Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

it took them a while but someone has finally taken the crown from Mario Kart

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Dec 2012 04:03:49 GMT
Jay says:
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed: Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

The trailers made Sonic Kart 2 look decent but having spent a few hours playing multiplayer, I can safely say its truly something special. The level design and variety in World Tour really raises the bar. Have you tried it out yet, what do you think?

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 08:13:02 GMT
John morris says:
I think both sonic racing and mario kart 7 are very good games,and at the moment I think they are both on par with each other,which is an awesome job by sumo studios as mario kart 7 is one of the best in the series.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 11:45:10 GMT
Pah nothing will ever take Mario Kart's crown !! NOTHING .... EVER EVER EVER !!!

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 12:49:23 GMT
J-Bear says:
Yeh, I saw Scotishduck on youtube put it in his games of the year. May have to check it out.

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 10:55:26 GMT
Sorry like, but Crash Team Racing achieved this a long long time ago...

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 10:56:37 GMT
It's a brilliant game - definitely one of the best racers of this year.

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 11:00:21 GMT
I'm gonna stop by Blockbuster on the way home as I now have a bit of Christmas money and apparently they've got it in-store for just £15. Unless Amazon want to price match, as I also have a £10 voucher to spend...?

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 11:56:53 GMT
John morris says:
" Sorry like, but Crash Team Racing achieved this a long long time ago... "

psn: P0PC0RN-_-SL4Y3R,

No I don't think it did.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 10:51:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012 10:53:22 GMT
John morris says:
According to reviews the first crash team racing game scores pretty high at 88 % overall,but it can't compete with the mario kart ds title at 91 %,and mario kart advance at 93 % overall.

On the whole the handheld mario karts are the best.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 11:45:29 GMT
John Morris - if you can say with authority that CTR did not steal mario karts crown, then i can say with equal authority that it did! fugg average review scores. CTR took apart the competition on it's release and remains the finest kart racer to this day. the free-roam hub world alone is better than anything in mario kart! :)

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 11:54:10 GMT
I'd have to point out that no kart racer is better than Diddy Kong Racing on N64. Great music, tracks and challenge plus the ability to drive hovercrafts and planes as well. Has a single player adventure mode with a cool hub world and cracking multiplayer on regular tracks and battle ones too.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 12:01:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012 19:25:09 GMT
John morris says:
Phil, (psn: p4tiny),

Of course it did and thats why all the reviews say different phil !

Mozza,

Diddy kong racing was a great game and often overlooked,I had the original and ds release !

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 15:58:48 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Dec 2012 16:19:02 GMT]

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 16:13:39 GMT
Have to agree with op, sega racing 2 is the best karting game ever and i have played them all its just soooo good.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 16:55:13 GMT
MF says:
your a bit slow ----- the original sega all star racing did this years ago.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 16:59:30 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Only karting game I've played is Mario Kart. Haven't got a clue about the Sonic franchise so it's never interested me.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 17:13:10 GMT
meh. Sonic racing is a decent game, but not nearly as good as the Mario 3DS one. Although 64 is still my fave. Kinda wish they'd take away focus from Sonic in the Sega game tho. Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Eggman. That's all they need. Not Sonic's Girlfriend and Metal Sonic. They coulda used that for the likes of Bayonetta and the like.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 17:43:02 GMT
Forget the review scores. I was there at the time and played the games. Crash Racing wasn't a patch on Mario Kart 64 - hell, it wasn't even on par with Mario Kart on the SNES.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 17:45:22 GMT
Mate, you need to forget about review scores, most of them were biased at the time depending on what machine the publication catered too. Back then the books were dedicated to individual machines not like today where they cover everything. Mario Kart was always the superior racer. CTR was alright for PS1 owners who didn't have an N64 but it wasn't better. In fact the best karting on PS1 was Speed Freaks and even that wasn't better than Mario Kart.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 18:02:27 GMT
MF says:
Speed freaks was a quality game -- would love to see that on the store - but perhaps better left in the past.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 18:14:46 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Dec 2012 18:41:40 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 21:57:20 GMT
Cheers for calling me slow matflan lol (or was it the op), i played the original but sega racing 2 just kicks butt im not saying mario kart is bad because it is great too.

I think its the template for kart racers going forward, if you have not played it just get it and see for yourselves.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 22:05:16 GMT
John morris says:
" Cheers for calling me slow matflan lol (or was it the op), i played the original but sega racing 2 just kicks butt im not saying mario kart is bad because it is great too.

I think its the template for kart racers going forward, if you have not played it just get it and see for yourselves. "

Lee psn/ozga82,

Without a doubt sonic racing will make nintendo shake things up a little for mario kart wii u,and this can only be a good thing as the level of detail found in sumo's game and nintendo's tight track design should make for the best mario kart ever.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 23:43:25 GMT
I think your probably right john, the guys making mario kart must have noticed how sumo went around this and who does not love a good bit of rivalry in any genre it always ends well when we have choice.

Posted on 30 Dec 2012 09:16:57 GMT
John morris says:
Lee psn/ozga82,

It would be great if both sumo and nintendo tried to outdo one another with all future karting games !
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  26 Dec 2012
Latest post:  7 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions