Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

What Headset?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2012 04:16:59 GMT
A says:
So yeah, looking at a set of Turtle Beach PX5's , but apparently they are of somewhat low build quality (my P11's buzz and the ear cup snapped x_X) so what headset is everyone using and can you recomend any? for the PS3, and like £100 odd at most.
I think I heard some good things about Astros? or Trittons?

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 09:53:02 GMT
Astros can also have bad build quality, personally I still like Turtles despite being on my 2nd set as the sound quality is superb.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 10:10:00 GMT
Nick says:
If you only need it for ps3 I recommend the official sony surround sound headset. Good sounds quality l, easy to use, long battery and under £100.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 10:11:23 GMT
A says:
Nick, compare it if you have tried both :X?
Might infrequently use it with the computer as well forgot to mention that x_X, but its not a deal breaker if it only works with the PS3.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 10:23:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Nov 2012 10:29:14 GMT
I've got the PX-5s and I've been happy with the build quality. However if it is just for PS3 (I use them for PS3 and Xbox) then the Sony PlayStation 3 Wireless Srereo Headset Plus Dust 514 PSN Voucher (PS3) or the newer Sony PlayStation 3 Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset (PS3)seem to be rather good

Review of the Sony PlayStation 3 Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset can be found here
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/gaming-accessories/sony-pulse-wireless-headset-elite-edition-1100892/review

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 10:40:52 GMT
A says:
But given that the prices are basically the same what benefits do the official or Pulse offer over the PX5's?

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 10:50:34 GMT
The Px5's have to use a base unit and need batteries, official headset just require a dongle and are rechargeable. I also prefer the styling of the new headsets.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 10:53:51 GMT
A says:
any difference in sound or mic quality?
Sees the Pulse can also be used for computers...potentially o_O.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 11:15:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Nov 2012 11:16:59 GMT
I'm not sure of differences between mic and sound quality as I only own the PX5's however the PX's do use an optical input so are true surround sound but the Officials are a modified stereo to mimic surround sound.

If you are thinking of using your headset with a PC also then I'd probably edge towards the PX5's

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 11:29:04 GMT
Bunny says:
well I have turtle beach px21's and have just upgraded to the new Sony Pulse wireless headset. I can confirm that comms are much clearer on the sonys, no humming, no crackling when adjusting the game sound volume (which i have on the px21's). They are a bit heavier, but feel really well made. Closed cup so no sound bleed, very comfortable to wear for long periods. Audio sound is also superb on the sony's, with virtual 7.1. I find them to give a fuller sound than my turtles.
Donw side is the buttons are awkward to adjust while on, but once you have them to how you like there no issue with that.
As said usb dongle plug and play, along with on screen monitor showing battery life etc. I'm very pleased with them. Will keep the turtles just for xbox.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 11:32:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Nov 2012 11:33:09 GMT
A says:
hmm, next question, are wireless likely to give me problems? Ive heard that wired are far more reliable and battery life tends to only be a few hours? if thats the case then a wired set such as the Astros or a different TB might make more sense...

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 11:35:33 GMT
Pete,

After that review I may upgrade my PX21's!

If they are are crap though I will hunt you down like Elmer Fudd!

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 11:48:16 GMT
Bunny says:
MMM, I wanted some when everyone got the old model but didn't take the plung. Very pleased I have tbh, wouldn't recomend if not. No wires is a big plus to me due to the kids. Plus no geeky mic infront. Last night Lady M sounded much clearer to me, and told me that I was much clearer sounding also, so the mic is good too. They have all sorts of different settings too for different games. Not tried a blu ray yet but Mojo has and was impressed.

Also, I think you will find its duck season not wabbit season

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 11:50:01 GMT
A says:
is buzzing a frequent problem with all TB's? thats the main reason im upgrading mine I was hoping the more expensive ones would be better made and not have the issue o_O?

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 12:01:05 GMT
Bunny says:
I can only comment on my px21's as I have not had others. I know the sonys didn't have any last night. Someone else may be able to comment on the higher end TB's.
Also I forgot to say the sonys can be used with a PC. there's also a 3.5 mm wire that comes with it so you could use on an ipod or other device too.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:09:25 GMT
A says:
...so anyone? wired vs wireless and PX5 vs Pulse or Astros or Triton?

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:16:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2012 10:55:19 GMT
Bunny says:
Its purely up to you and your personal choice. we have layed out the pros and cons for each.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:34:28 GMT
A says:
well not completely, I still feel more information could be gained and given the number of forum users and those that likely have headsets a small number of people have actually given opinions, I can hardly just buy one of each and test them myself o_O?
dont be mean, there is still information to be gained >=/.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:38:09 GMT
Yeah don't be mean Pete!

A,

In truth though there are plenty of reviews of these headsets on Amazon and other sites and only you can make the decision on what you regard as more important (build quality, price, sound quality etc). As most people own one headset asking for a comparison is going to be difficult.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 11:01:16 GMT
Bunny says:
Wasn't intending to be mean. If I was I would have used the words 'Damn You!' somewhere in there. As MMM said most only have one headset, I offered my opinion as I was fairly unique as I have two gaming headsets. Due to having only one headset most advice will be biased by personal choice on what the person already has.

Posted on 8 Dec 2012 21:44:59 GMT
MAS says:
Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered on the forum somewhere. I would just like to know what the difference is in terms of spec between these two headsets;

Sony PlayStation 3 Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset (PS3)

And,

SONY PULSE Wireless Stereo Headset - Elite Edition for Windows Vista / XP, Mac, Sony PSP, PlayStation 3

If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks!

Posted on 8 Dec 2012 22:44:06 GMT
Bunny says:
They are the same headset. In the us I believe they are marketed as elite. Maybe so the yanks arnt confused between the previous model and the new one. But there is only one model of pulse. Hope that helps you

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2012 23:45:12 GMT
MAS says:
Helps me save almost £15, thanks Bunny. Have you tested your pair on a Win 7 machine by any chance? Does it function just as well wirelessly as it does on the PS3, assuming it does function wirelessly on the PC?

Posted on 9 Dec 2012 01:17:54 GMT
Bunny says:
not used on the pc but assume they will work as well.

Posted on 9 Dec 2012 14:27:00 GMT
Hunter says:
Has anyone tried the Tritton AX 180 Universal Gaming Headset? I just seen a pair for sale in Argos for £34.99 (Was £49.99) and was wondering if they are worth bothering with.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  24 Nov 2012
Latest post:  9 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions