Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Destiny - Bungie's next.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Nov 2012 13:10:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 13:37:49 GMT
TMan says:
In yet another leak late last night, more details have been spilled with very first concept art images (link below). Bungie later confirmed the leak on bungie.net and added their own image to the mix. Little to nothing was known about the game and the new universe up until now. It has been speculated previously to be one of the most expensive new IP launch of all time. Game is scheduled for release in Fall 2013 for Xbox & PS3.

"According to the leaked document Destiny will be set seven hundred years into the future where the human race has become a rare species with a single city on Earth being their last refuge.

Suspended above the city is a giant alien spacecraft known only as 'The Traveler' which apparently protects the city, however little else is known about the craft or the alien race that placed it there.

The villains will be another alien species which is apparently creeping into the galaxy with one mission - to wipe out the last remenants of the human race.

Gamers will play as 'Knights' whose task it is to explore the galaxy all the while working together to try and defeat the creatures which seem intent on destroying the last city of Earth."

Many have speculated this game to be a console MMO, but Bungie is keep denying it. It seems now though, the game will only have some elements of MMO for CO-OP rather than full blown MMO on console

Leak & Artwork: http://www.t3.com/news/bungies-destiny-game-artwork-leaked
Just concept art: http://imgur.com/a/LG4I5
Bungie.net confirmation: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=32235

Original leak story is published on IGN, but I avoid their site wherever possible.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:03:28 GMT
The concept artwork on this looks brilliant. I love the use of dark greens and earthy colours. The story sounds intriguing and full of epic mystery and possibilities, but that's not surprising coming from Bungie. I love how these guys create a Universe. A quote from Bungie co-founder Jason Jones says "Destiny is designed for your inner seven year old. We want to make it feel like a mythic adventure." This game has shot like a rocket into the number one spot of my most anticipated games next year.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:14:35 GMT
Trigger says:
I too love Bungie's universe building - at least, what they achieved with Halo (not played Oni, and didn't they also do the Myst games or did I imagine that?). I loved how grounded and plausible it felt. In actual fact, playing Halo Reach and now Halo 4 has increased my anticipation for this, because I'm interested to see what they can do with a clean slate and a completely new universe. I'm not sure about it being essentially an MMO, but I don't think they'll wholly neglect offline gamers, and although initial rumours suggested it would be a timed Xbox exclusive, the logo art that was released has the Xbox 360 and PS3 logos on there, so hopefully the window of exclusivity is either very brief or they'll be totally candid about how long PS3 gamers like me would have to wait. I know a lot of folk dislike Activision but they have a lot of influence when it comes to marketing and I think Bungie will really benefit from this arrangement.

I love good spacefaring sci-fi and all too often games which try and achieve it fail (Mass Effect and Halo being the only two exceptions which spring to mind), so I welcome the likes of Bungie having another shot with what I expect is a very large development budget and the opportunity to create a whole new universe. Rumour has it this might be getting a Spike TV show uncovering, so it's exciting times if true. Although it probably won't be out until the end of next year I suspect.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:20:47 GMT
Did anyone play Brute Force on the Xbox? That was a Bungie game.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 15:24:08 GMT
Trigger says:
No it wasn't. It copied Halo's style and front-end massively, but it was developed by Digital Anvil, if I recall correctly. Who were closed down soon after.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:24:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 16:32:37 GMT
well for me Halo 4 was and is better than any other Halo game I played, so meh for me.

(Edit)Oops I take it apathy is not allowed in this thread apologies

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:25:36 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I'm still hoping it's not an MMO, I like Bungie's single player story telling and MMOs always break immersion.

The artwork looks stunning I have to say.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:37:26 GMT
"was developed by Digital Anvil"

Yes you're right, I stand corrected. It was published by Microsoft Studios, thats where my confusion lies.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:40:37 GMT
TMan says:
You are thinking about Bungie's RTS series Myth, Trigger. I'll be sorely disappointed if this turned out to be online only MMO. My multiplayer days are well behind me. Bungie have team of writers dedicated to build new universe since late 2007, plus they hired a writer from Heavy Rain team for more character focused narrative. Single player campaign of some sort is given I would assume.

Regarding PS3, I think when contracts were drawn, Bungie had no experience with PS3 development. Since then, they have hired a lot of experienced Engineers just to work on PS3 version, not to mention some help from Naughty Dog. Entire studio is dedicated to the game since they wrapped up Reach in 2010. Both versions on the launch day is not out of question I guess.

MMO rumours came from a misquote by a Bungie employee, and the fact they hired few people from MAG team (I don't know the studio, now defunct?)

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:03:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 16:06:49 GMT
"It seems now though, the game will only have some elements of MMO for CO-OP rather than full blown MMO on console"

I would have thought if they were going for a full on MMO on a console news would have filtered down by now. Bungie doing a MMO on a console would be massive. Also to bring out the first serious MMO onto consoles so late in their cycle seems really unlikely. Considering the popularity of CO-OP at the moment, especially with games like Borderlands 1/2 and Resi 6, I'd imagine they'd take their influence from that rather than break the mould now and create an MMO.

I have to say I'm a little surprised this is out on this gen and not the next.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:06:26 GMT
Trigger says:
I reckon it'll be a co-op focused campaign with most of the development weight put behind some kind of persistent online competitive multiplayer. A bit like Brink.

*GASP* Bungie are making Brink 2?!!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 16:07:59 GMT
Don't mention that game again Trigger.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:08:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 16:08:35 GMT
TMan says:
"*GASP* Bungie are making Brink 2?!!"

Blasphemy!

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:09:06 GMT
Trigger says:
You heard it here first folks. Destiny will be as awesome as Brink was!

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:16:04 GMT
On the subject of console MMO's, 343i were hiring recently to work on a new game based in the Halo universe, the job listing said MMO experience was a must. Make of that what you will.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 16:20:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 16:20:48 GMT
Trigger says:
I expect rather than an MMO offshoot, this will again be the backbone of the MP (or aspects of the MP) in the next main instalment. I'm thinking they'll go for a PlanetSide-style tug of war, persistent metagame.

Also: fun fact time! Halo was originally to be an RTS for the Mac. It later became a TPS before MS bought Bungie and it was remodeled as an FPS. It was due for a Mac release and had its first public showing in 1999 at some Apple conference. It was also planned to release on the PS2, published by Take-Two if I'm not mistaken. Also, I've never read it anywhere, but I expect that Chief's armour being black and green and the original Xbox's colours being black and green were deliberate.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:34:38 GMT
TMan says:
Bungie history in this official video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtG6--4r_qk

World got the first glimpse of Halo at Macworld, introduced by none other than Late Steve Jobs (as seen in the video). Story goes, Steve Jobs was pissed when he heard MS bought Bungie. He rang up an executive at MS and gave him earful. Not sure how truthful this is.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 16:37:21 GMT
Trigger says:
Thanks man, I'll take a look at that later. Going home now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  28 Nov 2012
Latest post:  28 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions