Profile for Sam > Reviews

Content by Sam

Sam "Sam" (UK, Birmingham)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Weaning Made Easy: All you need to know about spoon feeding and baby-led weaning - get the best of both worlds
by Rana Conway

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, informative & written by a professional, 7 Jun. 2015
From deciding to wean at 6 months and sticking to paediatrician vs dietician advice to wean from 5 months (which he will be in three days), we, well, HE, decided today is the day!!!!!

I have been offering him everything I eat and safely to offer for a week now, he never opened his mouth to any. I wanted everything to be easy without me running out of time and panicking that he's still not eating, given that he is 6 weeks early I wasn't sure which advice to stick to (paediatrician or dietician)? After reading the first chapter and the one on premature baby's of Rana Conway's book, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.
She explained that premature baby while they need more nutrients as they are low on reserve, their organs also mature faster than if they were on the womb, so their organs do catch up with full terms. Then to my surprise she quoted a study where preterms were weaned either (early 3 months), or on time. The early weaning group also had nutrient dense diet as veg and fruit alone can fill them with lower calories.

Armed with evidence (although I haven't checked the strength of the study), I was happy to follow his dietician advice, after all she is more specialised on the subject.
We are having some of his relatives staying with us next week, so I thought I'll start when they leave. .

Meantime I continued offering food to his mouth. Today was a piece of bread and then carrot, he didn't open his mouth to either, so they went into mummy's tummy.
Then after a reading breaks rom this book I had a nectarine. Offered the soft side after I bit it, and he sucked on it. ! He then started to really enjoy it with all these num num voices he was making! It was so unreal!
Drank some mummy's milk afterwards then I put him in his bouncer dancing around in delight while preparing his dinner now (sweet potato carrot thinned with breast milk) and ours (spaghetti Bolognese). I cannot remember seeing him that happy on his own for this long!

Never thought his first bite was going to be today, or was going to be nectarin, or was going to be a more of a blw (nectarin wasn't puréed), but thanks to Rana's book, it gave me the confidence to allow him to pick it all.

Very happy mummy. X

Promise You Won't Tell? (A Dani Ripper Novel Book 2)
Promise You Won't Tell? (A Dani Ripper Novel Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable easy read, 1 Jan. 2014
Enjoyable read finished it in three days, albeit a bit predictable plot, you keep tuning the pages so you see if you guessed it right.

Organix Brazilian Keratin Shampoo - 385 ml
Organix Brazilian Keratin Shampoo - 385 ml
Offered by Medideals

3.0 out of 5 stars My hair responded magnificently, but it is NOT salt free (see picure for ingredients), 30 Dec. 2013
I dyed my hair with semi permanent hair colouring that did not do the job, couple of days after I used a Japanese natural dye only on the roots, and shampooed and conditioned with Organix (with much fear of the conflicting reviews). I would have given it five stars if I haven't checked the ingredients. My hair was so clean (and it is not because of the dye, as it was only applied to the roots), which made me question how salt free it is? But my hair felt alright (was not too stripped or dry at all, although I have naturally dry hair). Applied the conditioner and it was very nice. But the big result was when I blow dried it and straightened it with GHD, until the next day, my hair is still very light, each hair is separate from the other and just all over wonderful soft feeling. I am very happy with it I have to say, but I am not sure how would I feel if I have a keratin therapy (I do not have any treatment on my hair), as it may strip it too quickly because of the salt. Saying that, the salt is mentioned at the bottom of the ingredients (both sodium chloride and sodium sulfate is listed), which I assume it is of very little quantity compared with other regular shampoos. I am buying a salt free shampoo, and will see if this seem to be a regular thing in their list. Definitely two star less because of the claim that it is sulfate free on their website, while not on the ingredients (although I salute their honesty on the label).

Daily Wellness Company, Fertility Blend for Women, 90 Capsules
Daily Wellness Company, Fertility Blend for Women, 90 Capsules
Offered by Virility Health Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars A scientific review, 8 Nov. 2013
I have been battling with my fertility and ovulation for few months now. I am diagnosed as PCOS, with regular cycle, but questionable ovulation (my period is never very regular to actually measure my progesterone level on the right date, but it was always over 20nmol/l for a blood sample on the 21st, even when my period was 32days for that month (one of the longest that has been lately.

