Profile for A. Smithee > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Extra Select Mealworms 5 L Tub
Extra Select Mealworms 5 L Tub

5.0 out of 5 stars Birds and hedgehogs love it!, 26 Aug 2014
Excellent quality mealworm; the birds love it as well as the hedgehog (nicknamed 'Hegemon' after the Ender's Game series) that lives in our back garden. It's curious, however, how the price varies. I've ordered three tubs in the last three months and they cost £13.62, £13.43 and most recently £14.16.

TP-Link TL-WPA4220T KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Three Units Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good wired but unusable wireless connection, 13 July 2014
I bought the TL-WPA4220KIT to increase my wireless access in an upstairs bedroom. I connected the TL-PA4010 unit to a mains socket downstairs and to my router via an ethernet cable. I then connected one of the TL-WPA4220 units to the mains in the bedroom. I tested the internet access by connecting a laptop via ethernet cable to the TL-WPA4420 (ensuring that the laptop's Wi-Fi was disabled) and ran a speed test via speedtest.net. I got very good speeds of 75 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up. That is brilliant as that is about the same speed I get via an ethernet cable connected to my router. (My ISP is BT and I subscribe to its Infinity 2 internet service.) I then tested the internet access via the wireless signal from the TL-WPA4220 unit using the same laptop with the ethernet cable disconnected and Wi-Fi turned on and connected to the specific SSID broadcast by the TL-WPA4420 unit. Unfortunately, the wireless connection was sporadic at best. Occasionally it was as fast as the wired connection but usually it was very slow at about 5 Mbps down and <1 Mbps up. This meant that at best I could only get internet access to text-based sites; access to video content such as YouTube worked very poorly and usually not at all. I tried using different wireless channels on the TL-WPA4220 unit but changing the channels made no difference. I tried different laptops and a tablet and the results were the same. I also tried using the other TL-WPA4220 unit that came with the TL-WPA4220KIT and the results were equally poor with regard to wireless.

Given that the TL-WPA4220 provided me with excellent wired internet access, I then connected an old Wi-Fi router of mine to the TL-WPA4220 via an ethernet cable, turning the router into a dedicated wireless access point (having disabled DHCP in the old router). I now have excellent wireless internet access in the bedroom by virtue of my old router connected via ethernet cable to the TL-PA4220. I reliably get 35 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up. This workaround is not ideal but, in my view, most powerline adaptors that double as a wireless access point do so rather poorly. Maybe it’s the small size of the adaptor that limits their wireless capabilities; I don't know.

Thus the TL-WPA4220KIT, in my hands, provided excellent remote wired internet access but unusable wireless internet access. I am keeping mine because I have found a workaround that I can live with. But I would not recommend buying this for its wireless capabilities as you are likely to be disappointed.

Large Heavy Duty Leather Working Rigger Gloves
Large Heavy Duty Leather Working Rigger Gloves
Offered by Super Utensil Ltd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy these gloves, 26 Jun 2014
The gloves look nothing like those in the pictured in the description. They are not rich in colours but instead are rather plain and bland looking. Also, the back side of the gloves is simply a thin fabric which affords little or no protection against thorns. Do not buy these gloves.

ASUS 08301-00522000 - IO FPC R1.2 - ME370T - Warranty: 3M
ASUS 08301-00522000 - IO FPC R1.2 - ME370T - Warranty: 3M
Offered by HKT TRADER LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy. Saved my Nexus 7 from the bin., 13 Jun 2014
My Nexus 7 (2012) had the symptom of not charging at all even though the device indicated it was in charge mode when plugged into a micro USB charger. This was very misleading because when the device says it's charging, you expect it to be doing just that, 'charging', but the percent charge would not increase. I then replaced the original battery with a NewPower99 battery, but the device exhibited the exact same problem. I then read that it's quite common for the micro USB port to go bad even when there is no apparent sign of damage. So I replaced my micro USB port (and audio jack) with this item from Asus and, hey presto, my Nexus 7 charged brilliantly! There is a YouTube video on how to replace the micro USB port (search YouTube for "How to Fix Nexus 7 charging port, headphone jack, Speakers Guide"). It's a little fiddly and you need a very small screwdriver, but it works. In replacing the micro USB port, you are also replacing the audio jack because they come together as one part. Good luck!

