Profile for Rich > Reviews

Content by Rich
Top Reviewer Ranking: 954

Rich (Wellington, Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jo Nesbo's Headhunters [DVD]
Jo Nesbo's Headhunters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aksel Hennie
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and Well Made, 12 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Jo Nesbo's Headhunters [DVD] (DVD)
A very clever thriller. Stylish and well made, with a nice touch of black humour along the way. Hopefully Hollywood won't get hold of it and make an appalling Americanised version.

LITOM Super Bright White/Red LED Headlamp-220 Lumens Cree Led,153m lighting, 2000Mah Rechargeable Battery, Waterproof, Best for Running, Caving, Hiking, Camping, Reading, Kids, Perfect Christmas Gift

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Piece of Kit, 10 Feb. 2016
I've used a few head torches over the years, and this one is probably the best I've tried.

Being rechargable via a micro USB is ideal as cables and chargers are always to hand. Contrary to the product description the battery compartment isn't openable to display battery state. There is simply a red/green LED indication on the side to advise when it's on charge. Mine charged in a couple of hours and didn't run down despite regular use over a week.

In terms of comfort, it is very well designed. The straps are widely adjustable and there are no pointy bits to dig into your head. It's pretty lightweight, so I had no comfort issues whatsoever when wearing it.

As for functionality, well it has everything you could wish for. Various intensities of white LED, with a slideable diffuser to soften the glare. The front unit is adjustable in the vertical plane. There is also a red LED both front and rear for use as a location/distress device. This makes the unit suitable for walkers as well as people like myself who work in poorly lit areas.

Overall I believe this offers pretty much everything you could want in a headlamp and I'd thoroughly recommend it for just about any purpose.

Note: I acquired this item at no charge on the basis of providing an objective review.

Inherent Vice [DVD] [2015]
Inherent Vice [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jena Malone

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense, 8 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Inherent Vice [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
I wouldn't normally go 1 star on a film, but I'll make an exception for this one. I lasted 30 minutes before giving up. I'd barely got a clue what was going on, and very quickly I simply didn't care. Self indulgent is perhaps the kindest thing I can say. A waste of everyone's time in making it, so I'd suggest you don't waste yours as well.

Lifelong Dog Food, Chicken and Rice for Adult Dogs, 15 kg
Lifelong Dog Food, Chicken and Rice for Adult Dogs, 15 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality and Well Balanced, 8 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good quality, very well balanced dog food. Whilst you can get products that are a lot cheaper, this is one area where you get what you pay for. We've always used products in this price bracket and our dogs seem to do very well on it. We would tend to buy Royal Canin in the main, and this product seems very similar in terms of nutrients and balance. Our dogs ate it very happily, and so I shall be happy to buy again.

Canada Pooch Cityscape Coat, Size 14+ W, Green, dog coat
Canada Pooch Cityscape Coat, Size 14+ W, Green, dog coat

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Chelsea, 3 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this might look faintly ridiculous (especially to non-dog owners), it is a very practical garment. We have a short haired terrier cross, and as she's got older, she feels the cold at this time of year. We have a much simpler (and cheaper) coat that we use, and this one is clearly an improvement. After the walk you can feel just how warm it has kept her. It secures very effectively with the buttons and I'd say the sizing guide is pretty much spot on. Obviously it's washable, which is a key requirement if your dog is to be walked in green spaces and not just on the pavements of Chelsea.

The pricing suggests that it's aimed at the well-heeled who have like their dogs to be fashionably attired. But it's also a practical and effective coat, so worth considering if you want to spoil your pooch.

Whetstone, E-PRANCE 240/1000 Double-sided Corundum Sharpening Stone for Coarse Sharpening and Fine Honing - Yellow and Blue
Offered by EPRANCE

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Knife Sharpener, 3 Feb. 2016
There's something quite rewarding about using an old method that requires some skill. I was taught how to use a whetstone by my father for sharpening tools. It's not difficult, but it requires technique.