I read the raving review about this product, and decided to give it a go. I was hoping I will be a good statistic, I was not.

I took it on the last day of my period (CD7) and my next period never showed up (I am day 36 now which is highly abnormal for me). Even worse, my progesterone level for this month (again on day 21st) was 0.5nmol/l (non ovulatory cycle). Needless to say that before knowing about my prog level, I took four pregnancy test thinking that the miracle has finally happened, just to be struck with the BFN every time.

I am feeling very disappointed now. Before coming to this conclusion, I was running low on the first and only bottle I ordered, so I rushed to buy another one (thinking that even if I am pregnant it could be good to maintain it through the first trimester). I ordered another one, and now I am going through the battle of returning it. Although fulfilled by amazon, when it comes to return, you only deal through the seller, which in this case a third party(Virility Health LTD). I am not sure if they are going to take it or not (it is still sealed of course). I will update accordingly.

Desigual Women's LILI Knee Length Dress Beige Medium
Desigual Women's LILI Knee Length Dress Beige Medium
Offered by Belle Divino

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT DRESS: and it is the real deal, 1 Oct. 2013
I do not know what the previous review has been wearing from desigual before, but they come in all type of materials and they have their different season range. Of course this dress is NOT a winter one and of course it will turn to be a thinner material, but it is a GREAT one. I was suspicious at the beginning specially for the low price the Medium size was selling at, but I decided to take the risk. I have seen the dress originally on a colleague at work, who bought it from Desigual Spain, so it can't be more real to compare it to, and guess what, it was the same material / print / label.

Now I can see the price has gone up since I bought it, but still the medium size is cheaper than the rest of them here, or even the RRP. However, although loved the dress deeply, I am not sure I would pay the full price for it, as it is very simple dress, highly elegant though.

Sistema KLIP IT Food Storage Containers - Pack of 6
Sistema KLIP IT Food Storage Containers - Pack of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE THINGS!, 10 Jan. 2013
This is the best storage containers I have ever had. If you are like me, used several types, both disposable and the main stream "permanent" one, like lock and lock and the alikes, where you find them going dull, scratched, and adapting to the food in the them once you store anything with a slight colour (beetroot) or a hint of spice (saffron, tomatoes paste etc) that you end up treating them like the disposable ones and trying not to be seen with them, come to the world of Sistema!

To start with, the colours are great and the built is genuinely worth the price (which is not expensive at all). It locks very well I don't need to worry about any spillage in my bag and I can put them there without even double bagging them (not even out of caution, but one may do anyway out of hygiene - though I haven't used them for soup!). It's so sturdy and truly well built and glamorous to have in your kitchen or for lunch boxes that you want to keep it and take care of it (unlike my other ones whom I just end up washing with anything in hope to throw out soon!!). I wash these with soft sponge and it air dry in no time, leaving it back as new with all the lustre of newly opened from the package!

If there is any negative points to point out it would be:
- this particular range is on the small side of scale (please be aware of what the capacity listed in the description actually represent in container capacity of your needs). However the small containers are suitable for snacks, and / or health aware lunch / dinner dieters.
- The clip to close the container with is at the bottom part of the container, making it in your way while you having lunch. However I feel that this also means a slightly better closing system (or maybe because the clip is more sturdy and looks a lot better than anything I've seen before). It is not too intrusive though when it is in the bottom part. Also one advantage of this could be the fact that you can rest the container on the lid, and having all the system in one hand if you need to eat standing up or on the go.

And for these reasons (both point being just really hardly trying to find faults in these great little things), and for the fact that the job it's doing is well better than anything I've seen, and meets my all needs (within these sizes at least), I am still giving this product 5 stars and highly recommending it.

Really happy costumer!

