Profile for Richard Allen > Reviews

Content by Richard Allen
Top Reviewer Ranking: 402
Helpful Votes: 1936

Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Innkeepers [DVD]
The Innkeepers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sara Paxton
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Little Shocker, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Innkeepers [DVD] (DVD)
The cover is pretty misleading. This is more of a ghost story than a horror film, but all the better for that. It's quite traditional in many respects, featuring a largely empty hotel with a past and a handful of unusual characters. The build up is well staged, with a good mix of scene setting, character development and a little humour. The tension ratchets up well as strange things start to happen and the music helps add to the tension. Don't expect a gorefest throughout, but if you prefer the more traditional ghost story with a few decent shocks along the way, this won't disappoint.

Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink
Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but Very Expensive, 10 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As pretty much everyone else has said here, this is a very nice notebook, but at a phenomenal price. In shiny pink it's ideal for girls/ladies in the school or work place. At perhaps £6 it would make a nice little Christmas present, but at £12.50, I don't think it can be a justified purchase unless money is no object.

Oral-B Trizone 6000 Smart Series With Bluetooth Technology Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Toothbrush I've Ever Used, 8 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the most expensive toothbrush I have ever used. Initially I wondered how it would differ from a £30 Braun model that I had been using in order to justify the price difference. But from the first time I used it I've been wondering if my teeth were ever actually cleaned before!

There are a number of modes that give a different type of clean and these are easily selected with a button under the on/off switch meaning that it's easy to move between modes whilst using the brush. Ideal if you have any sensitive areas.

The best feature I have found so far is that if I brush slightly too hard then the light around the top of the handle glows yellow, if I brush harder still then it glows red. This 'performance' links back to the Bluetooth display unit that it comes with to give me a star grade of how well I've brushed. It's a little gimmicky but it actually works quite well.

This is easily the best toothbrush I've ever used. The price is high but based on how clean my teeth feel it's definitely worth it.

Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Fully Featured Toothbrush, 3 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You can spend a lot of money on an Oral-B Brush. From £20 for a basic, single function brush to £100+ for one with all the bells and whistles (including Bluetooth). This one is mid-range, with four functions (all of them practical), and mid-priced. Having tried out a budget supermarket brush, I've no hesitation in saying "buy Braun". I think this one provides all the functionality you're ever likely to need, and it brushes more effectively that you can achieve with a manual brush.

V-MODA XS Metal Noise Isolating On Ear Headphones - Matte Black
V-MODA XS Metal Noise Isolating On Ear Headphones - Matte Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Thing in a Small Package, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The vmoda headphones are small and compact, and while my initial thoughts were that this would be handy for travel I had some reservations that this would come at the deteriment of quality and performance.

The first song I played through them was Patience by Guns n Roses, and while the depth of the sound was certainly impressive, I wasn't as astounded by them as I have been with other (mainly skullcandy) similarly priced equivalents. It was good, but not great.

Moving onto some harder songs by the same group (Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O Mine) that initial concern faded. The bass is pronounced and there is definitely a surround sound experience as each side of the set picks up and enhances particular elements of the track.

The noise reduction feature is very good for the money, and the headset itself is very comfortable to wear and striking to look at as the cable comes in a pronounced orange colour. The headset folds away into a very compact and durable (hard) case, and so as a package this certainly ticks all the boxes.

I'm still not sure why I picked such a softly toned song to give it a test drive.

Faster: The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World's Fastest Cyclists
Faster: The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World's Fastest Cyclists
by Michael Hutchinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Interesting Read, 26 Aug 2014
Having read and enjoyed The Hour, and seen a positive review of this latest book on the washinemachinepost, I am pleased to say this is another fascinating read. Michael Hutchinson has a very attractive writing style, and for someone who has been so successful in his cycling career, his mildly self deprecating tone is very appealing. I've bought quite a few books over the years on cycling performance and nutrition, but I think I could have saved my money and simply read this book for all the insight that is necessary. I think it's fair to say that this is probably a book for the enthusiastic road cyclist rather than anyone else. If that's you, then I'm confident you'll enjoy this.

North Korea: State of Paranoia
North Korea: State of Paranoia
by Paul French

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Insight, 16 Aug 2014
I've long been intrigued by the occasional glimpse we get of North Korea on news items and thought it was time I learned a little more about this bizarre country. I chose this book as a starting point and it has certainly given my a good understanding of how the state has come to exist and an insight into its people and problems. French covers the history, politics and philosophy of the country in a great deal of detail. The book is academic in style, and in that respect it didn't provide me with the insight into the lives of the population that I was looking for. However, I appreciate that was not its intent and there are other books that cover this ground. As another reviewer has said, the book would have benefitted from some editing as the writing style was a little laboured at times and I spotted a few basic errors that should have been corrected by proof reading. Whilst the book covers the country's history up until the end of 2013, it felt to me that the detailed analysis ended in 2003/4, and the book had then been more briefly brought up-to-date. However, this is a first edition, so perhaps it's simply the case that North Korea has been more closed in recent years and there was little to recount from 2003 until the succession of Kim Yong-un.

Finally, despite the very damning one star review, the book didn't portray any obvious bias to me and in my opinion is thorough, reasoned and objective.

H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners
H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Quality Kit, 16 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions are very promising as the straighteners come in a very sleek looking box. Ideal if you wanted to give these as a present. And the item itself doesn't dissappoint, both feeling and looking like a high end product. It heats up very quickly to a temperature of your choosing. It has been used by a number of ladies in the family, all of whom have been very enthuiastic about it. It is very smooth in use and produces a range of effects that are long lasting but without any discerable damage to the hair. Obviously these are an expensive item compared to many others that could be had, but this is one product where you clearly get what you pay for.

Remington CI96Z1 Silk Waving Wand
Remington CI96Z1 Silk Waving Wand

5.0 out of 5 stars Creates Very Nice Effects, 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This a well made, attractively designed product. It is intended to produce a wave effect in hair, which it does very well and has been enthusiastically received by a number of the younger members of the family. Remington also make a similar wand designed to curl hair, and these two products together are ideally suited for girls who want to create interesting effects with their hair.

Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story [DVD]
Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alex Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Tale, 10 Aug 2014
If you've read the excellent David Walsh book "Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong", then this is essentially the film of the book. And it's excellent. Whist it covers similar ground as the more widely publicised "The Armstrong Lie", it's a far more thorough examination of the story; more of a documentary than a film. It differs most significantly in that it doesn't feature the man himself, desperately trying to justify his appalling behaviour, and it's far the better film for that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20