Profile for Richard Allen > Reviews

Content by Richard Allen
Top Reviewer Ranking: 696

Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
This is Jinsy [DVD]
This is Jinsy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Bran

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Inventive and Surreal, 23 May 2015
This review is from: This is Jinsy [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not sure quite how I came to this, but I thought it was worth a go. After the first episode, I really wasn't sure. But I persevered, and I'm glad I did. Hard to categorise, it reminds me of Reeves and Mortimer when they were funny and Spike Milligan as well. It's very inventive and clever, if not necessarily laugh-out-loud funny (though there are some brilliant visual gags). The two creators/writers/actors are very talented and have come up with something very unusual. The sets and filming also add much the the surreal nature of the production. With many good character actors and special guests, there's something in every episode to make it stand out. Alice Lowe as Soosan Noop is especially good. And whereas I normally find the musical numbers in comedy a bit of a time filler, here they really add to the show,

Certainly not for everyone, as the one star reviews make clear, but if you like things to be a bit wacky and challenging, then give this a go,

Science in Sport 1 kg Strawberry Whey Protein Powder
Science in Sport 1 kg Strawberry Whey Protein Powder

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective But Perhaps An Acquired Taste, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a cyclist. Twenty years ago I didn't pay much attention to nutrition and hydration, but now that I'm well into my fifties, I recognise I need to take what steps I can to counteract the effects of aging on my performance.

I've used gels and isotonic drinks for some time now. Recently I tried the SIS recovery drinks and I'm now converted to those; taken after a long ride, I'm sure I feel the benefit on the following day. This protein mix can also be used as a recovery drink, or at any time as a protein supplement. Having given it a go, alongside all the other products I'm now using, it's perhaps difficult to single out the benefit this might bring. I suspect it's marginal, but I accept that the science is there.

My issue, and hence the four stars, is the taste. The SIS strawberry recovery drink is quite palatable and I expected much the same of this product. However I find it quite unpleasant. It is quite sweet, but also thin, and the strawberry element doesn't really mask the taste of whatever else is in there. So having tried a product of this type, I'm happy to incorporate it into my regime, but I shall try out some other manufacturers' products to see if I can find something more to my taste.

Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Operator, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, I enjoy ironing. It might be different if we were a large household, but there being just two of us, I find that hour spent ironing on a Sunday morning is a relaxing and rewarding experience. Turning that pile of crumpled clothes into a neat collection of carefully pressed linen is one of my life's simple pleasures.

I've tried quite a few irons, and I can honestly say that the Philips Azur range is the best of the lot. And their mid priced models (such as this) represent excellent value for money and great quality. Well weighted without being heavy, all the steam you could want, a pointed nose for those delicate sections, and so, so smooth. This iron really is a pleasure to use. Unless you have a large family and can justify a steam generator iron, then I really don't think you can do any better than this model.

The Happiness of the Katakuris [Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD]
The Happiness of the Katakuris [Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD]
Dvd ~ Kenji Sawada

4.0 out of 5 stars Not As Outrageous As I Hoped, 17 May 2015
I'm not sure how I came across this film, but I was looking forward to something outrageous, funny and shocking. And it's all those things, but not to the extent I'd hoped. The first few minutes are excellent, with some stop frame animation that put me in mind of Jan Svankmajer's work. The film is as whacky as the description suggests, but I really wanted it to push the boundaries of taste a lot further than it did. The song and dance routines were entertaining, and every so often you had a little more of the excellent animation. However, at nearly two hours I felt the conscious whackiness didn't quite last the course. It's still a good rental, but I'm not sure it's a worthwhile full price purchase.

Ripping Yarns - The Complete Series[DVD] [1976]
Ripping Yarns - The Complete Series[DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Michael Palin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Funny, 13 May 2015
Some 70's humour might have dated, including Python, but not this. I fondly remember the original broadcast, and am so pleased to discover that it's every bit as funny as it was all those years ago. Brilliantly written and performed, it's laugh-out-loud throughout. I honestly can't think of anything since that has bettered it.

Continental Drifter: Taking the Low Road with the First Grand Tourist
Continental Drifter: Taking the Low Road with the First Grand Tourist
by Tim Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Enjoyable Read, 13 May 2015
This is certainly one of Tim Moore's best. The premise and writing style is very similar to "Frost On My Moustache"; find a travelogue by a largely forgotten historical figure and recreate his journey. As always, there's lost of self-deprecating humour and wry observations, coupled to his growing affection for the man whose journey he is recreating.

