Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Sony's Own Virtual Reality Headset Announced

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Mar 2014 09:59:05 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/03/19/introducing-project-morpheus/

"I have long dreamed about VR and the possibilities it brings in regards to game development. This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you're inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real.

Our current prototype for Project Morpheus features a head mounted display with 1080p resolution and a 90 degree field of view. Accelerometer and gyroscope sensors built into the head mounted unit as well as PlayStation®Camera accurately tracks head orientation and movement, so as your head rotates, the image of the virtual world rotates intuitively in real-time. Project Morpheus also features our new 3D audio technology that re-creates stereoscopic sounds in all directions and changes in real-time depending on your head orientation. In addition to PlayStation Camera, Project Morpheus works with DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller and PlayStation®Move to deliver an easy-to-use, plug-and-play VR experience.

The prototype for Project Morpheus is the culmination of our work over the last 3+ years as we've refined our vision for VR. This prototype will serve as the first development kit for PS4 developers that are as enthusiastic about this new medium as we are.

At GDC 2014 this week, attendees will be able to check out Project Morpheus in action at the SCEA booth through a handful of technology demos."

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 10:01:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2014 10:03:51 GMT
J. Morgan says:
Someone posted not long ago they were reworking Drive Club for this. The big questions are.

1. Is it comfortable
2. Does it give you a blinding headache after a few hours
3. Is it smooth or will it give you motion sickness

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 10:58:25 GMT
Great idea, shame it's being used for the past 20 years by Apache Gunship pilots.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 11:42:15 GMT
Why is that a shame? And the only part of this that the Apache uses is the head tracking, but even then the head tracking in an Apache is done through sensors in the cockpit monitoring the position of set pointson the pilots helmet. This uses accelerometers to monitor position and movement, the Apache works more like the Wii's pointer.

If this works as well as we hope it could be awesome! Forget motion controls though, I would be happy playing an FPS with the controller and moving your head only makes you look around, ARMA 2 style.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 11:48:34 GMT
MintFox says:
I don't care how it works or who's been using it for 20 years. All I know it that it looks sexy and I want one.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 11:54:44 GMT
AndyBSG says:
I remember going to Trocadero back in the late 80's/early 90's when they had those huge VR coin op cabinets.... They were rubbish!

Hopefully the tech nowadays is more up to the job but i'm not sure i'm convinced.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 11:57:53 GMT
I like the idea but too many questions until i see it working.

The main one is what is the field of vision. The article i read was that there was two 1080p screens in the head set. Now, if you kept your head still would you have the same field of vision as looking at a tv? My first thoughts is NO, the over all picture might be larger as you can turn/rotate your head but i can't see that the head set would give you the same FoV. "But Wait", i hear you say "the head set gives you a different persective in the game to imerse you in the character". If so then it limits the type of game where this would be used, i wouldn't want to use this playing Uncharted or Assasins creed ot any TPS as you get a better sight of the suroundings form the tv screen. Due to this i think that it will be another gimik that will sell a bit then not be used as the current tech is more efficient.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 13:23:24 GMT
RD purchase for me even if it does make your eyes explode.
*inserts dodgy product link as click bait*
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  19 Mar 2014
Latest post:  19 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions