Profile for T. Baldwin > Reviews

Content by T. Baldwin

T. Baldwin (Wiltshire UK)

Raspberry Pi model B 512MB Starter bundle from New IT (IceBerry)
Raspberry Pi model B 512MB Starter bundle from New IT (IceBerry)
Offered by Areema Online
Price: 40.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The Easy Option, 29 Jan 2014
Was very apprehensive about getting into Raspberry Pi as I"m not a Command Line / Linex fanatic and was concerned about installing Rasbian, and assembling the bits and bobs.

Did lots of research on the web and You Tube tutorials and realised that NOOBS was the answer to my trepidation, so took the plunge.

Result all my misgivings were shown to be baseless as this kit performed faultlessly, and I was up and running within the hour and that included assembling the black boxes and wires.

Highly recommended starter kit - but buy an instruction manual for piece of mind before.

AOC i2269Vwm Value 21.5 inch IPS Monitor (1000:1, 250 cd/m2, 1920x1080, 6ms, HDMI/MHL)
Offered by elevenfirst
Price: 113.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Straight out of the Box, 29 Jan 2014
No frills straight forward monitor. I run Win7 and when switched on it started up with no adjustments needed.

Although there is a detailed [and complicated looking] manual with drivers etc, I didn't need to do anything.

But I noticed in the manual there were lots of instructions for Win8-Vista-2000- etc but not for Win7 so I don't know if setting up is necessary with other OS's.

Am very pleased and would recommend it.

Just one mini snag for me is that I mounted a small PC on the back of it and when I came to plug in the cables, the sockets were partially obscured, but I worked around it.

Pity the sockets weren't positioned at the edges more, but that's just me.

Superb delivery by PDP .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 3:27 PM GMT

VMware Fusion 5 (Mac)
VMware Fusion 5 (Mac)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fusion 5 Warning, 22 Sep 2012
This review is from: VMware Fusion 5 (Mac) (CD-ROM)
Have to-day received and installed VMware Fusion 5 for my iMac running Mountain Lion and up graded it to v5-01 or whatever.

This program is a disgusting waste of space, time and 34.99. DO NOT DOWNLOAD or INSTALL.

Problems:
1. Instruction manual bears no relationship to the results and procedure for installation as what happens on your screen.
Basically you are left on your own to second guess what to do.

2. After fannying around making uninformed choices you have to insert codes and register passwords, confirm email receipts, etc.

3. You then have to register to be able to contact VMware forums and FAQ's, I failed to achieve this service as it would not recognize my UK address and I was left in a loop of 'try again'

4. If you persevere and compete the installation I found that my Windows settings were totally corrupted and needed a back to square one Win 7 set up, which incidentally I didn't really achieve, screen resolution etc etc

5.Tried to show a previously recorded BBC iPlayer program on my TV [which I have done in the past no problem with 'bootcamp'] and all I got was the Apple wallpaper screen.

6. Have uninstalled this piece of rubbish and would advise anyone who doesn't wish to gamble 35quid to try Parallels - Me I'll stick with BOOTCAMP.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2013 1:59 PM GMT

Acronis True Image 10 Home (PC)
Acronis True Image 10 Home (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Saver, 19 July 2007
Acronis has just saved me 3-4 days of work and wasted time re-installing all my software, resetting my settings, etc, ect, from my PC recovery disc after my computer crashed and froze AGAIN this morning.

I am a Go-Back fan actually but for some reason it won't load on my No2 PC, so after my last crashing, non booting episode I decided to load Acronis and to-day it has proved it's value.
Highly recommended, I was up and running within an hour, I wouldn't start my PC without it now. Terry B