Google Nexus 7 Battery Replacement Kit (Asus Nexus 7, Nexus7C, Nexus 7 1st Gen) with Video Instructions, Installation Tools, and Extended Life Battery
Offered by NewPower99 Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good battery, but try replacing your micro USB port instead, 11 Jun 2014
NewPower99 makes a good replacement battery, but if your Nexus 7 (2012) is not charging via the micro UCB port, replacing the battery may not solve your problem. It is more likely that your micro USB port is damaged and needs replacement. My Nexus 7 (2012) had the symptom of not charging at all even though the device indicated it was in charge mode when plugged into a micro USB charger. This was very misleading because when the device says it's charging, you expect it to be doing just that, 'charging', but the percent charge would not increase. I then replaced the original battery with a NewPower99 battery, but the device exhibited the exact same problem. I then read that it's quite common for the micro USB port to go bad even when there is no apparent sign of damage. So I replaced my micro USB port, a part that is also available from Amazon (Google Asus Nexus 7 Micro USB DC Audio Jack Power Port Board Socket Cable 1st Gen 08301-00522000) and, hey presto, my Nexus 7 charged brilliantly! There is a YouTube video on how to replace the micro USB port (search YouTube for "How to Fix Nexus 7 charging port, headphone jack, Speakers Guide"). It's a little fiddly and you need a very small screwdriver, but it works. In replacing the micro USB port, you are also replacing the audio jack because they come together as one part. Good luck!

FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device
FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device
Offered by CostMad-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fake TV, 19 May 2014
This device is brilliant! About the size of a small fist, it has 12 small lights inside (LED?) comprising 6 white, 3 green, 2 blue and 1 red lights. All of the lights vary in their intensity, mostly independently, resulting in light that, when reflected off a ceiling, wall or curtain, appears exactly like a TV is on in the room. It has two built-in timing programmes, but I plan to connect mine to a mains timer. I would deinitely recommend this to anyone wishing to give the impression that someone is home watching TV (e.g. as anti-burglar device).

World of Data® - 30m ADSL Cable WHITE - High Quality (100% Copper wire) - Gold Plated Contact Pins - High Speed Internet Broadband - Router or Modem to RJ11 Phone Socket or Microfilter - White
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality cable and quick delivery., 11 May 2014
Excellent quality cable. I used it to replace an older broadband cable (from my BT master socket to my modem/router) that was damaged and needed replacing. I installed this new cable underneath the edge of my carpeting between the tack strip and the wall, often bending around 90 degree corners from the front of my house to the rear. Worked a charm. And very quick delivery.

RJ45 & RJ11 Crimping Tool, Crimps 8P8C, 6P6C & 4P4C Plugs inc Insertion Tool
RJ45 & RJ11 Crimping Tool, Crimps 8P8C, 6P6C & 4P4C Plugs inc Insertion Tool
Offered by CDL Micro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality crimping tool; quick delivery, 11 May 2014
The crimping tool arrived very quickly and did a perfect job of attaching some RJ11 plugs to a broadband line. (It does RJ45's too.) I had never used one of these crimping tools before now; it was very easy. Very good quality tool.

Verbatim 52115 Classic A B22 10 Watt LED Bulb - Warm White
Verbatim 52115 Classic A B22 10 Watt LED Bulb - Warm White

3.0 out of 5 stars Good LED bulb, although more suitable where you want most light to go in one direction, 30 April 2014
I like this bulb. On the plus side, it provides a good warm bright light and has a very solid build with metal (aluminium?) sides. It seems to be about the same size as an incandescent bulb but it is somewhat heavier (but not overly so). The only disadvantage is that the glass portion from which the light emits is essentially a dome or hemisphere. This means that the light is mainly directed in a 180 degree arch. (The glass of a normal incandescent bulb is more like whole sphere [or nearly so] and light tends to be directed in almost all directions.) So this bulb is probably more suitable in instances where you want most of the light to go one direction such as a desk lamp, bedside lamp or ceiling downlighter. It may not be the best bulb for use with a bedroom ceiling lamp shade where you normally want to light the entire room evenly.

Heavy Duty Cotton String -150 gramme
Heavy Duty Cotton String -150 gramme
Offered by Express Goods UK

1.0 out of 5 stars weak string, 1 April 2014
This string is very weak. If you take a piece of the string in your hands and pull, it breaks. It my view it is not suitable for most applications. Don't buy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3