]
Hunderby [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Very Funny, 23 Nov 2014
This review is from: Hunderby [DVD] (DVD)
Having come to Nighty Night very late and found Julia Davis' writing and acting to be very funny, I was pleased to find some later work. Whilst not as overtly outrageous or laugh-out-loud funny as Nighty Night, this is a more subtle and darker piece. The characters are all brilliantly drawn and the writing is very clever. At 22 minutes per episode, I did feel the story was a little disjointed in places, almost as though it had been cut to fit the time available. Watching the deleted scenes, many of these really should have been included to make more sense of the work. But that said, it's a thoroughly enjoyable series and I just hope that Julia Davis will be commissioned to do more work as for me, she's one of our most talented and funniest actors/writers.

Nul Points
Nul Points
by Tim Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: Nul Points (Paperback)
Another funny and entertaining book by Tim Moore. Even if the subject matter isn't necessarily appealing to you, Tim finds stories behind most of those humiliated at Eurovision that are well worth telling. As with all his books that focus on people, there is always a great deal of affection in his accounts and you never feel that he is laughing or poking fun at anyone. The book is also helped by the fact that all the performances are available on youtube.

Great Britain's Great War
Great Britain's Great War
by Jeremy Paxman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Nov 2014
Having just finished this book, it has made me a great deal more cognisant of the purpose and meaning of our recent Remberance Day events. Paxman is a very good writer, telling not just the story of the war and Britain's involvement, but providing a real insight into the impact it had on Britain and its people. Whilst at such a distance it's difficult to comprehend how people of the time dealt with such events, the book does help make sense of how they could live through such experiences and accepted the sacrifices as their "duty". The book left me regretting that I didn't talk more with my grandparents to hear the first hand accounts of their experiences.

Mitre IC Tungsten Shinguards - Blue/Yellow - M
Mitre IC Tungsten Shinguards - Blue/Yellow - M

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product and Good Value, 15 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brand is important when you're a young footballer, and Mitre is one of the best. The fit is very good, comfortable to wear and they don't slip or move once fitted. By all accounts they are very effective, protecting against knocks and no chafing. At this price they are a very good buy and I don't think you can do any better.

Kipling Women's Lowie Purse K15439B15 Black Animal Bg
Kipling Women's Lowie Purse K15439B15 Black Animal Bg

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Underwhelming (in black, at least), 13 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In terms of function, this is a very nice purse. The size is ideal for a smartphone, with internal pockets for cards and cash. And it seems well enough made, is soft and light to carry. Where it is lacking is in terms of design and impact. It is very plain, with little in the way of design features. Judging from the page, the product in colours other than black look to have more of an impact. The chunky zip seems a little incongruous on such a small bag, and wouldn't look out of place on your anorak. In black, I'm afraid it's unlikely to get too many admiring comments at the Christmas party.

Rapid F30 Flat Clinch Stapler Half Strip ABS 26/6 Throat 55mm Black Ref 23256500

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Quality, 12 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can only concur with all the other positive reviews here. This is a well constructed, very effective stapler. Solid, without being too weighty. It fits nicely in the palm of the hand, so can be used on the desk or in the hand. I would add that my partner has limited hand strength, but is able to use the stapler with ease, so it should suit anyone looking for a good quality stapler.

Pinzon Everyday 100% Cotton Fitted Sheet, Lilac, Double 135 x 190 x 38 cm
Pinzon Everyday 100% Cotton Fitted Sheet, Lilac, Double 135 x 190 x 38 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Quality. Reasonable Value., 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've previously purchased Amazon's Pinzon Ultrasoft fitted sheets. The Everyday range seems to be the lower spec version, with a thread count of 180 compared to the 300 of the Ultrasoft range. Without that comparison, I'd have been perfectly happy with this sheet; it has a nice soft feel and fits well to the bed. However, it's worth comparing the two as at the moment the Ultrasoft sheet is discounted to make it cheaper than this product. This is a perfectly good sheet at a fair price, but it's worth comparing with the rest of the Pinzon range before purchasing.

Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
by Barbara Demick

4.0 out of 5 stars An Educational Insight, 8 Nov 2014
Having already read a couple of the more academic books on North Korea, I was hoping this would give me an insight into the lives of real people. In this it largely succeeds. The author has interviewed a number of defectors and through their testimony has produced a compelling and believable account of their lives. My only criticism is the way in which the accounts have been embellished to produce a more complete narrative, almost as though these were fictionalised accounts. As the author is a journalist, I'd have been content with a more straighforward telling of their stories.

You Are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Through Unloved Britain
You Are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Through Unloved Britain
by Tim Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very Funny, 8 Nov 2014
I've read quite a few Tim Moore books now, and this is one of his best. The subject matter is ideal for his wry, often affectionate, observations and his exploration of the history and culture of places. I appreciate some may find his tone condescending, particularly if he's poking fun at your home town. However, as someone who was born and brought up close to Methil, I can only agree with his observations in that particular case, and I wasn't offended at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20