Profile for The Cats' Mother > Reviews

Content by The Cats' Mother

The Cats' Mother (Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Chinese Account of the Opium War
Chinese Account of the Opium War

4.0 out of 5 stars A good contrast to the British colonial view of the Opium Wars., 21 Sep 2014
Interesting - but only if you know something about the Opium Wars already..... It's relatively uncommon to find nearly contemporaneous accounts from the Chinese viewpoint of events so significant as the Opium Wars, and this book is helpful in putting forward the deep sense of resentment held by the Chinese as a result of the British actions in infecting China with the curse of opium in the 1830s/1840s. It details well the actions taken by Commissioner Lin to try and hold back the British, without initially a full scale war (which Lin knew the Chinese couldn't win) and also, to some extent, the bewilderment of the Chinese who found it hard to understand why the British didn't play by the same rules as the Chinese did. A short book, but a very useful adjunct to gung-ho British accounts of this shameful period.

Kipling Women's Garan Shoulder Bag K1517611W Pink Coral
Kipling Women's Garan Shoulder Bag K1517611W Pink Coral

5.0 out of 5 stars My new best favourite bag!, 6 Sep 2014
Brilliant - as ever. I have about six Kipling bags - different shapes, different sizes, different colours and this one is my new favourite. The zipper flap makes a really big pocket when opened up - big enough for A4 notebooks, tablets etc. and the zipped main internal section has heaps of room as well. I love the canvas shoulder strap which doesn't dig into my shoulder, and it's long enough to go cross-body as well. Beautifully made, as all Kipling bags are - in fact the perfect everyday bag to carry my clutter about. Thanks, Kipling. And I love the coral colour as well, it really stands out.

Birkenstock Mayari Birko-Flor, Style-No. 71061, Women Thong Sandals, Mocca Nubuk, EU 41, normal width
Offered by Schuhhaus Rempp GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love with Birkies?, 22 Aug 2014
I have never been disappointed with Birkies, and I have loads of pairs. I love the built-in arch supports which help my (flat!) feet enormously. They are very well made and sturdy enough for rough ground. Typically my Birkies last four or five years before they die of exhaustion, which makes them very good value. And I wear them day in and day out for most of the year. Once you know exactly what size and width fits you best, then ordering on-line is a doddle.

The Hungry Toilet
The Hungry Toilet

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, short bedtime read., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Hungry Toilet (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded this as a bedtime read for my 8 year old grandson. He giggled at it, and I enjoyed it too. It's a perfect length for a 'settling-down' time. There's another shorter poem at the end of the book as well, which is also fun.

All Occasions - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Card
All Occasions - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Who wouldn't choose this for the teenager who appears to have everything!, 4 July 2014
The easiest thing in the world to send to a sixteen year old grandson in Denmark! Sometimes it is just impossible to know what they really, really want so a Gift Certificate ensures that money isn't wasted on what they consider to be an appalling jumper which doesn't fit and in any event is in last year's (if not last decade's) colour.

Super King Size, Extra Deep (16"), CREAM , 200 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Fitted Bed Sheet by Viceroybedding
Offered by Viceroy Bedding

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value sheets, 3 Mar 2014
I bought this for our six-foot bed with its deep mattress and it fits perfectly. It's only been washed once or twice and hasn't pilled or changed shape at all. So far, so good. Would buy from these suppliers again.

The Reformation
The Reformation
by Prof Patrick Collinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Reformation (Paperback)
I'm doing a module on the Reformation at University and this is a useful book for summarising some of the complicated events in an easy to assimilate way. There are loads of other books which are three or four times the length, but this book gives students a thoroughly good grounding and has a very comprehensive bibliography (by chapter, which is handy) at the end if you need to get even greater depth on a particular topic. Prof. Collinson also injects little elements of humour into his text, which is never a bad thing.

Outer Hebrides Guide Book
Outer Hebrides Guide Book
by Charles Tait

5.0 out of 5 stars Really well laid out and comprehensive guide, 3 Mar 2014
We're off to the Outer Hebrides for a break later this year and I bought this book to give us ideas as to routes/sights/hotels and so on and it has proved very useful. It has beautiful photographs as well. Obviously as we haven't actually been to the Hebrides yet I cannot vouch for the book's accuracy, but it looks super and has good maps.

Lavender Slumber Spray
Lavender Slumber Spray
Offered by Cotswold Lavender

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is wonderful, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lavender Slumber Spray
For all sorts of reasons, I have been sleeping badly recently and rather than take medication thought I would try this. I'm sure Zonko-pills would knock me out completely, but at least this spray made me relax and eventually nod off, which has been a great relief. Highly recommended.

The Regent of Aversa
The Regent of Aversa

1.0 out of 5 stars Appallingly badly written, even worse editing, 12 Dec 2013
I was completely put off this book at the outset by the fact that the author's name is Ed Crowe on the cover and Ed Crow on the title sheet inside. If it can't even be consistent on that, what else, I wondered. The book is littered with spelling mistakes and poor grammar, and even though Robert Guiscard - the Count of Aversa - is one of my favourite historical characters. this book does him no service at all. If I could give it no stars, I would.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4