Profile for Richard Allen > Reviews

Content by Richard Allen
Top Reviewer Ranking: 556
Helpful Votes: 2031

Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter, Peach Parfait 2.55 g
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter, Peach Parfait 2.55 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and Soothing, 28 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like many, my partner suffers with dry lips at this time of year, so the idea of a combined lip balm and lipstick is ideal. The colour is attractive and relatively subdued. It is easy to apply and the balming effect lasts perhaps a couple of hours before it needs to be re-applied.

Her [DVD]
Her [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joaquin Phoenix

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept. Over Extended Film., 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Her [DVD] (DVD)
I came to this film after listening to an enthusiastic review on 5 Live. The central premise is very interesting and at it's best the film was quite thought provoking. It is well made and acted, and the realisation of near future world was very believeable. My main issue was that this concept, and the main actors, had to carry this story for two hours. I'm afraid I simply found myself getting bored. If they had cut some of the sub plots, then this might have made a very decent 90 minute film, but at two hours it was stretched way too far.

Incidentally, it crossed my mind that the OS1 operating system was some tounge-in-cheek reference to IBM's ill-fated OS2 operating system. I certainly don't recall falling in love with my PS2.

Flick Spot-on Flea Treatment
Flick Spot-on Flea Treatment

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Brand Treatment, 20 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We live in the country. Whilst we rarely suffer with fleas (only if a visiting dog brings them in), we're plagued with ticks in the Summer. We normally use Spot-on, which whilst not 100%, does provide a degree of protection. This Flick product uses the same active ingredient and method, so we can reasonably expect it to be similarly effective. However, until the tick season starts, it's not possible to be sure if this product will be more or less effective. As this review has to be posted within 30 days of receipt, a 4 star review seems fair in terms of our expectations of the product. I shall provide an update later in the year.

Bahco  23-30 Raker Tooth Hp Bowsaw Blade 30In
Bahco 23-30 Raker Tooth Hp Bowsaw Blade 30In

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent For Green Wood, 20 Jan. 2015
After years of use, my original blade finally snapped. I selected this one as it is specifically designed for cutting green wood, and it makes a huge difference compared to the original, multi-purpose blade supplied with the saw. It's a very sharp (as you'd expect), has little flex and rips through green wood in no time. With hindsight I ought to have replaced the blade a lot earlier, and saved myself a lot of effort.

Ways of Looking: How to Experience Contemporary Art (Elephant Books)
Ways of Looking: How to Experience Contemporary Art (Elephant Books)
by Ossian Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Admirable (but a little heavy going), 3 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm as far from an expert on this subject as you can imagine, but I'm always intrigued by contemporary art, even if I have little clue what it's all about. The intentions of this book are admirable, but I'll have to admit it was heavier going than I expected. The author is clearly an expert in his field, and by taking us through the aspects of various works he tries to give us an insight into what is going on. In this he partly succeeds, at least for me, though I'm starting from a very low base. At the end of the book I was left reflecting that, as with so many things in life, even getting to a basic level of expertise takes time and application. If the objective of the book appeals to you, then by all means give it a go and you might find it to be the introduction you hoped for. However it takes take a bit of work, so be prepared to apply yourself.

High Quality Mens Leather Wallet in Medium Grain Brown Leather with Gloss Finish by Kenneth Brownne
Offered by Biggest Little Shop Online Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Quality Wallet, 29 Dec. 2014
I still use the wallet that I was given as an 18th birthday present (35 years ago!), so was keen to buy one for my nephew that would last him equally long. There were many wallets on Amazon for half the price of this item, but I've no doubt this is one area where you get what you pay for. With positive reviews and images that suggested a quality item, I eventually chose this one. Having received it, I'm pleased to report that it is a very nice product; a soft quality leather, well stitched and with all the necessary compartments. If you're looking for a good quality wallet, then I'd happily recommend this one.

Kenley Silicone Gel Cushion for Car Seat Office Chair - with Foam Side Pads
Kenley Silicone Gel Cushion for Car Seat Office Chair - with Foam Side Pads
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfy (but perhaps a little "cool" for some), 16 Dec. 2014
The padding on our office chair in the study has long been worn flat by endless hours of Internet surfing, I had been using a sofa cushion to make life more comfortable, but something more specialised made a lot of sense. The cushion is intended both for office chairs and car seats. It has a smooth, nice quality fabric cover that can be removed for washing. The sides of the cushion are foam with a large gel pad in the centre that supports your buttocks. The centre of the cover is a mesh, I imagine to improve cooling and airflow. There are no fittings to attach the cushion to the chair, just a carry handle.

The effect of the cushion is exactly as I would have wished. It is an ideal size for the office chair. Although it has no fittings, it is weighty enough to hold in place without moving, even if I shuffle about to adjust my position. The main requirement is comfort, and the gel cushioning is ideal for this purpose. My only negative comment (and it's a minor issue), is that the gel is quite cool, noticeably so. That doesn't trouble me, and I suspect that in the warmer months it will be a real bonus. However, for some this may be an issue.

Overall though, this is a very nice cushion that entirely fulfills its purpose. My hours of aimless Internet surfing will now be a much more comfortable experience. In fact this may well have saved me the expense of a new office chair.

Note: I acquired this item at no charge on the basis of providing an objective review.

Knife Reflex Preparation   12.7cm (5")
Knife Reflex Preparation 12.7cm (5")
Offered by Mobility Choices

4.0 out of 5 stars Not The Answer To Our Needs, 16 Dec. 2014
My partner has rheumatoid arthritis and finds it difficult to get downward pressure with a knife. That can make cutting thick vegetables very difficult. We thought this might help, allowing for more of a sawing action and using the arm more than the wrist. Unfortunately it has made no difference; the action of the hand is much the same and cutting is just as difficult. It is well enough made and works well as a basic serrated knife. However, if you are looking at this as you have similar circumstances to ourselves, it may not be the answer you are hoping for.

RSPCA Burgess Guinea Nuggets, 2 Kg
RSPCA Burgess Guinea Nuggets, 2 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Guinea Pig Says "Yes", 13 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's hard to provide a very thorough review when you're relying on a Guinea Pig for feedback. Apart from his usual squeaks, the only guidance he has provided was to eat this as enthusiastically as he always does with his regular pet shop brand. As a pellet based food, you at least have the assurance that he can't just pick out the bits that he likes. And with the RSPCA brand, you can be assured that the quality will be good.

Always Discreet Large Incontinence Pants - Pack of 80
Always Discreet Large Incontinence Pants - Pack of 80

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and Discreet, 11 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I acquired these for an elderly relative who has incontinence issues. She tells me that they are very comfortable to wear, and can be worn with most clothing. Designed for people with minor bladder control issues, they are extremely absorbent and effective. Bought in bulk from Amazon, they are also more cost effective than on the high street.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20