Profile for Brian J. > Reviews

Ray Donovan - Season 1 [DVD]
Ray Donovan - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liev Schreiber

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Ray Donovan - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this based on the 5 star reviews. Yes - I suppose it's OK. Am I waiting to get Series Two. No!. It is hard to put a finger on what is wrong with it. Too much explicit sex? Well I purchased Boardwalk Empire Series One at the same time, again based on a friend's recommendation, and the explicit sex is just as bad or worse so perhaps this is now the trend. The thing is, and I am not a prude, it just adds nothing to the plot perhaps even slowing it down. Also I find I cannot connect with the characters and I am certainly no boxing fan - which doesn't help. Have been spoilt by Breaking Bad, Dexter and The Wire. These did not have to depend on sexual content just great story telling.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2015 3:36 PM GMT

Breaking Bad - The Final Season* [DVD]
Breaking Bad - The Final Season* [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

5.0 out of 5 stars End of a great series, 17 July 2014
. One of the greatest series ever made. From the start of Season One it held the viewer enthralled. It was always impossible to see what was going to happen next. The acting by the entire cast was excellent.

Grand Prix
Grand Prix
Dvd ~ James Gardner
Offered by brrsales

5.0 out of 5 stars Motor Racing at it's best, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Grand Prix (DVD)
I consider this the finest film about motor racing ever made. I first saw it in Cinemascope in London when it first came out back in the 1960's. Motor racing films are not easy to make interesting and watching a car go round and round a track can become tedious but this film holds the attention throughout.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2012]
Boardwalk Empire - Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Steve Buscemi

4.0 out of 5 stars Period well captured, 17 July 2014
I have just finished watching the second disc. The jury was out on the first disc but now it is beginning to take hold. My wife and I agree that it is very watchable and are beginning to enjoy it. It might not be Breaking Bad, Dexter or The Good Wife but we feel it warrants 4 stars. The period has been caught very accurately and the storylines interesting. This was a very violent period in American history and anyone interested should invest in purchasing the 1939 James Cagney "The Roaring Twenties" one of the finest films ever made about this period.

Sunshine Cleaning [DVD] [2009]
Sunshine Cleaning [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams
Offered by 101Trading

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 20 Aug. 2013
Beware all hard of hearing .....NO TEXT. Not much of a story. I have seen Amy Adams in far better. Watched it and have passed it on - not worth keeping would not want to watch it again. I really cannot believe they are still churning out DVDs with no text. In future if it doesn't text I shall not purchase.

The Glades - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] [2010]
The Glades - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] [2010]
Dvd ~ Matt Passmore

3.0 out of 5 stars JURY IS STILL OUT, 23 Feb. 2013
I purchased this on the srength of the reviews. I have only watched the first disc - it's all right I suppose. Certainly no Dexter, Breaking Bad or Spiral these shows are so good they spoil you for most of the others. I suppose it is more in the category of The Mentalist or Burn Notice OK to fill an hour when there is nothing on TV but not the sort you cannot wait for the next season. It is the sort of series that seem to be written to a formula. Unfortunately series like The Wire, Dexter etc do not come along often enough so we have to make do.

Skyfall [DVD]
Skyfall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Rubbish, 23 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
I see in the Daily Mail yesterday (Friday) they give Skyfall DVD 5 Stars. Whoever gave it this obviously has not watched it. Why anyone is paying Daniel Craig millions of pounds to make this junk I just don't know! The stunt and special effects people should be getting the money because they are doing 90% of the film. Don't ask me about the plot - as far as I could see there wasn't one. Mostly Craig is just running - he is fit I'll give him that. Unfortunately, to my opinion, he lacks any personalty and he is not helped by a complete lack of story that made any sense. No one could have survived the first ten minutes before the credits rolled yet he turns up without a scratch. If they cannot do better than this let Bond go.

Brothers [DVD]
Brothers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Connie Nielsen

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Brothers [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this on the basis of the 5 and 4 star reviews. I think I must have been watching something different. Total rubbish. Being generous giving it 2 stars. He walks away from a plane crash with hardly a scratch. He does the absolute unthinkable - he kills a fellow prisoner to save his own life - how could anyone live with themselves after doing that? The film finishes very suddenly without any real resolution of his problems.

Samsung PS43E450 43-inch Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV with Freeview (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Sound Quality, 25 Nov. 2012
Never had a Samsung product before. Good picture and easy to set up. However, on low volumn the sound quality is extremely poor. Better on higher setting. I thought I was just unlucky with this particular set however speaking to my son, who has a 32 inch set,he says he has the same problem - very distorted sound on low volumn. This then is a problem with this make so buyer beware. Have never had this problem with any other set I have owned over the last 50 odd years. I have a LG 48 inch TV and sound is perfect at any volumn. That is why I can only give it 3 stars.

Homicide: Life on the Street - Season 2 - Complete [1994] [DVD]
Homicide: Life on the Street - Season 2 - Complete [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Belzer

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good detective series, 26 Sept. 2012
I purchased Series One some considerable time ago. Initially I gave the first disc a try and was not overly impressed and put it to one side for a long time. Being short of something to watch recently I picked Series One up again, stayed with it through the first two discs, and was hooked. It really is a great series and you quickly get to care for the characters, both on the job and their home lives. We are now coming to the end of Season 2 and will soon be purchasing Season 3.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3