Profile for RayB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Deceiver
The Deceiver

3.0 out of 5 stars The Deceiver, 30 May 2016
This review is from: The Deceiver (Kindle Edition)
This book does not compare with Day of Jackal. It was easy reading but it never seemed, to me, to go anywhere.

Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)
Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Clifton Chronicles book 5, 29 Jan. 2016
This is book 5 in the series. I enjoyed it and it kept me reading. However, it was not totally self contained. The reader does require to have read the earlier books. So much so, I had to keep checking I had read book 4 as book 5 seemed to have missed a complete block of time. Things had happened in the 'missing book' that were never really explained. Book 4 ended with a cliff hanger of a car crash. So what happened in that crash?At the end of this book (book 5) not a lot seemed to have moved along!!
Books 1 - 4 warranted 4 or 5 stars but this one was not the same enthralling standard so it only gets 3 stars from me.

English Electric/BAC Lightning Mks 1-6
English Electric/BAC Lightning Mks 1-6
by Kev Darling

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightning Mks 1-6, 27 Dec. 2015
This is quite a comprehensive cover of the Lightning from prototype to F6 and export variants.
The book is an history of each aircraft , when it entered service and where it went which is very useful for research purposes.
It does cover the avionics fitted to the Lightning by ARI number and / or title but it does not go into more detail.
It makes no mention of the Lightning Automatic Test Equipment which is a pity.
This book will sit on my bookshelf as a reference but I doubt if it will be reread very often. Even so, I feel it was well worth buying.

Narrow Boat
Narrow Boat

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a Narrow Boat but more a travelogue., 23 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Narrow Boat (Kindle Edition)
Not sure what I was expecting but it was not a good read in my opinion. I was expecting something about the experience on the narrow boat. That was there but in the background. It was far more a description of the scenery and the buildings of interest on his journey through the canal system.
The use of words was good and painted the relevant picture so the scenery did come to life.
The underlying story seemed to be a rave against something for allowing the canal society (boat people, narrow boats, canal organisation etc) to vanish into Britain's history.
I did read the book to the end but it was not enjoyable to me. I know this book helped to create the Inland Waterways and 'well done' for that but I am amazed it had such an effect.

Damage (Dick Francis Book 4)
Damage (Dick Francis Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Damage but not by Dick, 16 Oct. 2015
New character, new job and a good read.

Paddington [DVD] [2015]
Paddington [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman

4.0 out of 5 stars Paddington DVD 2015, 26 April 2015
This review is from: Paddington [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
A very cleverly made film with animation and real people mixed together. I have heard snippets of the story of Paddington but never all of it.
This film is an interesting take on Paddington. Fun to watch and enjoyable. An American view of the world unfortunately.

Man of War
Man of War

4.0 out of 5 stars Man of War, 19 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Man of War (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of the very slow promotion of a rifle officer during peacetime and the rapid advancement during war. It is a very good read if a little slow to get off the ground. In true military fashion, the author uses initial letter abbreviations for many military terms. Even with a military background (but not in the rifles) I struggled. It is a pity that he did not use military convention to write out in full the meaning of each abbreviation the first time it was used. Add to that the poor proof reading of the Kindle version of the book and the text was much harder to read than one would expect.
Nevertheless, the book had to be read to the end as it pulled the reader into the plot alongside a real officer and gentleman.

Chorus Line [DVD] [1985]
Chorus Line [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Michael Douglas
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars Chorous Line DVD, 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Chorus Line [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
The film was sort of enjoyable. However, the macho perception of the audition process leaves all sorts of questions in my mind.

IVSO Slim Smart Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Tablet with Auto Sleep/Wake Function (Black)
Offered by IVSOTEK UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim Smart Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy tab S 10.5 tablet, 18 Oct. 2014
What was I expecting? Not sure but I assume I was expecting some form of padding to protect the screen. I did not understand the Auto Sleep Function. From the picture of the case I was expecting some method to stand the tablet so it could become hands free.
What did I get? The case fits the tablet like a glove but it is not padded. There is protection but maybe less than I would like. It certainly keeps fingers off the screen when carrying it. However it is hard so it soon becomes uncomfortable to hold, when reading, for long periods. This is very much a personal view.
I was quite surprised to find that the tablet does go to sleep when the case is shut. It also wakes when the case is undone. Not sure how it is achieved but it works. I think it is more to do with the tablet functionality than the case but that is just guessing.
I am a failure. I cannot get the case to form a stand!! However, I have not found a scenario where I want to read the screen while it sits on the desk. I find it far more convenient to hold the tablet/case at the relevant distance/position. So the fact I cannot create a tablet stand becomes irrelevant.
One feature that should be noted. The hole for the headphone jack plug is a very tight fit. So tight that the plug would not go through and go fully home so headphone was not working. It was necessary to ease the hole size and position to let the plug go fully home. This is not a problem if one is aware that it can happen. It took me a few days of muttering to find if there was an error (thought it might be tablet setup to start), what it was and how to correct it.
This is a well made case and good value. I have yet to find if it gives reasonable protection if I drop the tablet but I do not intend to do that just yet.

Samsung Plus 64GB Micro SD SDXC Class 10 UHS-I Memory card, Upto 48MB/S with Adapter
Offered by Low Price Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars 64 GB micro SD card class 10, 23 Sept. 2014
Bought this micro SD card for use with my Samsung galaxy tablet. It fitted into the tablet and works well.
The card needs to be class 10 to cope with files sizes and speed needed to store them so it is pointless skimping on this feature.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9