Profile for C. Mcsherry > Reviews

Content by C. Mcsherry

C. Mcsherry "chicm" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Shantaram
Shantaram

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Shantaram (Kindle Edition)
I was recommended this by a friend but found it very hard work. The number of characters was baffling and the minutiae of their backstrories tedious. But most irritating of all was the gangsters; philosophers, savants and scholars to a man...people of more honour and justice than anyone in authority. Nothing like the violent morons most men of violence really are, and I have experience of those. I just could not believe in any of it I'm afraid. There is a good novel in here, but it's not the one he wrote, not in my opinion anyway.

AQUA JET SPA IMPERIAL DELUXE SYNTHETIC SILVER PORTABLE INFLATABLE HOT TUB
AQUA JET SPA IMPERIAL DELUXE SYNTHETIC SILVER PORTABLE INFLATABLE HOT TUB

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 17 Oct. 2014
Heater packed in after about 6 uses...no clue how to get it fixed. Had a Camaro before and that was a much better product but can't find them anymore.

The Snapper
The Snapper

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Snapper (Kindle Edition)
One of the best books I have read in years. My first Roddy Doyle and to be honest the best (I have now read almost all the rest). Laugh out loud in places and incredibly tender and endearing in others. Loved it.

Eradibait Rat and Mouse Killer 7kg tub , safe for children,pets,poultry,cats and dogs

1.0 out of 5 stars Really not of any use., 17 Oct. 2014
After being away on business for a month I came back to a farmyard running with rats. I keep raptors so can't use the chemical bait and I hoped that this would be a solution. I used it as directed for almost 2 weeks and, if anything, the rat population was increasing! Pretty disappointed really. I ended up using a combination of a hungry cat, an air rifle and 3 old-fashioned fen traps. Rat problem well under control now. Hate giving a bad review for a product that purports to be raptor friendly...it certainly was that but it was also pretty rat friendly too, so not something that I could recommend! Anyone want about 3kg of the stuff for free...?

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you are interested to know more about Ruby Wax, 28 Mar. 2014
Not so good as a general work to learn more. It's a little too much "all about me"and every example is thru the lens of her experience: which is fine if you suffer from exactly the same symptoms she does and have exactly the same personality...which would make you Ruby Wax. If you were to be really harsh then a great deal of it is pretty self-absorbed stuff with little objectivity. The technique seems to have helped her tho and will hopefully open doors for others who do see echoes of themselves in her. I didn't however, and what's more, I found myself in complete disagreement with her analysis of what motivates and drives people. Just because one person has a bad experience of what drives people to compete or achieve does not mean it is a flaw in the entire human race. For all that, I like Ruby Wax and enjoyed her sometimes caustic wit who h runs throughout so the book gets a 3 rather than the 1 I think it probably warrants for content and analysis.

Darien Disaster
Darien Disaster
by John Prebble

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read..., 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Darien Disaster (Paperback)
for every Scot. Especially with the coming referendum in 2014. A fascinating story well told and puts real perspective on the modern Scotland.

The Wolf of Wall Street
The Wolf of Wall Street

1.0 out of 5 stars Self absorbed drivel, 9 Feb. 2014
Go see the movie and enjoy the escapism...the book is mince. The man may think he is a genius but he writes like an infant and he spins yarns like an under-achieving teenager trying to impress the rest of the gang. Don't waste your money.

Coming Up for Air (Penguin Modern Classics)
Coming Up for Air (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into the war years, 1 Dec. 2012
I really enjoyed this book. In particular I loved the detail of the period before WW1 and then between the war. He cleverly skipped too much detail of the war, which has been done many times, and instead concentrated on the banality of one man's life.

Recommended.

RADIO
RADIO

1.0 out of 5 stars less than useless, 16 Oct. 2012
This review is from: RADIO (App)
This was my first app purchase for my new Kindle and not a single radio channel worked! Every one I tried just gave the message channel not working. Talk about stating the bleeding obvious!

Our Man In Havana: An Introduction by Christopher Hitchens
Our Man In Havana: An Introduction by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete joy, 21 Aug. 2012
This was my first ever Greene novel and I am hooked!

What style, wit and imagination. He captured the essence of the English abroad to an absolute tee (or should that be tea?)

I have to read more...