Rockport Women's Katja Clog Sandal Casual
Rockport Women's Katja Clog Sandal Casual

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, very comfy, 12 Dec. 2012
Love the slip on shoes, and these are just great. Can look a bit old but with the right outfit it looks really trendy. The comfort factor alone is worth every penny (specially when you get them at the Amazon bargain price!! )

Bebe Women's Kara Wedge Sandal
Bebe Women's Kara Wedge Sandal

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, size is a little bit off, 12 Dec. 2012
Great great shoes, lovely colour and looks exactly as the picture (bought the green lime in size 4.5 UK). The only problem is that the size is way off. I usually wear size 4UK and the 4.5 was too tight. Good thing they are slip on, and I hope with a bit of time they will adjust to my feet. (Hopefully :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV BUT BE CAREFUL, not WI FI built in, 31 July 2011
This TV delivers everything that it promises, except the build in wi fi described by Amazon. If you read the tv description in depth it would show that it doesn't have a build in WI FI but I made my purchase only reading the headline of the technical specification (As I had to compare many sets before deciding on which one to go for).

The USB ports are built in a very clever way (side ways), which makes it possible to mount on the wall while on the same time create a WI FI access if you purchase a WI FI dongle (but that is extra expense you had to take on board while making your sums).

The picture quality is superb specially on the HD channels (it comes with few HD channels without any extra subscription, namely BBC one, ITV1, Channel 4, and BBC).

Internet service is GREAT, you catch up with iPlayer (bbc), Channel5, but as usual ITV and 4OD (channel four) are yet to offer their services for internet tv. You also get internet browser so you can view emails or browse any site basically, but it wouldn't play built in videos on the various sites. However, it has among the many other great internet services a youtube browser which will play very smoothly (see product details for a list of the internet services, they are loads, or you can ask me if you like and I will check it for you).
I haven't experienced any problem with viewing the dark scenes on the dark which I heard about a lot in other tv sets so I am very pleased about that, as I feel maybe the price tag is not just for the name.

However one small (hopefully teething) problem, is that when I connected my home theater (bought the promotion that comes with this one (Sony BDVE370.CEK 5.1 ch Blu-Ray Home Cinema System - Black), through the regular connection that comes with the home theater - AV component, it worked fine. But when I bought the HDMI cable (1M NEW XO PLATINUM HDMI Cable for XBOX 360, SONY PLAY STATION 3 (PS3), DVD, BLU-RAY, HDTV, LCD, LED, PLASMA *FULL HD 1080p New 1.3c / 1.4 / 1.4a Version High-Speed with ETHERNET and 3D 15.2GPS* Sound & Vision 1 METRE) most of the channels do not display video nor audio (and no signals either, if you tried to retune, these channels disappear). I tried to go back to the AV component, and I failed to have it work at all at any channels (channels are there but do not want to communicate with the tv). I will update if I find any solution, I hope its a fault of the cable rather than the connection on the tv / home theater as it is easier to change!! - if you have any suggestion please leave your comments, thanks.

Overall, with the quality of the other services this set provides I would say it was a good purchase despite the misinformation.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 29, 2012 6:42 PM GMT

1M (1 Meter) XO PLATINUM HDMI TO HDMI Cable *New 2.0/1.4 Version High-Speed with ETHERNET and 3D 21GPS* FULL HD 2160p/1080p for XBOX 360, PS3, PS4, SKYHD, VIRGIN BOX, DVD, BLU-RAY, UHD, LCD, LED, PLASMA, Dolby TrueHD, Samsung LG SONY PANASONIC HDTV
Offered by HDCentral

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work., 31 July 2011
I bought this to connect my Sony BDVE370.CEK 5.1 ch Blu-Ray Home Cinema System with my Sony KDL46EX524BU 46-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Edge LED Internet TV with Freeview HD, once connected, more than 50% of the tuned digital channels (I only have the freeview channels that comes with the tv now), doesn't work. It says no signal detected, and I noticed that immediately after disconnecting the HDMI it works again. I thought it could be a faulty one, because of the many other positive reviews, unfortunately replacement is not available on this particular item since it is sold by HD central despite the amazon delivery, but refund is an option, so if you are going to buy, buy with care, and make sure to keep all the packages until you are happy with the cable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 10:31 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4