Profile for RayB > Reviews

Content by RayB

RayB "Ray" (Suffolk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
3 Film Boxset: It Could Happen To You / My Best Friend's Wedding / Sleepless In Seattle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleepless in Seatle and 2 others, 28 Jun. 2013
This box set contains 3 films. Very easy watching and all can be watched many times.
The films are Romantics but they leave me with a feel good factor.

All New Fire HD 6 & 7 User Guide - Newbie to Expert in 2 Hours!
All New Fire HD 6 & 7 User Guide - Newbie to Expert in 2 Hours!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire User guide - get you started anyway, 28 Jun. 2013
This book is OK but I found it US based with UK facts not clear. It also only goes part of the way to be a user guide.
It does get one started and it is quite easy to follow and is worth reading. However, it does not always give full step by step instructions which I would have liked. It fills the hole left by Amazon who do not provide a User Guide for the Kindle Fire HD other than to tell the user that it must be charged before use!!
Kindle Fire HD is basically an eReader but it does not explain the icons that appear when reading a book or document. Neither does it explain how to use bookmarks or how to highlight text.
It does not define the file formats that can be used on Kindle Fire HD.
Kindle Fire HD can become more useful with certain Apps but maybe that is not in the scope of this book. However the best Apps Book by the same authors does not cover increase functionality either.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2013 3:19 PM BST

While You Were Sleeping [DVD] [1995]
While You Were Sleeping [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock

4.0 out of 5 stars While you were sleeping DVD, 20 Jun. 2013
This film is a Romantic story and is very watchable. It is the type of film that can be seen many times and my wife and I enjoyed it.
As an aside, the DVD came with just the film on it - no trailers and no options to set up. What a wonderful idea. A film that is really insert and play.

Kindle Fire HDX User Guide: Newbie to Expert in 2 Hours!
Kindle Fire HDX User Guide: Newbie to Expert in 2 Hours!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire User Guide, 20 Jun. 2013
Actually, the Guide is very useful and very clear. It is the sort of document I would have expected to have been included with the Kindle Fire HD when purchased.
The only problem with this particular guide is that it is directed at the USA market. The Guide does make this point.
Amazon has different standards for the same product (Kindle Fire HD) in USA and UK even to the extent that some Apps are included in the US version but are not included in the UK version.

Sudoku 10'000 Free
Sudoku 10'000 Free

2.0 out of 5 stars Sudoku App, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sudoku 10'000 Free (App)
The screen is easy to read and easy to use.
The app does not give the possible options for each number. This means that choices have to be maintained on paper so why have this app? It is easier to do this with the newspaper.

One Hundred Days
One Hundred Days
by Admiral Sandy Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Days - Falklands War, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: One Hundred Days (Paperback)
This is a superb view of the Falklands War from the perspective of the man in charge. This is a view not normally delivered. Most memoires or views are Tactical and look at just one small area of the Conflict. This book gave the Stategic view including those parts that did not go as well as hoped. This is 'must read' for any potential commander of future conflicts. Maybe it should be compulsive reading for our ministers who have no idea what War is really like - it is not like it is portrayed by Hollywood that is for certain.

Dropbox
Dropbox

3.0 out of 5 stars Dropbox revised, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Dropbox (App)
I was expecting great things from Dropbox. I wanted to sync some folders between my laptop and my Kindle HD Fire.
I loaded Dropbox onto my Laptop. That was not a problem. How to use it was not obvious (and still isn't).
Then I tried to load another Dropbox onto my Kindle Fire HD. There is not a Dropbox App suitable for Kindle Fire HD. There is one for Kindle Fire and I was totally amazed to find it was not compatible with Fire HD so it did not load.
I accept that it might be me and my intuative understanding has vanished.
The following advice was provided to me:
1-From the Kindle Fire's main screen, open the swipe down extra menu.
2-Tap More and then Device.
3-Toggle the setting labelled Allow Installation of Applications to On. This enables your device to install apps not in Amazon's Appstore.
4-Now download Dropbox for Android from the Dropbox website and install it.
I have Dropbox already installed on my laptop. I then used Silk to find the Dropbox web page on my Kindle Fire HD to install the android version.
Now it does work on Kindle Fire HD. Before you buy this item, it is free from the Dropbox site so be sure you know how to use it and ensure you can find a way to load it on Kindle Fire HD. I only give it three stars for the hassle I have had (and advice needed) to get it up and running.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 11:31 PM GMT

Endeavour: The Origins of Inspector Morse [DVD]
Endeavour: The Origins of Inspector Morse [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shaun Evans
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Endeavour - Young Morse, 22 May 2013
This is essential viewing for any Morse fan. It shows where, how and why many of the traits of Morse came about.
Add to that a good plot and this film is excellent viewing.
It does not answer all the questions about Morse but more come out in the Endeavor films that follow.
This is as much compulsive viewing as the Morse or Lewis films with which we are all familiar.

Best Kept Secret: Book Three of the Clifton Chronicles (The Clifton Chronicles series 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Kept Secret (Clifton 3), 6 May 2013
This is to the normal Jeffery Archer standard but this one is, in my opinion, only good and not excellent.
It is the thrid book in the series of 3 about the Clifton family so it is essential that 'Only Time will tell' - book 1 (excellent) and 'The sins of the father' - book 2 (also exellent) are read in order before 'Best Kept Secret'. Although I rated it as Good (3 stars) it was still a book that could not be put down. Books 1 and 2 need this one to draw the saga to a thrilling close.

Joyce Grenfell - The BBC Collection [DVD]
Joyce Grenfell - The BBC Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joyce Grenfell

3.0 out of 5 stars Joyce Grenfell, 15 April 2013
This is a selection of Joyce's monologues which are very good.
It is as I remember but it seems to have lost a lot of its charm with the passing of time.
Recommended for good memories but do not expect the rose tinted glow to still be there - you may be lucky but I was not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8