Lanterne Rouge: The Last Man in the Tour de France
Lanterne Rouge: The Last Man in the Tour de France
by Max Leonard

4.0 out of 5 stars Finishing Is A Victory, 13 May 2015
I've read a lot of cycling books in my time. For any author wishing to write a new book, finding a new theme must be becoming increasingly difficult. The premise here, telling the story of those who came last in the TdF, seemed like a promising concept to me. Having now finished the book, whilst it was well written and mostly interesting, the tales didn't capture my imagination quite as much as I'd anticipated. There are some stories here of real characters, but there are also a few make-weights too, whose tale isn't particularly illuminating. It's undoubtedly true that simply finishing the Tour is incredibly hard and for many represents their victory; much more so than abandoning, which would be so much easier. However, pretty much every example is used to make that same point, so there is a sense of repetition as you progress. And whilst I think it is well written, I did find the interweaving of some of the tales a little confusing, and often had to flick back at the start of each of my reading sessions to remind myself of who was being described and who were the supporting players.

If like me, you tend to read most published cycling books of this sort, then I'm sure you'll find much of interest of here, but it's not quite the very best of its type.

RODENT RAT BAIT STATION BOX ONLY KEY SAFE LOCKING TAMPER RESISTANT RODENTICIDE
RODENT RAT BAIT STATION BOX ONLY KEY SAFE LOCKING TAMPER RESISTANT RODENTICIDE
Offered by Murrell Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Box. Ineffective Bait., 9 May 2015
This is a perfectly effective bait box, but unfortunately our rats weren't at all interested in the supplied bait. One issue with it being a solid block of poison is that you can't mix anything more palatable in with it to attract the rats. I since bought some loose poison, added some chicken food, and the rats have now taken the bait. The down side being that the rats will spray some of the poison outside the box, so you need to take great care to clear it up.

Philips HR1857/71 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt - Black
Philips HR1857/71 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Large, Healthy-Living Families., 4 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As many others have commented, the single most noteworthy aspect of this juicer is its size. It's a big unit intended for making large quantities of juice, so if you have a large kitchen and/or lots of storage space, and a large juice-loving family, then this is ideal for you. If you don't fit these criteria, then you really need to look for something a bit smaller.

Those limitations are a shame as it's an excellent product. The large feeder allows you to insert big junks of fruit and veg and it makes short work of producing delicious, smooth juice. The self cleaning function is a huge plus, so there's little to do other than cleaning the filter. And if you have a dishwasher, that makes the job even easier. Incidentally, if you have dogs, the pulp is an excellent addition to their diet, similar to the natural diet that some owners follow.

So as juicers go, it's pretty much as good as you get, just so long as you want a large one.

RE Camera - Blue (16MP, 1080p Full HD Picture and Video)
RE Camera - Blue (16MP, 1080p Full HD Picture and Video)

5.0 out of 5 stars So Much More Than A Toy, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first looked at this camera I couldn't quite decide what it was for. It almost looks like a toy, just a bit of fun. However, after using it for a few weeks, it's so much more than that.

First off, the packaging is great. It's arrives looking like a little periscope in a plastic tube. Once removed from the package, as someone has already said, it's not unlike an asthma inhaler in size and shape. Pairing it to my android phone was pretty simple, just download the app, and from then the fun begins. Using your phone as a viewfinder can feel a little peculiar at first, but it does make sense. However, I was surprised at the quality of results that I achieved, both stills and video, by simply pointing the camera and pressing the button.

And it's the quality that is what is most remarkable about this device. The images are extremely sharp and the colours very detailed. As good as I'd expect from a high end compact camera, and a great deal better than my Smart Phone. The app enables you to configure the camera for a wide range of effects and options. The camera can also stream directly to your phone if you need the additional memory that your phone can provide.

As this isn't a cheap device, I can imagine the main question people will ask is “why do I need one?”. The answer for me is quality and versatility. With both car and bike mounts available, the camera can be used to record your journeys. And with the device being so small, it can easily by carried in a pocket or handbag. Perfect for capturing spontaneous moments, or taking on holiday or to family events to record those special occasions.

I'm completely persuaded that this is so much more than a toy; it is a very practical and high quality device that will help capture those moments that you'll treasure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20