Customer Discussions > world cinema discussion forum

Feel good gay films

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Feb 2012 15:19:54 GMT
Looking for feel good gay films. The sort that give you that warm happy feeling inside and lift your spirit, and if a bit of eye candy is thrown in thats great. I don't always want films that tell it like it is. I want to escape to wher I would like to be. Any suggestions

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 00:41:08 GMT
xman says:
Maurice? Bit of an oldie, but very good. An English classic - which you may have seen. Posh type, meets the game keeper type and it is love... ok the usual anguish... but.... wonderful, with a feel good ending.

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 12:59:44 GMT
Thor says:
Priscilla Queen of the Desert, is great. I aint gay but this made me think twice Guy Peirce in a dress Maybe.

Posted on 13 Feb 2012 13:45:49 GMT
Tom Abell says:
WEEKEND, its out on 19th March, you won't be disappointed. SASHA is a sweet love story and then an oldie but eternal goodie SUMMERSTORM.

EAST SIDE STORY, I THINK I DO, or KICK OFF for sheer craziness - or FIT.

Or why not COCKLES & MUSCLES?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2012 21:07:01 GMT
seen kick off bit of fun. Not sure about fit think actors from kick off bit to old for it!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2012 18:30:11 GMT
F. J. Harvey says:
Beautiful Thing(reviewed by me on amazon.com.)
Like it is(1998)
Get Real(1998)
Beautiful Boxer-2003 .a Thai movie
Cockles and Muscles-2006 ,French movie
Cowboys and Angels-Ireland,2003
Your reply to F. J. Harvey's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 29 Feb 2012 17:25:45 GMT
The Boys in the band, made in the seventies, was made with an all male gay cast, and was considered a bit of a shocker at the time. All it consited of was an all male cast attending a party. It didn't contain any sexual scenes, but was full of witty lines

Posted on 5 Mar 2012 18:44:17 GMT
ert47 says:
Fashion Victims (German, 2007) is a must see! Without giving a way too much, its about a closeted man who falls in love with a guy who just happens to be a business rival of his father.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012 15:36:26 GMT
AJ says:
I absolutely love 'Were the World Mine'-one of my favourite films ever;Magical. Would definitely second 'I think I do'-on first glance so-so but once I start watching, it manage to draw me in and make me smile.

Posted on 9 Mar 2012 16:12:10 GMT
*'Were The World Mine'*-fabulous and Tanner Cohen is still my screensaver AND is STILL not getting any of the film roles he should be!

*'Get Real'*-sweet coming of age story with the 'geek' fancying the jock and having his feelings returned...but not in public.

*'Boystown'*-wacky and hilarious tale of a gay couple, with a mother-in-law from hell and a serial killer knocking of old ladies to renovate their homes for the buyer's market, and the older woman detective hunting him with her sidekick who is also her son.

*'Cowboys & Angels'*-sweet but gritty fable of a straight student moving into digs with a flamboyant queenish fashion student, who then falls foul of drugs when an oppourtunity to make a little cash, do a little deal and keep a little quiet presents itself and what it sprialls into.

*'Bear City'*-one of the most enjoyable gay dramas I've ever seen. Big-hearted, smartly paced, well-acted and scintillating look at the REAL side of gay-life, not the Hollywood non-threatening campery and show-tunes singing. Utterly non-judgemental, but be prepared for very frank sex scenes.

*'I Think I Do'*-Charmingly cutesy story of love, lust and longing among a bunch of college friends, who struggle to put their yearnings behind them as they prepare for a marriage, but whose? A welcome airing of Voice Of The Beehive's 'I Think I Love You' at the reception and no mention of that nasty non-gay icon Madonna at all-extremely rare for a straight film, nevermind a gay one!

*'Trick'*-Done pretty much the same year as the above, it chronicles Neve Campbell's real-life twin brother as, looking for real-life experiences to compose his music about, he finds it dancing on the tables of a gay bay for easy cash, but will it be as easy for him to make his feelings known, and then for him to act on it. Fantastic support from Tori Spelling-yes, she really IS good, and even actually really sings (hear that Drew Barrymore?).

*'The Broken Hearts Club'-winsome take on 'Steel Magnolias' with a bunch of recognisable actors who slip easily into their roles as they laugh, whinge, bitch and cry about their lovelifes, lack of, or commitment worries. In a strong cast, Dean Cain is amazing, especially staright off the back of playing his first gay character in the non-gay comedy 'Best Men' barely two years before this was made!

