Profile for Dean > Reviews

Dean

The Hemingway Hoax
The Hemingway Hoax

4.0 out of 5 stars Well I enjoyed it!, 4 Jun. 2013
Take a nicely done thriller where an academic gets mixed up with his scheming wife and a no good con man and finds himself on a path towards creating a literary hoax and then bounce it around a few alternative universes. Throw in a seeming omnipotent adversary who doesn't seem to be able to kill our hero (well he does but...) and give it another stir with a track right back to Hemingway himself. What's not to like?

Yes I've read Forever War and the sequels and would recommend them to anyone who asks, but don't just stop there, I'm getting a real kick out of working my way through Joe's back catalogue. I urge you, give some of these a try.

Damnation Alley
Damnation Alley

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Damnation Alley (Kindle Edition)
I've been waiting for Roger Zelazny books to be available for the Kindle ever since I got one, and I'm glad this was the first. Forget the film and the Judge Dredd Cursed Earth graphic version, this has depth and characterisation as well as the action and the anti-hero.

Let's hope The Dream Master, Lord of Light, and of course the Chronicles of Amber are not far behind.

The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier - Guardian (The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens that really are alien, 13 May 2013
Too often we see aliens who are driven by the same motivations we have ourselves. What I like most about the Beyond series over and above the original Lost Fleet, is the way the three alien races have not only their own motivations but that John has included in the central story not only the discussion of their motivations but also take the time to consider what that says about humanity. Let's face it, the cute but homicidal aliens positioned against the ugly but friendly aliens has been done before but the intelligent way it's been handled, with the dread feeling on board the captured ship and the concern that the Dancers aren't telling everything they know, just keeps us wondering whether things are as simple as they seem. Even the differences between the Syndicate, the ex-Syndicate worlds and the Alliance gets carefully considered rather than just a sidebar on the way to the next battle. Oh and by the way, that ending completely caught me by surprise, nice work John, keep it up.

Tactics of Mistake: The Childe Cycle Book 4
Tactics of Mistake: The Childe Cycle Book 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooooo happy!, 12 Oct. 2011
I have been dilligently checking Amazon for months waiting for classics like this to appear and finally thanks to Gateway (Gollancz/Orion) there's now a load of this to devour. Tactics of Mistake was my first pick though due to fond memories from my youth, and it has lost nothing in the intervening years. Great characterisation and a nice positioning between the philosophical nature of the conflict between the two main characters and the speed the plot moves along. If you haven't come across the Dorsai saga before this is a great place to start! Oh and this one doesn't suffer from the horrible level of typos that some of the other ebooks in this mass release have done.

Deathworld Two: Deathworld Book 2
Deathworld Two: Deathworld Book 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Fixed!, 12 Oct. 2011
This was my original review "This Kindle version has been released with a load of other great classic sci-fi books and while the story is great this book itself is terrible, every page is littered with poor typos that look like the conversion was done by OCR and nobody bothered to check. Strangely the other 4 books I have read released by Gateway (Gollancz/Orion) at the same are fine, but something went horribly wrong on this one! If they fix it then this book is worth a read, great characterisation and a plot that flows along very nicely."

I am really happy to report that Gateway SF took down that version, fixed the typos and have now replaced it. Sadly Harry Harrison recently passed away but at least now you can get all three Deathworld books for the Kindle and hopefully enjoy them as much as I did!