This is a nice quality whetstone; weighty, with two surfaces, one coarse and the other fine. It is reversible, and sits in a silicon base to hold it steady. My only complaint would be the lack of instruction. There is some short guidance on the box, but you need more information, especially if you're planning to sharpen some nice quality kitchen knives. Fortunately that's easily found on the web, and there are some good videos available. The provided instructions state that the stone should be lubricated with water, as do the videos, though I'd always understood you should use a light oil. I've since tried it with the water and it works extremely well, so perhaps I've been doing it wrong all these years.

In summary, this is an excellent tool that is a worthwhile investment if you have nice quality kitchen knives.

Garlic Press, E-PRANCE Solid and Ergonomic Garlic Mincer/Crusher with Zinc Alloy Construction, Anti-slip Handle and Effortless Leverage Mechanism - Silver
Offered by EPRANCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and Effective, 2 Feb. 2016
I've been using a "traditional" garlic press for years, but have never found it to be very efficient and is very messy to clean. So I was pleased to have an upgrade.

I've had quite a few products from E-PRANCE and all have been high quality, well designed at a good price. This garlic press follows in the same theme. It is solidly made and looks very elegant. There is a runner section to help with grip, and it's very easy to have sufficient purchase to crush any size of bulb. The bowl is deep, and I like the tiny prongs that push the garlic through the holes. There's still some waste, but far less than with my old press. Although it doesn't advise one way or the other, I've put this through the dishwasher without problems.

[Cut Resistant Gloves] FREETOO High Performance Kitchen Gloves, Light-weight, Level 5 Hand Protection, Food-safe and Durable - Black and White
Offered by Freetoo

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wise Investment, 2 Feb. 2016
I hadn't been aware of this product until recently, but now I have a pair I shall use them regularly.

My partner has limited wrist strength, so we purchased some high quality, VERY sharp knives to make life easier for her. They do the job wonderfully, but are a little intimidating to use. These gloves provide a huge level of reassurance. They are quite thin and light, but are certified to "cut level 5". I can't be sure quite what that means in terms of protection, but I've tested them to some extent without mishap. Even if they don't provide full protection, I would reasonably expect them to protect against the sort of incident that might occur in a domestic setting.

Sizing was slightly larger than I expected. I'm normally a medium, but these were a little roomier than I had expected. As they have a little stretch to them, I'd have been happy with the smaller size.

Revlon Tempest Power Dryer
Revlon Tempest Power Dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Dryer, 31 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's really nothing to fault with this dryer. It is attractively styled, and has a look and feel of quality. The matt black finish is very elegant and it has a pleasingly tactile feel to it. There are two speed settings, and three heat settings, so all the range you could need, along with a cold shot feature. There is a large diffuser provided, which works very well. All in all, there's nothing not to like.

Semlos WF-502B 1000Lumens 5 Modes Adjustable Rechargeable Pocket Torch Light Kit with Army Regulation Anodized Body and Durable Clip
Offered by SemlosDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Little Torch, 30 Jan. 2016
The torch comes supplied in a hard case box. The battery, which is contained within the torch in the conventional manner, is removable and is charged within the provided charger. A two pin and three pin power supply are provided. The pins for the two pin socket are quite narrow and could slip from a two pin adapter.

The torch itself is a nice item. It has an aluminium body and has a nice weighty, quality feel to it. There are five lighting modes, high, medium and low intensity, a frequent flash and a slow flash. These modes are cycled via the button on the base.

There were no instructions supplied with my torch. Both the plugs and charging unit had LEDs, but I was unsure as to what these indicated and they stayed on during charge. I would guess that one might indicate when the battery is fully charged. It would be helpful to know that. The charging unit made a very audible buzzing noise. I found this a little unsettling; not something I would have expected. I might be overly cautious, but for this reason I preferred not to leave it unattended and on charge to see whether either LED would go out.

Overall then, whilst I have a few reservations, this is a decent torch. If it simply had the single, high power setting, then it would be ideal for a tool box. The other modes are unlikely to be used and are simply a pain to toggle through.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20