*'Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss'*-Tommy O'Haver directed his best film with this glorious throwback to the big technicolour romances of Rock Hudson, Doris Day and the like, and it has Sean P.Hayes of 'Will & Grace' fame in fizzing and irresistibly loveable form as the guy searching his own kiss. Ridiculously this was only released in the UK almost 10 years after it was made!

*'Fashion Victims'*-as mentioned by ert47 above, its another surprisingly sharp entertaining battle of wits and the son caught in the middle.

*'Regular Guys'-*another late arriver, this one German too, made as far back as 1996, detailing the escapades of a tightly-wound cop who is thrown out by his wife for another man, and in a retalitory drunken state, is picked up by another man himself! Come the morning, he is not best pleased. But where can he go, now he is living out of his car? Maybe the gay guy who picked him up will put him up...but for what price?

Posted on 9 Mar 2012 17:27:23 GMT
A few I forgot...

*'Make The Yuletide Gay'*-In this US indie,Gunn is hiding his sexuality from his parents over the Christmas break, but is shocked to find his very peppy and camp boyfriend is not spending it with his own parents but now with his! How long they can keep up a pretence is up to them, but Gunn's family are so crazily buzzed with goodwill cheer, that there are obviously far worse places to be-like at his boyfriend's home!

*'Dorian Blues*-critically acclaimed coming-out comedy-drama and worthy winner of many independent film awards, it has an outstanding Michael McMillian as Dorian, determinded to be himself to everyone he knows, little understanding that he's veering so towards the bitter and cynical part of the scale that forming new friends and relationships may be risky. Filled with amazing dialogue, like the following in a scene where he's trying to get his popular younger brother to de-gay his appearance, his bro says: "Let's work on your words first Dor. Fabulous-not a straight word. Don't think I've ever one of my football mates say 'fabulous'". There's tonnes more, watch the film for them, though I will say the film pretty much opens with the funniest therapist session I've ever seen. Basically all that is saluted in this movie is correct, and hear the singing pipes of that 'stripper'! Fabulous! Oops.

*'The One'-absorbing, very new (just done last year) film about an unrequited college crush being embellished some years later through a chance meeting. Refreshingly, for once, in films for either gender so based on the sickly narrow-minded Hollywood idea of beauty, both men sport a very sexy hairy chest, especially the blond, and the movie is just damned good, reminding us how we can all be fallible, but nothing's generally going to make you ache so much you can't deal with it. Written, produced and directed by a woman-Caytha Jentis-a crowning achievement, her first feature-length.

*'Poltergay'*-A kind of 'High Spirits' with a gay twist, this French movie is far more contemporary, sweet, bold and funny than that 80s trifle was. Tasty Clovis Cornillac is Marc, moving into a new house with his girl, little does he know-until he seems them, that it is haunted by five spooktacular spectres who insist on strutting their booty to disco classics turned up full-heat. Between building work, keeping the little woman happy, renovating the new house, whilst trying to go bonkers through lack of sleep and the inability to make anyone else believe he is being taunted and haunted and leered at by these gay ghosties, will it all get too much? And why are these ghosts here anyway? Damned funny, well-realised and enticing.

*'Patrik, Age 1.5'*-Life-affirming and very original charmer about the resulting mix-up at an adoption agency that sends a 15 year old surly little misery guts to the adopted parents expecting a baby of no more than a year and a half old! Absorbing, funny, wince-inducing in places as life is, but sets wheel in motion. Definitely worth the money I paid for it, was wasn't much over a fiver, if that.

*'Jeffrey'* and I can't believe I forgot it! Based on Paul Rudnick's brilliantly witty off-Broadway play, it may sound a tale of deliberate woe regarding the title character who gives up sex to avoid the danger of AIDS, then is fated to meet his HIV-afflicted Mr.Rights, but this story crackles and bubbles with hysterical moments, the dialogue is skilful, one-liners plentiful, Patrick Stewart is screamingly great value, and there is a heavy air of optimism. Anyone who can turn their nose up at a movie with lines like "Mother, do you mind, I am not having phone sex with you and dad" and a cameo from Sigourney Weaver whose character's specalist subject as a guest speaker-herself, doesn't seem to help anybody, despite her claiming that what's she's there for, yet no one complained, is just not a human being!

*'Bedrooms And Hallways'*-Little-seen London-based screwball comedy of manners of round-robin bedhopping and the constant look for the "right one" stars Kevin McKidd as sweet Leo and a great double-act of side-splitting candour from salacious queen Tom Hollander and straight girl Julie Graham, both of which share his flat. He joins a men's group to open himself up to other people and experiences and falls for a ht Irishman, who happens also to be lusted after by several other people. Great fun and includes a role for Hugo Weaving from 'Pruscilla-Queen Of The Desert'.

