Profile for RomseyDave > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Last Theorem
The Last Theorem

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy yet Pointless read, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The Last Theorem (Kindle Edition)
I haven't read much (any?) romantic fiction, but if I did I suspect it'd be like this. Firstly the main character's youthful exploratory friendship; secondly a bit of an inadvertent adventure; latterly the main character's settling down and raising a family. That's about it. All a bit vacuous, really. Don't know whether the best thing is to bin it, or recycle through a charity shop.

BISSELL Little Green Multi-Purpose Compact Earth Friendly Deep Cleaner
BISSELL Little Green Multi-Purpose Compact Earth Friendly Deep Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for cat puke (& other unidentifiable messes) on light carpets, 13 Oct. 2013
Does the job if you don't mind getting on your knees. Fits into a kitchen cupboard too, so doesn't hog more than its fair share of space. A bit noisy, but as it is so quick, that isn't a major issue. Gentle on the carpet. I haven't seen any changes to the fabric yet. Recommended!

The Inconvenient Skeptic: The Comprehensive Guide to the Earth's Climate
The Inconvenient Skeptic: The Comprehensive Guide to the Earth's Climate

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly informative & compelling presentation of the facts, 28 Aug. 2013
As a fellow engineer (I've not met the author - wrong side of the pond; not quite the same industry), I was drawn to John Kehr's detailed analytical approach. It is a clean, well structured, and honest approach, much as I would expect from within, for example, an engineering-led development project. The sort of project where systems work only where the mechanisms and interactions are fully understood, and not when some fluffy-headed career pseudo-academic***, or research-fund dependent whomever***, wishes things to be so through some misguided sense of artistic rightness. In the engineering community we get those, but their ideas quickly fail when hard cold reality meets fluff and froth.
There are some minor typos (Kindle edition), and some of the material could be slightly better organised, but that might be me being over-sensitive with the Kindle experience. I am considering buying the paper copy so that I can flick back and forth more easily, and mark-up sections for my own further reference.
This important book fills a gap I think, for those who need to see the detail before stepping back for the overall picture. It is more followable - almost relentlessly so - than, for example, Professor Robert Carter's otherwise excellent Counter Consensus book, which does include too much (for me) mention of which organisation did or said this or that, and almost expects the reader to already know some of that. Having said that though, I am now re-reading Robert Carter's book feeling somewhat better informed by John Kehr's. I hope to see more from this author.
If think of anymore plaudits, I will update this review
(*** runs & ducks - sorry I cannot think of a better pigeon-hole summary to indicate the types to whom I am trying to refer. It's getting late!)

Garmin Forerunner 210 GPS Running Watch with Heart Rate Monitor - Black
Garmin Forerunner 210 GPS Running Watch with Heart Rate Monitor - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! (but only if you dont get a lemon); eGalaxy poor communications, 9 May 2012
Dont take my word for it. See the excellent & informative review at DC Rainmaker.
[...]
The Garmin Connect webtool is also very easy to use as a repository for the running data.
[...]
Next day delivery was very good.

Update Oct 2012.... so after this item (FR210) developed a not unusual condensation/misting fault, I contacted the seller - eGalaxy - via Amazon's email service for clarification on their returns policy. This was many weeks ago, and I have still not got a reply.

I got slightly better luck from Garmin directly, who replaced the item under warranty, but I am left with some doubts about the FR210's design quality, and significant doubts about this particular dealer.

I have given the item 2 stars to reflect this, and the fact that I can no longer update the seller feedback.

Mini Cordless Tens Machine (422) Pain Relief
Mini Cordless Tens Machine (422) Pain Relief

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little gadget, 20 Dec. 2011
Got this for occasional ankle tendon pain. Performance-wise it is very good, so the underlying electrical design seems fine. The mechanical quality is okay (hey - it is cheap!), the main niggle being the battery slot needing a bit of blue tack or magic tape to keep it home more securely. Other than that, it's a keeper.

Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply
Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice! Very Quiet!!, 28 Sept. 2011
I had a bit of trouble getting this going, and either I was being kack-handed plugging the thing in (only >25 years working in electronics), or there is something subtle about the 'paper-clip test', but otherwise very impressed with the build quality, the modular cables, and even the packaging. Well worth it for the peace of mind.

NScessity Mini Tower Fan Featuring 3 Speeds, Timer, Ioniser and Oscillation
NScessity Mini Tower Fan Featuring 3 Speeds, Timer, Ioniser and Oscillation

5.0 out of 5 stars This is good!!, 28 Sept. 2011
Sits in the corner of my desk, being just what I want it to be. Arrived quickly. Worked straight out of the box. Easy to Use. Recommended!!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a quality product nor great service, 3 Feb. 2011
Ordered 5 bulbs. Three (3!) were defective out of the box. Contacted seller. He sent replacements for only 2 of them. Contacted seller. Contacted seller again. Finally got a full complement of working bulbs. I will now be very wary about buying bulbs from ANY supplier on-line.

Roberts Sports 995 2-Band PLL Synthesised Personal Stereo Radio
Roberts Sports 995 2-Band PLL Synthesised Personal Stereo Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio!, 3 Feb. 2011
I bought this on the basis of the other excellent reviews and particularly that by the similarly-minded gentleman that likes to doze off listening to the radio. As he says the switch-off timer makes this highly practical and battery efficient. One minor niggle is that the minimum volume setting is a bit too loud - so I have had to buy a new of ear bud phones with an in-line volume control. Otherwise excellent, easy to use, good reception, etc!

Mini Security Safe (760) - Keep valuables safe from theft and damage.
Mini Security Safe (760) - Keep valuables safe from theft and damage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea!... let down by poor design, 3 Feb. 2011
I very nearly returned this in deep dissapointment, but I just gave up....
This really is a neat idea. The drawer/moneybox part slides into the robust metal sleeve and covers the 6 x fixing screws. The fixing spacers provide space to allow the lock cover to be towards the mounting surface. This makes interfering with the lock mechanism far more difficult. It is small and very easy to hide away in or under something. HOWEVER, there are a number of major design flaws. The lock is the nastiest and cheapest ever, and more appropriate for a computer disk box. It fills me with no confidence. The internal 'wall' is actually a very cheap feeling plastic moulding (defo not a 'double steel wall'. I cannot see how it might provide protection in a fire, for example. Also, after purchasing I found it much cheaper elsewhere. My advice is - unless you want to pay for a lockable drawer - is to save your money and buy a safe.

Page: 1 | 2