Customer Discussions > world cinema discussion forum

annoying adverts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Feb 2012 20:27:17 GMT
Chris says:
When will TV stations realise that shrinking the end credits on films so that you can't read them, and talking over them so that the music is ruined simply so as they can advertise their forthcoming programmes or what's coming on next (as if we really need telling) is discourteous in the extreme to the cast and crew, technicians etc who surely deserve their names being shown. It is generally believed that the BBC do not have adverts - but they pull out all the stops to advertise their own products in the aforementioned discourteous manner. My God, I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew!!! Annoying adverts gripe no. 2 - if I could afford it, I'd put my foot through the telly every time that irritating 'go compare' tenor comes on and given the chance, I would castrate the guy who came up with those excrutiating meerkats (I've a different fate in mind if the inventor was a woman) and that annoying little twerp in a eagle feather-like cape pushing over window frames screaming "I said you buy one, you get one free, trust me, you buy one, you get one free". Is there anyone out there who gets totally p***ed off with ads that make you want to go out and tread on a daffodil ? Now that I've sounded off, I think I'll cool myself down by sitting naked on a pile of ice cubes !

Posted on 29 Feb 2012 17:08:05 GMT
I hate those commercials for Direct Line. They are shown over and over again, and even if I wanted car insurance I would never call them. I agree with the previous writer as well. Thank God for the taping so that we can whizz through these annoyances

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 09:17:38 GMT
Mark says:
The worst has got to be 118 118

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 12:44:48 GMT
Have you noticed that the BBC push an advert or trailer for an upcoming programme between every single programme? This is from a company the don't advertise?

Posted on 14 Mar 2012 15:59:04 GMT
you do realise that the whole point in those adverts is to infuriate its viewers and therefore get them talking about the product? and look, you're doing their advertising for them.

in regards to your first point, everyone knows how frustrating it is watching films on the television - instead of buying a TV license (which quite fittingly is proposed and collected by the BBC), spend the £145.50 on DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 23:29:47 GMT
I am sorry to disagree as I think most of us boycott irritatiing advertisments, even though we do talk about them.
I also believe that once a television is connected up, they'll have you for a licence

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 14:23:08 GMT
Chris says:
... another thing - have you noticed that the vast percentage of adverts there days are 'pushing' insurance at you ? At least those "sell us your gold" ads seem to have eased off or am I speaking too soon ? AND, what makes Michael Parkinson & Co think that the offer of a free Parker pen is going to sway me into buying cover (yet another insurance you see ?) for when I depart this mortal coil - the 'other life' will hopefully be ad free ! I must confess that I too, tend to record most TV programmes that I want to see, simply so that I can watch them at another time and fast-forward through the ads. The other day I had a programme recorded onto my hard drive which I have since transferred to DVD disc. I put the copying on hold as the ads played through - I had copied approx 18 minutes of the programme and cut out approx 16 minutes of ads. It seems to me that we are tuning in to watch a constant stream of adverts with the occasional bit of 'programme' thrown in. Victor Meldrew lives !!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 14:43:55 GMT
It seems now that most ad breaks have gone from two minutes to four.
At one time it was a race to make a cuppa and get back to the box, but now it's dead easy.
I did read somewhere a while back, that a comppany is trying in some waay to fix it so that we are unable to fast forward through recorded commercials. Although I can perhaps understand it from the advertisers side, but I hope this never happens.
Trailers for future programmes are becoming as annoying as the commercials, as the same ones seem to be shown over and over again.
Have you noticed that BBC advertise a forhcoming programme between every programme they show? And they say they don't advertise.
Unfortunately, our standard of television is sinking as low as American television, where the commercials rule. Very sad.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012 11:16:24 GMT
Tony Walker says:
If you look at the schedules for some stations such as ITV3, you might notice that a programme originally broadcast on ITV1, has swelled from its original one hour running time to one and a half hours. This extra time is pure advertising. I thought that OFCOM (or similar media body) only allows twelve minutes of advertising per hour.