*Beautiful Thing*-many have heard of this wonderfully bittersweet story of love and longing on a sprawling South London council estate, and it's a fine rendering of young love, sensitive handling of some diffcult topics and great one-liners "Yes, I know what a lobotomy is, Tony!". Above all, ANY gay (or straight!) film that actually refers to Madonna as the "sl@g" she is instead of the bleeding Messiah that every other news/radio/TV/film ongoingly portrays her as gets a massive gold star for me on the Hollywood Walk of Fame! Take that, bag 'lady'.

****** You are obviously not asking for this type of movie, nonetheless I'll name these other gay-themed movies I applaud and like in case anyone else is interested: 'The Living End', 'Surveillance', 'You Belong To Me', '9 Dead Guys' (a comedy/ganagsta like theme but it's not really in line with the recommendations hence its near-to-the-bone hunour and violence), and 'WTC (World Trade Centre)' based on the stage play, very funny in places but maybe not classed as 'feel good' and 'Urbania'-a bracing exploration into the deep underbelly of the Manhattan gay scene and of the random events that can take you apart out of the blue. Outstandingly acted, includes a cameo by Alan Cumming, and far more related to the reality of Urban Legends than the dumb slasher series following in the wake of 'Scream'.

Both 'Lawless Heart' and 'Love! Valour! Compassion!' are less slicing than those above, but nonetheless are gay dramas (or as with the former, revolves around a gay main character's dealing with his partner's loss and then their family as they struggle to divide up possessions and living quarters) and both will be found depressing to an overly sensitive nature-neither could be classed as feel-good (except in places like in all areas of life), but both are good and worthy of attention, but not sure I'd recommend them to you. None the less I've given you enough surely! Happy viewing!

Posted on 10 Mar 2012 09:39:27 GMT
thanks for the info
Paul

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2012 09:43:30 GMT
thanks!
Paul

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 21:34:37 GMT
'Better Than Chocolate' and 'But I'm a Cheerleader' are both absolute joys. 'Cheerleader' works as a comedy satire, with a rock-hard centre. I've watched both about a dozen times and I'm still enthralled, moved and laughing!

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 21:07:11 BDT
shelter a nice coming out story

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 22:41:09 BDT
BIG EDEN, HIS SECRET LOVER, and BEAUTIFUL THING.

SUNDAY, BLOODY SUNDAY: In some ways dated, but still superb with wonderful performances and writing.

Most disappointing rendering of a classic gay story? BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Watched it in a theater in Upstate New York expecting to love it. Walking out, one man commented simply, 'If I'd have watched that 10 years ago, I'd have put a gun in my mouth." I've never seen such a glum audience--overrated, unsubtle direction.

Posted on 30 Jun 2012 15:00:34 BDT
Pinky says:
"Imagine me and you" with Lena Heady and Piper Perabo - lovely warm and uplifting film real chick flick xx

Posted on 7 Jul 2012 21:33:20 BDT
Roselady64 says:
RUN don't walk to watch "The Sum of Us" The Sum Of Us [DVD] starring a young Russell Crowe. The story had me laughing and crying in equal measure. Honestly I can't say enough good things about it, you'll love it! It's the kind of movie you take out and watch on a day you're feeling a bit down, it really is a lovely, uplifting story that makes you chuckle your head off and makes your heart ache at the same time. You can read about it at the IMDB here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111309/
Enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 12:12:00 BDT
thanks will take a look

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 12:12:40 BDT
thanks

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 17:59:29 BDT
Ronald is right, 'Brokeback' broke its own back to be 'fulfilling the mainstream' after years of strangulated oppression regarding homosexuality in Hollywood, but the gay cowboy movie was only made cos it could be and delivers little of worth that you can't get delivered in far more inspirational and entertaining spades from low budget features and indie pics which have been doing a far better job.

I'd add 'Is It Just Me' by director JC Calciano. The trailer ut me off a bit, thogh I liked the idea, but I didn't need to worry. Charming, fun and interesting. If I haven't mentioned 'After Sex', that is too. OK so it's not exactly strongly gay: it's a film made up of 8 or 10 vignettes, each regarding a couple dealing with their sexual relationship with each other, but at least 3 of the segments DO involve gay couples. And it IS fun. Also features Mila Kunis and Zoe Saldana who are quite, who in it, make a nice couple, though Mila is bisexual aswell.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 10:19:16 BDT
MustflyMo says:
Try no Regrets, a Korean film. Simply beautiful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the world cinema discussion forum (67 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  4 Feb 2012
Latest post:  13 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions