Profile for El Gerardo > Reviews

The Restoration Game
by Ken MacLeod
Price: 8.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Gamely Restored!, 24 April 2012
This review is from: The Restoration Game (Paperback)
I really didn't know what to expect from this book. I am a great fan of Ken MacLeod - he manages to write sci-fi in a way that does not get bogged down in too much detail. He does not have to describe/justify every leap of belief, just states it and you go with it. This story is set in the very near future, the distant future and ... at the risk of giving a little bit of the game away ... somewhere else.
Mostly it's a good old fashioned spy story with some very modern twists. I really enjoyed it and so will you if you like your sci-fi populated with real people in real situations and not full of robots and Jedis.
Recommended.

Started Early, Took My Dog: (Jackson Brodie)
Started Early, Took My Dog: (Jackson Brodie)
by Kate Atkinson
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars What Katie Did Next...., 24 April 2012
I bought this book as I like Kate Atkinson's other books. Although it is wittily written and the story grabs you in the end, I have to say that it did not come up to the standards I expect from Atkinson. Some very improbable characters and storylines are used to explore the main subject matter of the book: child abduction and parentage. Perhaps if I hadn't had my expectations raised by "One Good Turn" and particularly "Case Histories" then I wouldn't have felt slightly disappointed.