Profile for jamie > Reviews

Content by jamie

jamie "Jamie Willetts"

Radeon HD 6870 - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.1 (11179-09-20G)
Radeon HD 6870 - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.1 (11179-09-20G)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Card, 23 July 2013
I started out with one of these brilliant cards. It was plenty to play things like skyrim and guild wars 2 at very high/ ultra settings at a very playable 40-50fps. The card was very quiet running at reasonable temperatures (75 degrees on max load) but i wanted cooler as my case is soundproofed. Using the sapphire trixx software to do this was a simple and pleasant experience and i got the results i wanted with ease.

The card comes at a stock frequency of 950MHz core clock which i bumped up to 1025MHz whilst keeping the card cool with the stock fan.

At this satge, the card impressed me, but the real surprise came when i added an additional 6870 in crossfire. I bought the second gpu in hopes to do recording at a solid 50fps. I expected a performance increase in the region of 150% but i have to say, this is the best scaling gpu i have ever known for two way crossfire. I rarely dip below 100 fps on Guild wars 2 and never below 80fps on skyrim, even with mods. This is almost a perfect 200% performance increase, something unheard of with multi gpu solutions.

If ever you want a crossfire build for around 250, this is the answer.

Zalman CNPS9900 MAX (BLUE) - ZALMAN CNPS9900 MAX BLUE LED CPU COOLER
Zalman CNPS9900 MAX (BLUE) - ZALMAN CNPS9900 MAX BLUE LED CPU COOLER
Offered by ADMI Limited UK
Price: 45.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool and quiet but a bugger to install., 11 May 2013
I purchased this to cool an I5-3570k at 4.2Ghz. Let me tell you, it has not disappointed. This thing is whisper quiet, even without the included resistor. It gives a nice bright, blue glow that looks outstanding in the dark but the best thing is that it keeps my cpu at a very cool 40 degrees at ALL times. It idles at a mere 22 degrees when browsing the web and doing light work with applications but even under max load in prime, i have never seen it peak 40.

Now, the drawback.
I have installed a few coolers in my time and i have to say this was the most tedious installation I have encountered. I thought i was going to break my motherboard with the pressure i was applying to get the bloody thing on! I was however installing it inside a case so maybe the experience was better outside the case but let me assure you, if you want to install this thing, keep the stress ball handy.

SATA 3 Locking Plug to Right Angle Plug 6Gb High Speed Cable Lead 50cm
SATA 3 Locking Plug to Right Angle Plug 6Gb High Speed Cable Lead 50cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly!, 11 May 2013
I have 4 of these connected in my build. In both 3gb/s and 6gb/s situations, they perform just as i expected. They feel solid and yet are malleable enough to route throughout the tightest spots in my build. Brilliant.

Computer PC Plastic Alloy HDD 3.5" Hard Disk Cooler 2 Fan
Computer PC Plastic Alloy HDD 3.5" Hard Disk Cooler 2 Fan
Offered by sourcingmap
Price: 4.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to fit, noisy, but does the job., 11 May 2013
I had an overheating HDD in an extremely well ventilated case. I thought that a little extra cooling would solve the problem so i bought this. It uses a molex plug with a female plug on the back so your molex cable is not solely taken up by this, a nice touch. It, however was the noisiest component in my gaming build, including 2, 230mm fans and two gpu's making my built far from silent to start with. This thing is LOUD.
It is also very tricky to fit if you are mounting the HDD into a harddrive rack. I ended up mounting it on the bottom of my HDD mount in a very awkward way.
In the end, it providing decent cooling, stopping the HDD overheating but not very impressive overall.
This thing went in the bin with the old HDD but i hardly regret the 3.50 i spent.

Zalman ZM-NC3 Ultra Quiet Cooler for Up to 17 inch Laptop
Zalman ZM-NC3 Ultra Quiet Cooler for Up to 17 inch Laptop
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars cool and very quiet., 23 Feb 2013
I use my laptop at least a few hours each day and since yesterday when this cooler arrived, my laptop fan has not had to spin up once during use, even including some light gaming (guild wars 2, low settings as my laptop is not the most gaming oriented machine) which is fantastic as my inbuilt fan is noisy and distracting. this fan is whisper quiet and certainly is doing its job. my laptop is probably only a couple of degrees above room temperature. the usb is great as it has a built in female adapter so the usb port is not taken up for use by other peripherals. overall, a great piece of kit!

Update- After extensive use, the fan is still working and still cooling with excellent efficiency. One thing I have noticed however, the fan does get clogged up with the slightest bit of dust, increasing the noise level but this is easily resolved by simply blowing through the fan. Still well worth the buy!

Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger
Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger
Offered by Slamtech Online
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars does what is expected, 21 Feb 2013
charges fast. arrived very quickly. packaged well. what more could you ask for?

2 day update and one of the chargers has stopped working. not good. i will see how the second one holds out.

Aerocool X-Predator Full Tower Gaming Case with No PSU and White LED Fans - White
Price: 109.01

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 6 Jan 2013
a great case for any computer enthusiast. looks great and fits all my build inside with heaps of room. i will be installing two more 140mm fans for extra cooling which is very easy to do. the cable management is fantastic. my only gripe is that the black wire mesh is very delicate (i have already bent the optical drive covers multiple times)but they are just as easy to bend back into place.
Overall, a great case.

16gb corsair vengeance -ram
corsair builder cx750W -psu
two 140mm corsair high airflow -fans
arctic cooler freezer xtreme rev.2 -cpu cooler
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2013 7:47 PM GMT