Posted on 17 Mar 2012 17:48:55 GMT
Go Compare must go into the top 10 for most annoying ads!

Posted on 17 Mar 2012 19:31:51 GMT
Chris says:
Go Compare is without doubt the most annoying ad - I heard recently the result of an opinion poll that this advert has come first for two years running for most annoying advert. And still they persist!?!? God how it gets on my t**s.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2012 02:19:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2012 02:20:26 GMT
The worst thing about those annoying Go Compare commercials is the fact they are shown so often'
I find all those ads for Insurance irritating, purely because of the many times they are inflicted on us. It must be costing these companies many thousands of pounds showing these things. Perhaps to cut insurance costs might be a better way of getting business, although I appreciate they must advertise. But so often?
I have been with the same insurance company for many years, and last year I actually phoned one of these big boys for a quote. I am sixty eight, and have never made a claim. I answered all the questions put to me, and was quoted almost twice the price I am alreay paying, for exactly the same cover! I'll stay where I am thanks!
They can put their little red phone where I won't hear it ring.

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 16:55:36 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
It's annoying to find adverts on DVDs these days; one or two I've brought recently have involved wading through several minutes of ads and film trailer to reach the "main feature". O-kay, you can fast forward but when you've parted with good money for a DVD you don't really expect to have to cope with ads.
Re adverts on television, I just accept that they're a necessary evil, but I agree with the poster who complained about all the self-advertising the BBC does, along with irritating continuity announcers waffling on over end credits.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 07:23:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 07:26:34 GMT
Going on about end credits, I find it very annoying when they are squeezed into a small box while the annnouncer advertises an oncoming programme, making them absolutely impossible to read, and when the announcement has finished they get put back to the orignal size, making sure the producer gets their name seen. but sod most of the other technicians who have worked on the picture, who may have contributed many hours in the making of the picture.
I worked in the business for many years, and although many people aren't the least bit interested in who did what, there are many who do like to read them, especially possibly future employers.
I also find it really ridiculous at the speed that some end credits are shown, especiallyon American shows. They are just too fast to be read by anyone.
One tv show here that comes to mind is "The Wright Stuff", daily on Channel five in the mornings. The end titles go by so fast I really don't know why they bother even showing them.
I have found some dvds that I have bought wont allow you to fast forward, and you are obliged to watch about copied dvds, plus trailers. The Disney dvds are particularly bad for this, banging as many trailers etc as possible on before the feature begins.
Returning to dvds, I have even bought major films, only to find the end credits have been removed entirely, and we get "The End", and that's it.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 09:50:43 GMT
R. Irvine says:
I think channel 5 is the worst for adverts. Its not too bad when they're just showing a TV program but when they're showing a film its EXTREMELY irritating when there's adverts literally every 10 to 15 minutes. Obviously all broadcasters push in more adverts during peak time...I'm thinking of X Factor in particular. But I think its quite amusing when your watching something like My Big Gypsy Wedding....yes I watch that, please don't judge, and all the adverts are for borrowing money, cash loans that sort of thing or cash for gold. Channel 4 is assuming that the sort of person that watches My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding hasn't got a very big intellect so would be dumb enough to borrow money at an astronomical interest rate.

I think the adverts that peeve me off the most are the Direct Line ones...you know.. "we're not on price comparison sites, so come to us direct". I don't think I will actually. I know these adverts are made to be irritating, that way they're remembered, but personally I wouldn't touch direct line with a barge pool and rubber gloves.
And FYI Direct Line aren't on price comparison sites because they are for a lot of people the most expensive insurance company.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 13:43:24 GMT
You ought to try ITV2 or CSIReality for annoying adverts. It seems they push the commercials for the dreadful Keith Lemon at almost every break, apart fron trailers for their own shows, which get shown over and over again.
Don't laugh at me either, but I like watching Judge Judy, and I have seem the gypsy wedding things a few times as well! I know what you mean about the commercials. It's almost like they think only thickos or the very poor watch those shows. I may be needy, as we all are, but I certainly don't consider myself a dumb dumb. I know these programmes are never going to win awards, but they are easy on the eye, and you don't need any brain power to watch them.
Please help me, as I just cannot stand Keith Lemon!
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 14:19:24 GMT
Chris says:
I agree with you totally about Keith Lemon - the only person I can think of who looks even more ridiculous is Harry Hill who wears those stupid high collars presumeably thinking he resembles Elvis. Only Elvis looked good in high collars. At least Harry Hill hasn't been 'collared' to do adverts - or has he, God forbid !
Michael, I too watch Judge Judy - does that make us a pair of sad-ohs ? My excuse is that I have the TV on whilst cooking the evening meal - and there is nothing else on. Before I cottoned on to JJ I used to watch Eggheads - now how sad is that ?

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 14:44:47 GMT
Bubbles says:
Chris :
I'm pretty sure that's Hill's voice on the Green Flag ads.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 14:52:55 GMT
Chris says:
Thanks for that Bubbles. Aaagh !!!!! I must remember to mute the sound when one comes on. I acknowledge we all need to bring home the bread somehow but Harry Hill really ought to be consigned to Kiddies TV where his kindergarten humour may be appreciated. Sorry children, I shouldn't be so cruel wishing him onto you.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 15:04:42 GMT
Bubbles says:
Such is the level of disgust we all hold for these terminably irritating ads, it's almost compulsory to carry the TV Remote with us throughout the house, so that we can change channel if we merely HEAR those mind-numbing annoyances, let alone see them.
As a regular viewer of the Dave channel, I was being driven demented with those, "We Buy Any Car.com" ads. (Mainly, before, during & after Top Gear repeats), so I E-mailed the company, telling them how irritating their ads were. (I pulled no punches, believe me). 2 weeks later, the ads had changed.
Sadly, the new ad was every bit as annoying as the one it replaced, and after a while, I messaged them again.
Thankfully, they stopped sponsoring motoring on Dave, & Halfords took over the reins.
Now, although I find the Halfords ads rather obnoxious and, quite frankly, a couple of them are really quite disgusting, I don't mind them as much as I did the, "We Buy . . ." ones.
So, please don't just vent your anger on here. Get torn into these insensitive companies & let them know the level of disgust in which you hold them. Go Compare especially !
Right, where's that Halfords' E-mail address . . . . . .
P.S. I make it a point NEVER to use ANY company which puts "Bad" ads on our screens. My friends & family feel the same. :o)

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 15:08:08 GMT
Bubbles says:
I agree with Chris.
Harry Hill shouldn't be allowed anywhere near TV screens.
It's only a matter of time before he gets more ads to do . . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 17:42:08 GMT
Nothing wrong with watching Eggheads! I love it, and also The Chaser with Bradley Walsh, whom I never liked before, but he is good in this show.
One show I will not lower myself to watch after seeinng half of one show is an awful thing called "Take Me Out" on Saturday nights, so I o have a little bit of pride left!
Mike

Posted on 21 Mar 2012 20:37:33 GMT
Marc Dennis says:
Adverts are the reason I watch netflix and iplayer

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 02:30:53 BDT
I record almost everything I want to watch, just so I can fast foreward through the adverts.
The ones that really annoy me at the moment are, the go compare ones, the virgin media ones and the one with the bloke squawking about you buy one, you get one free on windows. Oh and the Churchill ads with Martin Clunes.
I hate the bear in the freezer ones from Birds eye, they are just beyond creepy!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 06:30:01 BDT
What has happened to commercials that we actually found amusing and didn't get on our nerves?
I think these days we get hammered by the same adverts being shown repeatedly, especially all the wretched adverts for car insurance and things Like Wonga, offering loans of small amounts with a ridiculously high interest rate. I really do think the government should block these types of ads, that really do aim to rip off those who are hardest up.
Try watching a bit, only a bit as that will be enough, of ITV2, and just see how many times they push the same trailers for future rubbishy crap they are going to be showing. I know it isn't advertising in the sense of what we mean on here, but they are really awful.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the world cinema discussion forum (67 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  23 Feb 2012
Latest post:  18 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions